Old 05-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 24
Rules Question -Any issues with this maneuver?

Was playing in a regular weekly club round last weekend - This is a relatively casual league but saying that, I have been called for falling putts inside the 30' ring, I have been on cards where strokes have been called for discs in a questionable water hazard, 2 meter rule, etc. So, casual but with rules enforced.

I noticed the leader on our card happened to drive right behind a large tree. When marking his disc, instead of putting the mini at the top edge of the disc, he took the mini out, started it at the top of the disc then moved the mini counter clockwise around the disc, keeping it in contact with the edge of the disc. He marked his mini at about 9 o'clock on the disc. This bought him 3-4" of space around the tree. He took his shot.

I did not call him on it, no one on the card called him on it. I just noticed it and wondered if it was cool to do this when marking a shot. I assume that since it's no closer to the hole and because the marker was in contact with the original disc that there is no rules violation on this move.

thanks
Old 05-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
I was under the impression that the marker needed to be on a straight line towards the basket from the lie of the disc.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:09 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 31
The marker has to be placed in line with the basket.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 317
AFAIK, placing the marker to the side of the disc and not on the line of play, to allow for more lateral leverage around an obstacle is a no-no, even if its just a few inches you're getting out of it.

What is perfectly legal is simply using the thrown disc as a marker itself. This way they can be an extra 8" back from the tree as opposed to placing the mini.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 34
Good to know, thats how I've been marking. So if I need to go around a tree I use the original throw as the marker to buy me a little more space.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:27 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Mutt View Post
Good to know, thats how I've been marking. So if I need to go around a tree I use the original throw as the marker to buy me a little more space.
Exactly, no need to mark a lie as long as you don't want to throw that same disc. If you do mark it, it has to be on the line of play, which is the line straight from the basket through your lie.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 24
Well, it doesn't surprise me that this was an illegal move. To be honest, when I first saw it happen, my first thought was "something stinks". My gut is usually right. The fact that the mini continued to make contact with the original disc made me doubt whether this was legal or not.

Ever notice that those who best know the rules are the one's most likely to stretch them? Is this just my experience? I am a lifelong ball golf player, some of those years competitive, and I just don't remember running into such problems. Perhaps it is because the rules of ball golf have been around for years and years, much longer than the rules of disc golf...

Let me just say this:
Maybe since the PDGA continues to tweak/change the rules, many have lost their handle on the rules, for example: Ruling on OB - Used to be that if any part of the disc was in, the disc was playable and not OB. Now, I understand that if any part of the disc is over the OB line, it's OB. Two meter rule is another example, no?

I can't pull out my PDGA rule book and point to a ruling about anything. I think most of my fellow players are in the same boat. I know it's my responsibility to know the rule book inside and out, especially when playing in tournaments, but I've read through it several times and there are lots of grey areas/obscurity. It seems that the PDGA would be doing itself and the sport a service if it could simplify and come out with a boiled down set of rules/principles that most could grasp.

Long story short, the game I play in on the weekend it semi-casual, semi-competitive and if someone feels the need to stretch the rules, pencil-whip the card, etc. to beat their friends that's their problem/insecurity. We're playing for plastic tags after all.

My goal is to just have a good understanding of the rules of disc golf so I don't violate them unknowingly.

anyway, thanks for your great input as always
Old 05-20-2009, 01:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by milow369 View Post
Ruling on OB - Used to be that if any part of the disc was in, the disc was playable and not OB. Now, I understand that if any part of the disc is over the OB line, it's OB. Two meter rule is another example, no?

incorrect on the ob- the only thing that changed is the line itself is now defined as out rather than in. still remains that if any part is in disc is in.

two meter rule- good riddance.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 12
This is a good example of why I don't play " casual leagues" where money is involved.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 317
Just to clarify a couple of things:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Exactly, no need to mark a lie as long as you don't want to throw that same disc. If you do mark it, it has to be on the line of play, which is the line straight from the basket through your lie.
One exception to this rule. If the direct line from the basket to your disc runs the wrong side of a mandatory, you use the mandatory object instead of the basket to mark your lie. Per section D below.

http://www.pdga.com/rules/80312-mandatories

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
two meter rule- good riddance.
Not necessarily. The two meter rule was never fully abolished. It was left to each tournament director's discretion. Some places have abandoned it, and some have not.

http://www.pdga.com/rules/80308-disc...laying-surface