Old 05-22-2009, 04:24 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 24
Small Tweak in posture - huge results in my drive

Sorry in advance for the book - I'll put the most pertinent stuff up top. Not sure everyone will find this useful or interesting but for those who do, I am trying to make it as clear as possible. I am open to criticism, further instruction, whatever, so feel free to comment.

I made a serious breakthrough on my drive/throw. I attribute it to a small change in my posture before, during, and after my throw. This might help those out who are currently doing what I was doing so I'll share it. I also wonder if any of the big arms out there focus specifically on this aspect going into the box (starting with and maintaining an "tall" posture through their throw and follow through) I would also like to hear of similar breakthroughs that you have made with your own drive/throw.

Jumping to the punch line for those who don't want to read a book:

I have found that standing upright, or tall, going into my pre-shot routine, throw, and into my followthrough greatly improves both my distance and accuracy of my drives. I would say my distance was in the 325' range now I can hit 350'-390' and more. I am hitting more lines now than I ever have.

This tall approach gets me more on the balls of my feet for one. It gets my shoulders up/square and my back straight. It allows me to have a more horizontal pull of the disc (or allows me to start my pull flat and come slightly down to my line) as opposed to starting lower and having a slight upward pull to the same line. (Note: I am not talking about throwing a big anhyzer or big hyzer)

This tall approach makes my entire right side, especially my outer right arm, tri/bicep shoulder and pec feel like a cocked lever loaded, strong, and ready to fire. I feel as if I can get a lot more rpms on the disc because I am pulling the outer edge of a flat disc and that pull extends up my arm and originates in my right shoulder/side. I feel a sense of leverage that I didn't feel before down my shoulder/back/right leg/and down to the outside of my right foot. I find now that my turn is eased and my follow through ends up naturally "windmill-like'. My height of release is now higher than it used to be and I can use the weight of the disc to get momentum during the throw instead of having to lift the weight of the disc in addition to the throw. Going into the hit I am a little taller so I can now better shift my weight slightly down/forward to exaggerate the snap. I find that my disc now comes off on the line I want, steady, and it comes off hot! It feels like Christmas in May and it's all because I am standing 1-2" taller - amazing!

This talks about my routine before and after this adjustment:

My Previous Routine - Relaxed (abbreviated):
I would clear my head, walk up to the box, check out the teepad, look at my line, check my grip and think about my footing, think about what angle I wanted the disc to come out of my hand, check the wind, maybe do a quick mock snap or two of the disc on the angle that I want to achieve. This all happens in the course of 8 to 10 seconds or something.

I get set at the back of the box, relax, breathe out. I feel a low center of gravity, loose in the knees, feeling powerful in the legs. I start my run up with as smooth a tempo as possible, the disc goes back, I remind myself to keep it armpit height, I pull, snap hard, and follow through. I got to the point where I was achieving a 300-350' drive but it was often erratic, with somewhat inconsistent lines and results.

I realized that my "relaxed" stance was comfortable and loose-feeling but it was actually somewhat slumped/lazy (too relaxed). It felt very powerful in the hamstrings and legs but it put me on my heels and actually hindered my movement and my turn. It caused me to start my throw from a lower position and felt like I was throwing uphill to get to my line. It seemed to somewhat constrict my followthrough. It was common for me to pull the disc and find the trees on the right as I spun out somewhat uncontrollably, or I would release too soon and would lose it to the left. Sometimes I would get one down the middle at a decent distance but sometimes they just lacked punch.

My Routine Now - Tall (abbreviated):
Now, I do the same routine as above but when I "relax" I actually stand up straight, shoulders up, chest out, right arm/grip sttrong, feeling more on the balls of my feet. Almost as if someone was checking my height and I was trying to eek out an extra inch up against the wall. Don't confuse what I'm talking about with getting stiff in the arms and chest - that's not good, not what you're looking for. It's more like setting a new, upright reference height for myself and keeping that reference through the entire throw including the followthrough. I still feel comfortable and relaxed, it just feels more controlled. It's more like my arm is stiff because it is flexed along with my bicep, tricep, arm and it all goes down to my grip which is solid. I feel more in control, not less.

