Old 05-30-2016, 05:25 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 5
Default Tell us about a bad experience

So today I probably had one of the worst times playing DG ever.... A friend of ours who just started playing consistently a week or two ago beat me when I've been playing for about 2 months now. I shot 5 over on the front 9 and just your destroyed on the back 9 ending up at 17 over and the newer guy shot 16.... When they decided to play the course again on hole 2 I missed at 15 foot put that bounced out of the chains. Well it just so happened to land at the perfect angle that I could give it a good ole kicking. Poor soft wizard wasn't it's fault but still... One of the worst DG experienced I've ever had by far
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2016, 05:36 PM
Officially Retired

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 230
Throwing Style: RHFH

I played a course out in the middle of the rain forest in Oregon once where navigating the course was near impossible but I tried anyway. Not only did I lose the course I lost my bearings and forgot where the car was, the rest of the course or really where I was going. Couldn't find any sign of human life and wandered about for a half hour trying to find the course, the car, anything. Pretty embarrassing considering I'm an experienced hiker. Anyhow I used the compass on my phone to guide me back to the car and gave up on the course. A little scary there for second being alone and lost.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 1234
Throwing Style: RHBH

I can think of one time that I really wanted to sit down and cry and give up, I didn't but really wanted to.

I think I was second card at Lake Superior open, It's our 17th hole of the round, second round of the day - Eagles Peak followed by White Cedar at Mont du Lac. I'm still fairly early into the recovery of a shattered calcaneus (heel bone). I am sore and exhausted and ready to be done with the round.

I'm on that one hole, everybody knows the hole even if you've never played there, it's got that one area off to the right where as you're describing the hole you say "whatever you do, don't go over there" and there's that tempting hyzer line over there. So of course I go the hyzer line, and of course I end up over there, down the 60 foot embankment. I crawl down there to my disc, of course I have the option to retee, and of course I'm too stubborn thinking to myself "yeah, I can get up and down from here, just gotta throw this thumber line."

I throw the thumber, right to the top of the hill, easy hyzer look for an up and down, that of course tempts that hill again. I throw, hit an iron leaf, it drops straight down right on the crest of the hill and I hear the tell tale "tick, bump, tck tck" as the disc rolls back down the damn hill. I hike down to it holding back the tears of frustration and exhaustion, again too stubborn to rethrow, I toss it up and over the ridge, down the other side 100' past the basket. I hike to it, still holding back the said tears (ok, at this point I may have let a few tears leak through my eyelids) I toss up and drop it in for my 6. I can easily say that was the most frustrating point of my dg career.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 53

I was walking down the fairway and stepped on something squishy. When I investigated it was a kitten. I had stepped on his head and torso and his intestines squirted out his little butt hole. He was still moving so I stomped on him to put him out of his misery. We buried him under a Cottonwood tree and think of the little fellow every time we play that hole. My 7 year old daughter who was with us was really shaken by the experience so we watched Old Yeller that evening to calm her down.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by threevok View Post
I was walking down the fairway and stepped on something squishy. When I investigated it was a kitten. I had stepped on his head and torso and his intestines squirted out his little butt hole. He was still moving so I stomped on him to put him out of his misery. We buried him under a Cottonwood tree and think of the little fellow every time we play that hole. My 7 year old daughter who was with us was really shaken by the experience so we watched Old Yeller that evening to calm her down.
That's horrible
Old 05-30-2016, 07:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 19

^ Everyone parents a little differently.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 218
Throwing Style: LHBH

Especially the Old Yeller part---salt in the wound.

My buddy Derek from NC was playing a tourney that had the shore of a clear and quickly-deep lake(Fontana?) by its fairways. A drive he'd thrown rolled down the slope but stopped just short of the water. From a dicey stance he made his second throw.
He then squatted and leaned to pick up the first disc---and the back of his bag came to rest on his thigh, tilted forward, and rolled all of his discs out and into the water, where they quickly sank from sight.
He finished with a driver and midrange.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 41.1
Courses Played: 100

That time I threw my disc in the middle of the lake. That sucked.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by threevok View Post
Wow, that would have ruined my whole week, but i'm soft that way.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:19 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 1

Played the front 9 of sky high dgc at Wrightwood, CA to introduce my uncle to the game. Threw my brand new Sling (2016 trilogy mid) on a downhill, 300 foot left to right on a beautiful anny. The wind decided to lift the disc about 5 feet, just enough to clear the green and carry about 650' down the perfectly shaped gully... Twas a sad day.

Thumb smashed on my Galaxy Note 4