Old 05-22-2009, 02:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 106
Long limbs and height definitely have an advantage as with most sports. I need to tape myself to see if Im doin the hunchback thing which I think I am. Definitely going to try some of these things.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHBH
the pro really helped me out...turns out one of the things he said is important is not slouching over...

he said my form wasn't too bad, but said i was only reaching back maybe halfway, not using my core and trying to use my arm to power through...after about 10 minutes of instruction, i almost immediately was throwing out 350+ consistently, some breaking 400...i'm really psyched now...need to go out and practice...
Old 05-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 24
Well, glad to see that this post has been well received. I had this light bulb turn on over my head and I felt compelled to talk about it - in excruciating detail

couple follow ups in no particular order.

1) I think you can actually get a feel of what I am talking about in your living room or out on the front lawn right now. Get a disc and come to your normal relaxed stance (as if you were going to drive down a 400' fairway). Do a mock version of your run-up/approach.

Now, stand up straight, use that analogy of being at the dr's office, trying to gain 1-2" because you don't want to be considered a fat ass on the BMI (ha ha). This is now your height reference point. Maintain this posture through your run up, throw and followthrough. Do the same routine as above.

You will notice that you are now sort of ballroom dancing (light) on the balls of your feet, moving comfortably and fluidly as opposed to stomping. If you have to, watch the Beato video and burn that form in your head - Ideally, you have already watched it and have worked through his drills a couple of times. When you take the disc back to the cocked position you should feel a new level of control and stability in your right arm. You can now keep the disc flat and move it smoothly. You should also feel another level of flex/power through your right arm (assuming RHBH) tricep/bicep/and shoulder - you may even feel it in your glutes, right leg down to the ball of your right foot. You will notice that your grip has become more solid because you are using more muscles to build up the pressure on the the rim of the disc (grip). Your entire right side should feel like a coiled spring. (Yes, it is exciting)

2) Old habits do die hard! I know this from being a ball golfer for over 20 years and I am sort of kicking myself in the butt for not figuring this out about my disc game sooner - but better late than never. It's very easy relapse into what feels comfortable. It is difficult to start on a new technique and stick to it. You may degrade for a short period but you will come back even stronger if you stick with it. You will find that in the middle of some round or some practice session, you will just snap into it and the choir from the heavens will sing. I can say that I have been unknowingly doing this new approach - sort of half way for a few months - it was wreaking havoc on my scores. Now I have added this thought to my pre-shot routine so I start off on the right foot every time - whether or not I stick through it correctly through my throw is another story but it certainly sets me up for success. I have noticed a huge jump in both my distance/drive and accuracy/drive.

3) Feel your confidence level increase as you stand up tall and powerful at the back of the box. It's a-freakin-mazing.

4) I definitely think that if you have the gift of height, moreso, lankiness, you will be a foot up when developing your drive- it's a matter of leverage and starting height of the disc I believe. This approach helps people like myself - avg height, to squeeze every drop of power possible when driving. One significant difference that I'm not sure if I focused on in the original "book" is that when you are upright and you have the disc back, you are able to throw flat to hit your line with the nose of the disc not up (flat or slightly down) - so the weight of the disc (albeit a pretty light amount) is neutral - you're not have to lift the weight of the disc in addition to throwing it down range. If you can do a slight downward pull to horizontal, you are now using the weight of the disc and gravity to build momentum. Before, I was coming from a lower position up (fighting gravity) to horizontal where I would snap the disc downrange. This seems like a small amount of weight but everything matters when trying to squeeze an additional 30-50' out of your drive.

I would say the thing I am happiest with is my increased sense of control over my body/throw. I think the distance will just come naturally.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 55
one other thing the pro stressed is SLOW DOWN...so hard for a beginner to get the rhythm and timing down when you try to run up too fast...i learned that today...
Old 05-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 98
Excellent post milow369 and exactly what I was looking for. I am 6'6 but when I drive I slouch down to about 6'1. I think I am going to go out to a field as soon as I can and give your technique a try. I hope it works because I was feeling helpless there for a bit.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Even more stuff to cloud my mind! I personally got a boost from bending my wrist towards me (RHBH) and stiffening it up. I heard it put "Use your wrist as a spring, not a hinge" Seems to work for me, more spin.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 16
I keep forgetting to try this, but this thread inspired me just now to go try it in my driveway in the rainy twilight. Even without a release, the difference in feel nearly blew my Crocs off. It seems there is powerful medicine in what you say. I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow afternoon.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:10 PM

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 15
I tried this today, my distance sucked all day though, but I could definitely feel a significant difference. It kept me on my toes and made it easier to shift my weight.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 24
Don't get me wrong, it's not going to happen overnight. I went out there and has a fairly crappy day today. My timing wasn't great and I missed many of the lines that I've hit successfully before - that being said, I was playing in a mini today so I had the "tourney pressure" component going on - a whole 'nother thread for this forum.

I did have some glimpses of brilliance which keeps me motivated. I did make an effort to check & set my posture on every box.

It's going to take a couple field sessions, lots of rounds, but all in all, I feel much more controlled and powerful when I keep at a hight somewhere above totally relaxed.

I would check out the Beato video again on you tube. Out again tomorrow

Later

Old 05-25-2009, 01:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 16
I tried this today on my lunch break with my mids and slow drivers. It wasn't instantaneous superpower, but I started to hear that "snapping" sound on my release for the first time in my life, and all of my throws were showing more glide. With one of my best throws today, I threw my Buzzz farther than I ever have -- I actually got a long, gentle S-curve out of it. It probably went somewhere around 350' by the time it got across the 10' drop at the other end of the field, and it was helped by a tailwind. Those factors make the 350feet unrealistic in neutral conditions, but I've never thrown it anywhere close to that far before on the very same field.

It still feels a little awkward, and I didn't try this with my high speed drivers, but I'm expecting a difference with them as well. Now if only I could find a way to improve my accuracy...