Old 05-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: RHBH
Time to change technique or discs?

A little bit of bakground: I started playing in October, throw around 150-180 feet and am recovering from a cracked pelvis caused by a collision with a clueless snowboarder in January.

Just in the last 2 weeks, my understable discs started turning over for me a bit. Then, this week I was finally physically able to add the X-step back into my throw and I find I'm pretty consistently turning over my Star Valk, new X Surge, XL, and Champ Leopard. That was a pretty big break through for me ! However, I'm also finding that now all my really understable discs like my Pro TL, Champ Sidewinder, Champ Monarch, and my beat X Surge are heading right from the git-go and never coming back .

Does this indicate a technique flaw I need to fix, or is it time to change my selection of discs? If it's a technique thing, what can I do to fix it? If it's a disc thing, do I need to just start upping the weights (currently throwing all 150s), or do I start choosing more stable discs? I'm finding that I'm really liking the XL and the Eagle now, too.

God. The more I do this, the more hooked I get. There needs to be a 12-step program for DG!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 19
Well first congrats on the break-through. It is always awesome to see marked improvement like that. I would suggest two things. 1) Get a disc that you currently have in a heavier weight, 165gs or so. 2) Get a more stable disc in 150g or so. That should allow you determine what kind of discs that you need to continue your improvement.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy
I second the heavier and probably the more stable too.

I don't want to give too much advice because I really have no right but my wife throws a similar distance with similar discs as you. The only thing turning over on her is her stingray and we have had that since before 2000...so its probably just dead...got her a new kite to replace it.

I throw in the middle of the chart for stability.

I really like my Gazelles and I just got a Latitude 64 Core which is a pretty damn sweet stable mid.

Does your boyfriend/hubby (cannot remember) throw anything stable? Maybe worth trying a few.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 33
A few options:

1) Upgrade the bag
-Same discs, just newer
-same discs, better plastic
-Same discs, just heavier
-More stable molds

2) Start throwing hyzer flips

3) Fix an OAT problem (all that turns is not increased power)

4) Beg borrow and steal
Old 05-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.4
Courses Played: 35
It's not easy to really give advice without seeing you throw... but unless your Star Valkyrie is just beat to a pulp, it's hard to imagine getting high speed turn with it on a throw under 200 feet. I have to suspect you are rolling your wrist over. Have someone watch your throws paying attention to the angle it's leaving your hand. Is it flat or is the outside edge up?
Old 05-21-2009, 10:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neophyte View Post
Well first congrats on the break-through. It is always awesome to see marked improvement like that. I would suggest two things. 1) Get a disc that you currently have in a heavier weight, 165gs or so. 2) Get a more stable disc in 150g or so. That should allow you determine what kind of discs that you need to continue your improvement.
Thanks! I'm pretty excited!

Looks like maybe I need to steal my 168 Monarch back from hubby and see if that changes things.....

I'm figuring my purple Surge (beat bad) is just toast because my red Surge (newish) turns and then comes back like it's supposed to. Time to put the red one in the bag, along with the Eagle, I guess. (Dern it....I've got a bigger bag, but just can't carry it when it's full yet Yikes!)
Old 05-21-2009, 10:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy
Good news is, all that understable stuff you have makes great rollers once you learn how to do it!
Old 05-21-2009, 11:00 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 10
Don't toss the beat discs! Having a consistant right turn in the bag is Handy
Congrats on the Power increase! Monarch should help.I am gonna say it
Get a Teebird, you won't regret it!
Just my two cents...
Old 05-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 15
Send a message via Yahoo to djext1
I would second the teebird.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:52 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny View Post
It's not easy to really give advice without seeing you throw... but unless your Star Valkyrie is just beat to a pulp, it's hard to imagine getting high speed turn with it on a throw under 200 feet. I have to suspect you are rolling your wrist over. Have someone watch your throws paying attention to the angle it's leaving your hand. Is it flat or is the outside edge up?
I'd have to agree. At the distance you are getting is probably some sort of OAT. If you were flipping them due to power they would be going farther.