Old 11-28-2016, 11:29 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Default Choosing disc weights

Just wondering how folks choose the weights of their discs. I tend to look for 175+ in mids and putters. My fairway drivers (TL and Leo3) are both 170+, but I think I should be throwing 160 - 165. So, when y'all go looking for discs, do you just pick out of what's on the shelf or go online and order in a specific weight class?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2016, 11:36 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 128

I really like playing with different weights for fun but do find the 168-17X to work well regardless of the mold.

There are lots of stable to OS molds which you can find in 150 or lower 160 versions that really give you some extra D/workability while still being plenty OS as designed. Other molds really pair up well with a max wt and lighter versions for unique flights too.

It really comes down to max D power IMO and then what molds a player really likes to use. If you prefer to throw faster stuff regardless of form issues sometimes lighter 150 stuff is great. I own a few 150 class molds myself and will bag from time to time even throwing 400'. If it is super windy that means you probably will have some crazy tailwind situations where those lighter discs fly like the max wts. Putters/mids in lighter weights can provide some nice finesse or extra glide too.

I wouldn't limit myself to one weight class at all but do think heavier discs are "better" for more advanced players and across all conditions plus they are readily available. Not all molds come in lighter weights so that can be an issue. Most any grown person has the ability to throw a 175 paperclips I imagine so it shouldn't be a huge concern given the different mold designs available. You can find some pretty understable glidey stuff at 170g+ really.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.7

My current bag is all 150g from putters to mids to fairways and drivers. I consciously made this change three years ago for several reasons, the biggest being that I was working on my form. Lighter stuff will usually amplify form flaws. There were other reasons but this was the biggest.

When I carried a normal weight bag I had:
Putters @ 175
Mids @ 180
All drivers from 168-175 depending on their role

And like Aim said, some discs work better in heavier weights (for me this would be the overstable stuff for extra wind resistance) and some discs work better in light weights (slow 150g finesse discs are great in the woods). If I am going for all out distance I am probably looking at a 166g Wraith or Destroyer.

To answer another of your questions, I have very specific weights AND geometries/PLH in mind when I'm shopping.

You (kind of) asked what weights you should be looking for; there are a lot of factors that go into that decision IMO. How far are you throwing your TL or Leo3? Are they your long distance drivers or do you carry some high speed stuff as well? Do you play in wind a lot or are you mostly in the woods? Do you have lots of elevation change at your courses? What elevation do you play at? Any injuries to work around? Etc.

Hope this helps...
Old 11-29-2016, 12:34 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH

Generally I don't buy them because it can be hit or miss and often times I feel like I just end up with an understable disc. That being said if I get my hands on a good one it definitely goes in my bag. I got a really sweet 159 champ firebird that does magical things with minimum effort, and as a result is one of the most predictable discs in my bag.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:30 AM
Birdie Member

I've yet to find much practical use for anything under about 165. There are exceptions, but very light discs tend to be inconsistent and more prone to flipping. I also find that I tend to grip lock them more frequently when I'm more used to throwing 170g+ discs.

Light discs also get tossed around more in the wind.

For all out bombing on long open courses I can see the allure of light discs, but for accuracy and consistency I simply won't reach for them.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 30

I range between 175 and 165 in my control drivers (fastest thing I throw) with my os discs being typically the heavy ones, and getting lighter as I head towards us.

I am pretty picky on color and weight, so I just wait until I find what I want, before I buy
Old 11-29-2016, 08:41 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
You (kind of) asked what weights you should be looking for; there are a lot of factors that go into that decision IMO. How far are you throwing your TL or Leo3? Are they your long distance drivers or do you carry some high speed stuff as well? Do you play in wind a lot or are you mostly in the woods? Do you have lots of elevation change at your courses? What elevation do you play at? Any injuries to work around? Etc.

Hope this helps...
The TL and Leo3 are my distance drivers for now. I'm getting them to about 300' - 330'ish (pacing off approximation). Not sure what they will be, though, when the doc says I can play again. I'll probably be throwing putters and mids for a few weeks while I relearn how to throw .
Old 11-29-2016, 10:02 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.7
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: LHBH

For distance drivers I prefer 165-170. I try not to throw something heavier than I can lift with my noodle arm.

My lightest disc is a 159 Blizzard Ape

My Fairways and control drivers range 165-172.

Most of my mids are 170-175. However, I do bag a 180 Buzzz OS for forehands / winds and this is the only disc over 175 I use.

Putters
173 Zone
175 Discmania P3
175 Medium Pure

For reference I am 48, 6 foot, 200 pounds and throw accurately to 340 feet.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 61

Weight is kind of a personal preference. I tend towards the heavies in all classes, and I'm sure that doesn't help my distance that much. Somehow it just makes me feel more comfortable, and I do believe it helps some with consistency and wind resistance.

That said, I'm not as convinced these days that 10 grams makes a huge difference. My lightest disc in the bag right now is a 165 C-line PD that I picked up because it had such a nice color and stamp that I forgot to check weight. Of course that's not really light, and PDs are fairly overstable, but I was initially disappointed not the weight until I threw it. Exactly the disc I was hoping for. If it's going to mess up your mental game to have light discs, then don't get light discs; but otherwise, I don't see a downside until you get down to the Blizzard type plastics and super low weights.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:02 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 12

I have bought discs in various weights and have thrown discs as light as 139g. These days I have settled on 167-170g as the sweet spot for me. I am certain I cannot pick up a disc and tell you the weight of it within 4 or 5g or even more so maybe picking a sweet spot is more mental than anything else?