Old 03-07-2015, 08:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Why MUST We Throw Certain Discs?

Player X will say that they bought a certain disc and that they don't really gel with it, but are going to make it work, or keep it in the bag, give it a chance. Sort of forcing it to be a good disc for them.

I myself have probably said the same thing. Is it peer pressure? Is it because we feel obligated because of the money we spent? Why do we suffer through using a disc that we really don't like? It may only be a DGCR thing, I don't know. I don't want to need to throw a certain disc. If I don't like it, I'm just not gonna throw it. It should be as simple as that.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2015, 08:48 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
If I don't like it, I'm just not gonna throw it. It should be as simple as that.
It is that simple.

Why does it matter if someone else throws a disc for reasons you find silly?
Old 03-07-2015, 08:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.3
A lot of the time, I chalk it up to paying homage to the "tried and true." If so many people like it, it must be me, not the disc. For me, this happened with the Roc. I did not like it at all, at first, and I still prefer a Buzzz, but I have learned to appreciate that Rocs are good discs. And they continue to grow on me.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:10 PM
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 91
or maybe people say that, knowing it takes time to actually understand a disc..

I've never thrown a disc once and said "yeah, that's going to be a staple of my bag"...
Old 03-07-2015, 09:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
Player X will say that they bought a certain disc and that they don't really gel with it, but are going to make it work, or keep it in the bag, give it a chance. Sort of forcing it to be a good disc for them.

I myself have probably said the same thing. Is it peer pressure? Is it because we feel obligated because of the money we spent? Why do we suffer through using a disc that we really don't like? It may only be a DGCR thing, I don't know. I don't want to need to throw a certain disc. If I don't like it, I'm just not gonna throw it. It should be as simple as that.
Pretty sure team Prodigy was saying this to themselves at the beginning.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:14 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 10
For me i'm relatively new to disc golf and I'm still looking for discs that I really like so I'm always getting new discs and trying them out. With that I always give the disc a chance to break in. I may not throw it at a tournament or at league but I will throw it in the field and see if i can get it to work for me. Once I find certain discs that I really like I will probably just replace them as they beat in and change.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:15 PM
Birdie Member

I've seen both sides.

I tried a champion teebird when I was new and didn't care for it. I tried it again 4 years later and fell in love.

On the other hand I have tried every type of ROC I could get my hands on and hated them. I want to like ROCS. I should like ROCS. All the cool kids use ROCS. But alas, ROCS feel terrible in my hand and just don't fly well for me.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:17 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotnt73 View Post

On the other hand I have tried every type of ROC I could get my hands on and hated them. I want to like ROCS. I should like ROCS. All the cool kids use ROCS. But alas, ROCS feel terrible in my hand and just don't fly well for me.
I have the same issues with ROCS. I can't get them to come cleanly out of my hands.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:22 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 106
I LOVE TO THROW MVP! but really, I could throw anything and be happy. This is just disc golf and most any disc I have ever thrown can fly given how you use/learn it... hell I started playing disc golf with some random innova discs and pretty sure once said I didn't even need a putter'

We have to throw THIS or THAT disc b/c its fun to be a fan of a product. This is common anywhere you look and disc golf is just a fun niche we all get to bitch over it all. No different than ford vs chevy really but no one but us actually care

Old 03-07-2015, 09:22 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 15
When I first started I tried for over a year to throw and putt with P&A Aviars because so many folks recommended them and said I should get used to it. I hated it from day one and on. That was then. Now I use Yeti's, I found I like the feel and the bead.

I think it takes some trial and error to find the types of discs you're comfortable with. Once you figure that part out for yourself, it gets much easier to discard discs that don't meet ones expectations.

Sometimes a disc just sucks, other times the disc is fine and I just don't care for it and it gets traded off. Other times I just toss the uncertain ones in a closet and revisit them next year.

Life's too short to get used to a disc you don't gel with. Screw the fan boys and haters, learn your own game.