Old 05-18-2009, 02:30 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 31
Introducing kids to the game

So here's a little background I have a 3 1/2 old daughter and a 1 year old son. They both play with minis and full size discs. They're always around to help me play Perfect Putt 360 by taking my putters and putting them in the basket if I miss. =)

Do any of you have kids that play? What was your experience like? I would like for disc golf to be our family "thing" but don't want to force anything so they end up hating it.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: RHBH
My buddy has a 4 month old boy that is definitely going to forced into DG. We have a running joke that the kid will be a prodigy except for the fact that his dad will only let him play with a Roadrunner since that's virtually all he throws.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 81
There are some things you have to do to keep them interested.

1. Don't make them tee from the same tee as you but make a "Kid Tee" that's closer to the basket, especially for the very young and or beginners. I will usually find a stick laying around and lay it down for the kid's tee or I'll say wherever my first drive lands will be the kid's tee. Once they get good they will want to move back to the normal tees.

2. Keep score and track their scores. My 9 year old daughter has beat me or her mom on hundreds of holes and nothing makes her happier.

3. One disc is all a kid needs. A light weight stable midrange (Shark or Roc) is best. A light weight stable putter is good too.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:37 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinding View Post
3. One disc is all a kid needs. A light weight stable midrange (Shark or Roc) is best. A light weight stable putter is good too.
I agree with this, but when I took a friend's kids out earlier this year they saw me using different discs and really wanted to be able to carry around a couple different ones themselves. I gave each one a shark and an aviar, and it didn't really matter which one they threw on most of their shots, but they loved getting to pick out their disc each time like a 'real' disc golfer.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 34
My 4 yearr old loves carrying his own bag like everyone else, he wants to try different discs but generally only tees off then walks with me to my disc and plays again from there. Right now he will only throw a flick (forehand), no point forcing the backhand, i'm sure he will do that when he is ready.
He is obsessed with the sport, he wants to play everyday!
Old 05-18-2009, 05:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 54
I don't have a lot of experience with kids, but I have seen some very young kids make some shots that would put me to shame. Just start them off with a Mid and a putter, as light as possiable.

I did play with guy that brought along his 8 year old son, and we would let him tee about half way to the basket. He seemed to have a good time.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
So here's a little background I have a 3 1/2 old daughter and a 1 year old son. They both play with minis and full size discs. They're always around to help me play Perfect Putt 360 by taking my putters and putting them in the basket if I miss. =)

Do any of you have kids that play? What was your experience like? I would like for disc golf to be our family "thing" but don't want to force anything so they end up hating it.
i take my 10 year old step son out back and have him try to drive to a certain point in the yard. i help him on his form and he helps me in the wood shop in return.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:16 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.8
Courses Played: 3
Future world champions.

I am fifty. I did not start competing in events till 98. I threw my first disc golf related disc in 94... sure I threw frisbees in the 70's but that is not the same and we all know it.

I have done well at events... but my point is I can only imagine what my skillset would be if I had started at 3 1/2 or one year old.

Good gawd.

Make it fun. Teach them form early. Wow. You could have the next Climo on your hands.
Why the heck not? Gotta come from some dad. Why not you.

Last edited by innova; 05-19-2009 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:41 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: LHBH
I've got an 11 year old daughter and 4 year son and would love it if they got interested. One big reason I don't play more than I do is because I hate playing alone. I've taken them to the course one time and they both really seemed to like it but until we all get a little better, I might try bring just one of them at a time. The little one can get side-tracked pretty quickly.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:19 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by asu225 View Post
I've got an 11 year old daughter and 4 year son and would love it if they got interested. One big reason I don't play more than I do is because I hate playing alone. I've taken them to the course one time and they both really seemed to like it but until we all get a little better, I might try bring just one of them at a time. The little one can get side-tracked pretty quickly.
i agree with leaving the little ones at home i dont know how many times ive thrown on a blind hole only to get up there a find a toddler playing around with the basket while mommy and daddy f around with the cooler .

im not totally against bringing little kids but you need to watch them like a hawk making sure youve got them covered if some heat comes in. Also be considerate of your other dgrs too you dont know how much it scares us when after we throw a 100 yard drive some little kid comes running out of knowwhere and we realize we could have just nailed them 100 feet from the tee.
If you wanna bring the babies do it during the week before 3:00 otherwise just leave them at home thye really dont care about playing dg anyway . I know you guys wanna get em started early but preschool is just a little too soon.