Old 05-22-2009, 02:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 98
Throwing Style: RHBH
Your TL should be a stable disc, not an understable disc, unless it is really beat. To me this says that there is something in your technique that needs to change. Look at grip and release angles and really take time to look at them. I used to put a bunch of Anhyzer on my discs and the last minute from something in my release. This was fixed by a change in grip and a chnage in arm motion. Now things are wonderful and I just need to develop some consistency.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 187
"TL"... "stable"? Huh?

http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/index.html
Old 05-22-2009, 03:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERicJ View Post
Its not overstable and its not understable, it is just plain stable.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:46 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 28
It sounds like in an attempt to get more distance you may be unintenionally anhyzering everything. I have a tendency to do that when I need to throw a bomb and it can cause understable discs to go right and never come back.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:58 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 3
RHBH

Overstable goes to the left
Stable straight
Understable goes to the right

When I hear someone say... "that disc is stable"
to me... that means it goes straight.

We on the same page?
Old 05-22-2009, 04:09 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalbotTrojan View Post
Its not overstable and its not understable, it is just plain stable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by innova View Post
RHBH

Overstable goes to the left
Stable straight
Understable goes to the right

When I hear someone say... "that disc is stable"
to me... that means it goes straight.

We on the same page?
I think you are.

The Leopard, Cheetah and TL are perceived by some people as less stable than they are. Really, none of the Innova "fairway" drivers are all that understable. If you torque them they will flip, but the natural flight of these discs are more neutral stable than flippy. They get mis-labeled as "turnover" discs becasue you CAN turn them over, but you have to throw them that way. A nice clean flat release with those discs will get you a nice straight flight.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:12 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 3
Quote:
If you torque them they will flip, but the natural flight of these discs are more neutral stable than flippy.
Not sure I agree with the premise. In some instances the "natural" flight is meant to be at high speed on some discs... so that is what my perspective of natural would be.

Some folks cannot achieve that level of torque, no doubt... and to them everything is overstable?

I do agree about mislabeling in some instances. I can turn any disc over... is my take on the matter... Even a monster or firechicken and we all can agree those are not understable.

Something like a monster won't "flip" for very long-- that is for sure.

Last edited by innova; 05-22-2009 at 05:16 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalbotTrojan View Post
Your TL should be a stable disc, not an understable disc, unless it is really beat. To me this says that there is something in your technique that needs to change. Look at grip and release angles and really take time to look at them. I used to put a bunch of Anhyzer on my discs and the last minute from something in my release. This was fixed by a change in grip and a chnage in arm motion. Now things are wonderful and I just need to develop some consistency.
As far as I can tell, every thing seems to coming out flat and straight, but I'll have someone take a look....I keep hoping hubby will do that for me, but he always just shrugs. Sigh.

I should also say that my noted distances are coming on a really wooded course. I'm thinking that in an open field, I may be getting closer to the 200' mark - when I practiced at a our local baseball field, I threw the Leo Pard , Valk, and Surge fence-to-fence, but there's no distances marked, so I'd just be guessing.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 5
Check out this thread... http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ead.php?t=3449

I think we are having the same issue and got some good advice in that thread. I tried the grip suggested on there last night and it made a huge difference. Discs actually went in the direction I wanted.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:26 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
If you torque them they will flip, but the natural flight of these discs are more neutral stable than flippy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by innova View Post
Not sure I agree with the premise. In some instances the "natural" flight is meant to be at high speed on some discs... so that is what my perspective of natural would be.

Some folks cannot achieve that level of torque, no doubt... and to them everything is overstable?

I do agree about mislabeling in some instances. I can turn any disc over... is my take on the matter... Even a monster or firechicken and we all can agree those are not understable.

Something like a monster won't "flip" for very long-- that is for sure.
I don't disagree. I think on the high-speed drivers there are many cases of people mis-understanding the true flight of the disc based off the inability to get the disc up to speed. However, for those people the discs should appear to be very overstable VS the intended flight. It does not take as much power to get the fairway drivers up to speed, so that problem is less common in those discs. What I see more often with the "fairway" drivers is poor form causing the disc to turn over.

I DO see the two problems going hand in hand. People who cannot get a high speed driver up to speed will torque them to counteract the hyzer effect. They use bad form to straighten out a disc they don't have the power to throw. Then then apply the same mechanics to a fairway driver and it flips over. The shame is that if they would use good mechanics the fairway driver would be longer and more consistent than the high speed driver they are wrecking their form to throw.

You are also correct that you certainly can turn anything over. A guy I used to play with all the time used one driver, and it was a Viper. He could throw a turnover shot with a Viper. He also had mad skills that I could not replicate. If I had tried to throw turnover shots with a Viper, I'd have gotten dejected and quit playing. Fortunately for me they made the Stingray, so I didn't have to flip a Viper.