Disc Golf Store
Old 05-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 5
Help with accuracy

I have been playing off and on for about 4 years. Up until this year I only cared about getting out and hanging w/ my friends. This year I am actually trying to improve my game. So far everything I know has pretty much been self taught. I've watched the Dan Beato video on YouTube and just watched other players. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something. I can throw fairly accurately to about 200' (I'm guessing). But once I start trying to put some power into it the discs go right. They are nice straight drives, just going the wrong way. So here is my question: What do I need to do to learn to drive accurately with distance? Are there DVDs that would help me? Do I just need to go throw in a field for hours on end? Do I need to find a clinic near me? I'm at a loss of where to go from here.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLAD View Post
I have been playing off and on for about 4 years. Up until this year I only cared about getting out and hanging w/ my friends. This year I am actually trying to improve my game. So far everything I know has pretty much been self taught. I've watched the Dan Beato video on YouTube and just watched other players. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something. I can throw fairly accurately to about 200' (I'm guessing). But once I start trying to put some power into it the discs go right. They are nice straight drives, just going the wrong way. So here is my question: What do I need to do to learn to drive accurately with distance? Are there DVDs that would help me? Do I just need to go throw in a field for hours on end? Do I need to find a clinic near me? I'm at a loss of where to go from here.
1) Throw accurate discs (midranges)

2) Practice at least once in a field for every round you go play.

3) Discs turn right for only a few reasons:

They are being thrown faster than they are designed to fly
They're being thrown with too much nose down
They are being thrown with an anhyzer release
They're too old and beat and you need new ones
You release the disc toward the right (griplock)
You're applying the infamous off-axis-torque (OAT.)

The first five are pretty easy to fix on your own. The last seems to be a life-long quest.

I suggest you spend a little money on a new mid-range (say a Roc or a Buzz or something else reasonably stable) and a new fairway driver (say a TL, a Teebird or similar) and go out to a field for an hour and practice NOT throwing to the right (aim left, hyzer release with more stable discs). I cut 10 throws off my rounds the first month I actually started practicing instead of just playing.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:31 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 816
Throwing Style: RHBH
If you are doing any kind of run up to your drives, you might try eliminating that for the time being, and just work on your accuracy from a standstill. Once you get more consistency, you could add back steps one at a time and try to keep that same consistency. Worked for me.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeChump View Post
3) Discs turn right for only a few reasons:

They are being thrown faster than they are designed to fly
They're being thrown with too much nose down
They are being thrown with an anhyzer release
They're too old and beat and you need new ones
You release the disc toward the right (griplock)
You're applying the infamous off-axis-torque (OAT.)
Out of these I think my issue is griplock. The discs don't seem to have any anhyzer when I release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeChump View Post
I suggest you spend a little money on a new mid-range (say a Roc or a Buzz or something else reasonably stable) and a new fairway driver (say a TL, a Teebird or similar) and go out to a field for an hour and practice NOT throwing to the right (aim left, hyzer release with more stable discs). I cut 10 throws off my rounds the first month I actually started practicing instead of just playing.
I only have about 4 discs and was thinking of getting some more for practice. I'll be sure to get ones that you suggest. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
If you are doing any kind of run up to your drives, you might try eliminating that for the time being, and just work on your accuracy from a standstill. Once you get more consistency, you could add back steps one at a time and try to keep that same consistency. Worked for me.
For me to get any accuracy I have to throw from standing still. It is when I add steps or a pull that I have issues. Not sure I'm using the term pull right. To get an accurate 200' shot I am throwing from my right pec standing still.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Bogey Member

Ok, after looking at the distances on my home course again I am more likely only throwing between 125' and 150' accurately.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 33
If you're only throwing 125 accurately, it sounds like you need to work on your form. Practice, practice, practice. I can probably only throw 125 too if I don't bring the disc past my right pec.

The key to adding distance is to use your body rather than your arm to throw.

Start out facing the basket, then gradually turn your body more and more to the left. Your distance will get longer each time. Then, when you're perpendicular (shoulders in line with the basket) you can start taking the disc further back. First to your left pec, then a little past your body, then as far as you can reach. Your drive starts in your feet, then your hips, back, and shoulders, arm, and wrist. Once you can do that well, it's time to learn an X-step. The purpose of a run-up is NOT to get a little more speed, it is to get your body even more wound up than you could otherwise. I laugh when I see Barneys doing a run up and not x-stepping. What's the point?
Old 05-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 10
To improve accuracy I would say to practice from a standstill, use your elbow and shoulder as a guide for direction.
Don't forget to allow your body rotate, a good followthrough should pull your back leg up from it's plant and wrap it around the front of your body, following the lead of your throwing arm, this will add torque to the throw, but should keep the accuracy you need because you don't ever need to take your eyes of the prize.
Also be aware of your forward motion, from a standstill its more of a weight shift from back leg to front as the disc passes the center line of you torso.
After this motion is ingrained into your subconcious, add the steps to it.
Just my two cents...
Old 05-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 34
One thing that has helped me with accuracy is to think of it like playing catch with an imaginary person/dog. Bear in mind I'm not very accurate backhand yet but this strategy has taken me from only hitting my lines on dumb luck to getting them about a third of the time on purpose. Its a work in progress and I'm in very much the same scenario as you, having only been casual to hang with friends until this year.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 102
Something that practically eliminated all my grip lock issues was when I adopted the stack grip.
This is the article that pic came from, pretty helpful, just make sure your pull is straight, i.e. your not pulling through in an arc and you should be better.
http://discgolfreview.com/resources/...ttoripit.shtml

Old 05-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 147
Just chiming in to say thanks for all the replies. I'm in the same boat as the OP, but with under a year of experience.

Still trying to figure out all the variables like form, grip, and appropriate disc types and every time I come on here I learn something new.