Old 04-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 46
Dangerous design in Cape Girardeau.

Hey guys, I just played the new course in Cape Girardeau, Mo. today.
It's a 10 hole course with concrete teepads and Discatcher pins.
It is set in a very busy park. That's not good but not out of the ordinary.
My problem is that childrens playgrounds are in the middle of some fairways.
Here is a letter I wrote to Troy Vaughn. Supposedly he has something to do with this impending problem.
http://www.semo.edu/recservices/news/index_33923.htm

{{{{{{Troy, I just played the new course at Capaha park and am very concerned for the public safety.
Hole #1 plays over a street that has cars frequently passing by. Dangerous/bad design.
Hole #2 plays over that same street and goes over a parking lot. Dangerous/bad design. Cars will be hit and dented.
Hole #3 is the only hole that is almost safe enough. The pavilion to the right will still come into play.
Hole #4 plays right into a playground. Not only is this a bad design but there will be lawsuits galore when innocent children get hit and sent across the street to the hospital.
Hole #5 plays down the same fairway as hole #4. Bad design as it too brings the playground into play.
Hole #6 is fairly safe but Broadway will come into play if the wind is up. .
Hole #7 has Broadway coming into play on windy days.
Hole #8 has Broadway coming into play and there will be cars hit and possibly cracking windshields. Very dangerous and very bad design.
Hole #9 also has Broadway to the right and then has to go over a park road then a park bench is right there close by. Bad design here too.
Hole 10 goes over a road,and a pool to the left which discs will find there way into all summer long plus you have a pavillion right in the fairway then another playground just beyond that.

Sir, I am very glad that someone took the initiative to put a disc golf course in but it seems there was no thought as to where and how it was put in. I am not a course designer but I have played numerous courses and NONE are as dangerous as Capaha park.. I don't want to see any child hurt with these dangerous discs. Capaha park is way too busy for a disc golf course.

I know I sound like an alarmist here but my concern is for public safety. Before you open this course up you should get together with city planners or the parks dept. and discuss these issues before they become problems.

Please feel free to e-mail me back if you have any questions.
Mark Cook}}}}}}}}

Is there something else I could do here? Somebody is def. gonna get hurt.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: LHBH
I think you may be coming on very strong, but perhaps that is whats needed to wake the designer up to the safety issues. Maybe he doesnt play?

I'd be scared to hit a kid, these suckers would hurt.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

I really don't want to see anyone hurt. If you stood on those teepads like I just did you would freak the heck out. Are there any disc golfers from Cape Girardeau or nearby that might know who designed this disaster?
Old 04-21-2011, 11:17 PM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 192
I think that's a reasonably worded letter, if the design is truly as dangerous as it sounds.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

The thing is I will probably not play it again till December or January when there will be nobody around.
I could just leave this alone and have a whotheheckcares attitude. I will take a camera back over there and take a few pics. As you can see from the arial view 4 and 5 play the exact fairway. You can't see the playground equipment dead square in the way. And Broadway(very very busy road) plays along the right side of 7 8 and 9. Any wind, and windshields will crush and crack!
Old 04-21-2011, 11:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Just got the response back and Troy sounds like a good guy. I don't think he realizes how far a disc can go and not go where it's thrown. I need a St. Louis player to come down and meet me for a quick round and get his thoughts.

{{{{Mark - lots of thought went into the planning of the holes - lots. I appreciate your concerns - really do. I will pass these along.

We just didn't walk out there and blindly pick spots. As you know, the park is smaller so spacing is limited.

Signage is coming with directions, maps, a few boundary lines, etc. As with many courses in parks, there are golf hazards. The pool is being torn down next month and we knew that going in.

The roads you speak within the park are lightly used. We also know that players must be careful when the park is full with activities and events. We will have the ability to skip holes if needed. Thus, the reason for 10 holes. Signage will indicate this.

We do have the ability to move baskets if we see a significant need and we also know players will need some common sense while playing the course.

I'd be happy to talk with you more regarding your concerns. I too played it and we readjusted a few things based on those aspects as well.

Tv}}}}}}
Old 04-21-2011, 11:44 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 586
Throwing Style: RHBH
Talk to Dave McCormack at Gateway for some additional support.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Talk to Dave McCormack at Gateway for some additional support.
This is 100 miles south of St. Louis and they are using Innova baskets. It's also just a 10 hole course so I doubt he is the one to contact.
I should just shut up and let the chips fall where they may.
Good luck Cape Girardeau and may you go accident free.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:23 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 130
Throwing Style: RHBH
Dave does course design everywhere. He designed our course in Rolla, 103 miles away from the Lou. The park was trying to reach him after it went in and he was installing a course in Georgia. So 100 miles is no big deal to him.

Dave got in the middle of of an unsafe course dispute with Hannibal a few years back. It got really ugly, and eventually Innova sent Chappy (a PDGA Course Marshall) out to inspect the design. I'm pretty sure they had to make some changes to the design after that, although not nearly the drastic changes McCormack was calling for.

Innova may have a certain amount of product liability with the baskets, so they probably don't like unsafe designs using their baskets. If you are really that worried about it, you can try contacting Innova and see what they say.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Thanks Three Putt, I just might do that. If you are ever around Cape please stop in and give me your input.