Old 04-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo97 View Post
The part I'm wondering about is the overstable driver.

I do own a few that would fit that category, but have yet to try to work any of them in as a 'regular' member of the bag.

How beneficial is it for a beginner to work an overstable driver in to the mix at that stage, especially if the arm strength/speed may not be up to the disc's specs?

I'm also curious about your thought behind having two drivers in the bag at that stage, when there's plenty of discussion out there about having a more minimal disc selection to start with and "building up" to slightly overstable drivers, then building up to the discs where the flight path drawing looks like a U turn.
This 'bag', obviously, is a different approach, and I'm just wondering why you recommend this approach as compared to others.
the overstable driver shouldnt be over like speed 7/8. so if you have even actually been playing for a yr total then you should be able to handle that. it is important to develop the overstable driver manipulation skills early on. the main reasons are wind control, spike hyzers, and FH. those 3 shots/skills are vital to anyones game.
now personally i dont suggest a firebird or predator to start. their a bit 'much' right off the bat. something more like a Banshee, or a MRV (Discontinued).
i personally feel bad for beginners today. with all the drivers out there its made it so much more difficult to 'accidentally' pick the right discs.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
Learning to play the fade is important in disc golf.
I like offering a Gazelle as a first driver. It fights the wind, can be easily shaped into many lines, and has a fade (until beat). Good all-in-one solution. Slow enough to get it flying well without much technique, and one that offers enough versatility so you can grow with it.

It may not be touchy enough to actually teach great form, but the golfer can have some occasional OAT during the learning process, and still have fun while driving.

Great thread, BTW. I'm definitely saving this thread, because I know I will point a few new players to it. Your CONSULTANT ribbon is well deserved.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
it is important to develop the overstable driver manipulation skills early on. the main reasons are wind control, spike hyzers, and FH. those 3 shots/skills are vital to anyones game.
That.

Of course you will learn more from trying to get your control driver to do that stuff, but I think learning how to use a very overstable driver is more important. I find that the really overstable driver is underused by a lot of beginners and really learning what you can do with a disc like that can help a lot.

The normal problem with beginners throwing discs that are too fast/overstable is that they'll try to get them to fly straight and end up adding a ton of OAT. If you don't expect the overstable driver to fly straight and you're working on driving with the rest of your discs then that won't be an issue.

I'll give an example. When I first started playing, this hole:

http://www.playdg.com/courses/?s=MN&c=rosland&h=6

used to be an important hole in deciding which of us scored the best. You had to throw a mid or driver (we couldn't get putters that far and even mids were pushing it) on a slight turnover to get close enough for a putt. Then one time I tried throwing a Spirit on a slight anhyzer to the right of that 'Y' shaped tree and I found I could park it almost every time. None of us had even considered that shot and rarely used overstable discs, but there was a shot available that was easy to perform and really consistent that we all had access too but didn't know it. Even the website suggests an understable disc.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:19 PM

Can we please sticky this?
Old 05-11-2011, 05:06 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent555 View Post
Can we please sticky this?
Done.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:08 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.2
I also think that it may be a benefit to have a subsection in the Technique boards for n00b advice.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 30
Suggestions for a new player

Sorry wrong thread
Old 05-27-2011, 12:39 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 10
I was just talking about doing this in another thread! I am going to keep two buzzzs for mids, and I am going to play with two beaded Aviars. Any opinions on this?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadreier View Post
I was just talking about doing this in another thread! I am going to keep two buzzzs for mids, and I am going to play with two beaded Aviars. Any opinions on this?
That depends, are the buzzzes different weights/plastics? what about the aviars?

carrying 4 discs when you only need 2 is dumb, but if they're gonna work different lines for you, its a good idea. When I started getting serious, I tore my bag down to 1 esp buzzz and a voodoo, best decision ever.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:36 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadreier View Post
what archetype said but would carry them if you are playing on a non-busy day and non-busy course that is well maintained (so you dont lose them and look for a bit) so you can try the shot again to try to understand what works and what doesn't and if you are doing something right or wrong and how to change that. You are not going to understand if you only throw one putt and move onto the next hole. playing on mornings and non busy days is a way to get better, or use the practice basket =). one of my friends buys a putter (rpro dart) everytime he buys a new driver. don't recommend throwing that disc myself but again i'd carry your aviars and buzzz's until you get that improvement your searching for (just don't be switching up and use the same disc maybe in slightly different weights). Just my humble opinion.

Last edited by Jivecody; 05-27-2011 at 02:38 AM.