Old 11-15-2016, 11:22 PM

Default sidearm throwing fairway drivers

Im a lefty side arm. I can drive around 400 with distance drivers. I used to throw straight lasers with tee birds and star tl's and then I stopped playing for a year or so and then got back into it again. I can still drive the distance drivers like before but my fairway drivers (tee birds, TLs, leopards just wobble and basically fly straight into the ground. I can't blame the discs and I feel like im throwing the same but clearly im not. My approaching to throwing them is not nearly as aggressive as when I throw a distance driver and I try to stay more compact and easy. I've tried 2 fingers, 1 finger but I just get the same wobbling embarrassing result to where I've all but given up on them and its unfortunate because they used to be a sure straight shot for me.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2016, 11:53 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1

Try a Banshee or a firm max weight Eagle-X. If you don't want to stick to Innova then the FD2, XXX, Spark, or Tyrant would work as well. As a 50/50 BH/FH thrower o suspect that you have a lot of OAT (Off Axis Torque) like I do, but I'm not sure how to fix that problem, though I have heard that understable mids to practice with help.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Can you FH a putter or midrange? Power up those discs from short range without flutter until they're going 200'+ or so easily then throw your fairways the same way.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
Try a Banshee or a firm max weight Eagle-X. If you don't want to stick to Innova then the FD2, XXX, Spark, or Tyrant would work as well. As a 50/50 BH/FH thrower o suspect that you have a lot of OAT (Off Axis Torque) like I do, but I'm not sure how to fix that problem, though I have heard that understable mids to practice with help.

Funny you say that because my bamshee has turned into my go to short drive and approach disc.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Can you FH a putter or midrange? Power up those discs from short range without flutter until they're going 200'+ or so easily then throw your fairways the same way.
I've tried these except it just doesn't work. Im left handed but putt with my right hand. I played a lot of baseball in my younger years and the motion of the swinging and foot work has me unable to throw back hand with my left. Basically im only a lefty side arm thrower and anything other than a driver seems to hold a hard right. Its frustrating. If I was throwing a Frisbee then I'd use my right hand. Much more accurate but obviously the distance isn't there being its not my strong arm
Old 11-16-2016, 08:37 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 18

interested in this thread, i have some of the same issues with FH, my mids and putters are especially wobbly
Old 11-16-2016, 09:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 42

Maybe you are not pinching tight enough. With the more aggressive driver throws you are probably getting a tighter grip without even knowing it.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:58 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH

I think there are two things that cause OAT. The main one is a change in wrist angle at release, either rolling under causing turn and burns or rolling back causing nose up flights. Another reason is he discs spin rate is not fast enough to match disc velocity. The gyroscopic effect is what makes the disc fly according to the numbers. Try reducing your arm speed and focus on the "snap" or making sure the disc is spinning and then add arm speed back until you can keep both under control. It doesn't take that much arm effort to make a disc fly straight and far.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:58 AM
Par Member

Also watch the Ricky Wysocki infinite discs sidearm clinic. His public speaking skills are cringe-worthy but there is a lot of good info there.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:01 AM
Par Member

Grab a stable putter like a Pig or Rhyno and just practice 100' shots with until there is absolutely zero wobble. Then move to Aviars or something less stable. And then eventually a Nova, Dart, or something neutral that will show any problems you have with your throw. After you can throw all of those with accuracy and confidence, move to midranges and do the same. Then finally go back and throw your drives and you'll be amazed and what distance you can get and how much accuracy you have.