If anything, I would say that this tweak actually puts me in a position to get a smoother run up, turn and a much better, more natural "windmill" followthrough.

Misc:

Again, sorry for the book

I have to give credit to Dan Beato. His video on youtube is great (Search Dan Beato, driving technique). He provides a great example of a technically-corrrect form and how to work up to the hit. Now that I think about it my throw has been evolving for the last 5 months since watching that video, it happened without me really knowing about it. I was scoring great one hole, crappy the other. I was throwing with proper technique then reverting back to my sloppy technique, proper, sloppy, etc., etc., . Finally I figured it out and started throwing from a taller stance. A bunch of stuff just clicked.

This has also helped my midrange game, along with watching the Climo midrange grip video.

If you're stalled out around 300 or less and are frustrated with pushing and pulling discs, try what I'm talking about and see if it works for you.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2009, 06:24 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 3
I have nothing to add except to say that folks should read this book if they want to throw farther. Great info, imho.

Stand tall. Throw far.

Oh, congrats on your skill development. You were open minded enough to try new stuff.
Old habits die hard, particularly muscle memory habits.

Last edited by innova; 05-22-2009 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:28 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 816
Throwing Style: RHBH
I am definitely going to have to try this. I went and looked at some pictures of myself driving, and I definitely have that same tendency to slump a little. I'm excited to try this out and see what happens!
Old 05-22-2009, 08:36 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 55
I think i may be slumping a little also...i'm going to work with a pro today to try and improve my form...i have found recently that i was not using a really tight grip, and just gripping more firmly added 30-40 feet to my drives, but they are still erratic...
Old 05-22-2009, 09:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 147
Nice.

It is hard for me to think of things like this. I've been playing for so long and I don't put the thought into what I am doing like a lot of newer players do.

What you describe is one of the many things that go into proper technique.

It also says something for standing "tall" and owning that box. Stand on the tee and master that fairway like a god looking down from Mount Olympus.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Bogey Member

Good book. It made me look at my form, and guess what? It turned out I was mimicking the hunchback of notre dame ( a slightly dramatic interpretation ).

The points I noticed right away that it helped me with:

1. Hitting Higher lines but with nose still down, more glide as a result. Long hyzers and anys( when I turned my wrist.
2. I can reach back further and pull the disc closer to my chest, which gave me more speed!

Thanks for helping me get past that 300' mark, woo! Anywhere from 40 - 60' more D!
Old 05-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 104
Thanks for the post milow369. It was a great read.

I generally have bad posture & tend to slouch as well. Now that I really think about it, it makes perfect sense why there are some days when I can throw 400+ and some days where I max out @ 340-350, depending on how I "hold" myself while on the tee. I know some of it has to do w/ nagging injuries and not allowing myself proper time to heal....but practicing better posture (better form) might help alleviate some of my pain.

My next time out, I will definately try to stand taller and see what happens.

Thanks again for sharing
Old 05-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 50
Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo
Old 05-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 10
I was wondering if being taller would extend range.
Makes sense from a physics standpoint, a higher launch point on the same angle of release leaves more time to drop to the ground, right?
I realize its not a huge difference. any thoughts?
Maybe the arm length is a factor as well...
just my two cents...

Old 05-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumner420 View Post
I was wondering if being taller would extend range.
Makes sense from a physics standpoint, a higher launch point on the same angle of release leaves more time to drop to the ground, right?
I realize its not a huge difference. any thoughts?
Maybe the arm length is a factor as well...
just my two cents...
Yes, I do think that your height can have an influence over your D.... not to say that shorter people can't bomb (which I've seen on many occasions)

From my observation, most of the big throwers have longer arms.... I think it can make a huge difference if you use proper technique (in combination w/ the monkey arms)