Old 05-23-2009, 11:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy
Yeah just for giggles last week I teed off on 18 at Lenora with my SSS Wizard. It is just under 300' uphill (which psyches you out) and I could get 150-170' out of it...if I had better accuracy I probably could've birdied but still par'd with just a putter. I would probably throw the rock-it now.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: LHBH
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoffro
I agree with throwing putters further than conventionally thought. I would only add that in windy conditions, your putter become more inconsistent when compared to mid-ranges. I will throw my putter on a calm day 100'. Looking at that same shot with significant wind, I will throw a Shark or Skeeter, because it will loft less and sink harder. In very high wind, I might throw a fairway driver skidding in to the base of the basket. I know I'm not going to birdie with this shot, but I know that anyway in high wind, right? There's a lot to be said for laying up in this sport when considering overall scores.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 3
Good point about the wind.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy
Yeah definitely. We were throwing around the house today and the road is a good ten feet higher than the house (our first floor is considered a basement) and we had the basket between our house and the neighbors. The wind had started to pick up and we were throwing from the top of the driveway and it was just grabbing them and pushing them wide.

No matter how heavy the putter is (most of mine are in the 170s) they just sail away.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
Yeah definitely. We were throwing around the house today and the road is a good ten feet higher than the house (our first floor is considered a basement) and we had the basket between our house and the neighbors. The wind had started to pick up and we were throwing from the top of the driveway and it was just grabbing them and pushing them wide.

No matter how heavy the putter is (most of mine are in the 170s) they just sail away.
Good point. I saw a guy throw a 175 Aviar into the wind, and it just took off in the wrong direction
Old 05-24-2009, 01:07 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 33
You've got to have a pretty stable putter to actually drive with it. Most putters are designed to fly flat at low speeds, and few people drive at slow speeds. Now I drive up to 175' with my putter (a KC Pro Aviar) but when I was throwing birdies there was no way I'd try it. Turnover city. Sure, some people can throw a birdie 175, but I coudn't. And if there was a hint of wind, forget about it. I was much more accurate at 150-200 with a midrange than with that putter.

If you lack confidence to throw a putter off the tee on a hole that is in range with your putter (or if you don't know what your range is) play a couple rounds with just your putter. Gave me immense confidence in it compared to before. I was surprised I only shot 4 or 5 strokes worse than I usually do with my whole bag.

While I'll drive with that KC Pro Aviar from 100-175+, and I'll putt with it or a regular aviar P&A from 40 feet in, I actually prefer throwing my approach shots (40+-100) with the R-Pro Dart. I was never convinced that it's sticky rubber actually grabs the chains, but I am convinced that it slides less on bare dirt and gets up and rolls less. Its high glide allows you to throw it with much less effort than either the aviars or the midranges at that distance and its straight flight means a poorly thrown disc is usually still close enough to give you a good chance at hitting the next putt. The slower you can move your arm, the less you can screw up IMHO.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
i have been working on getting distance with my putter the last 4-5 weeks and my game has been getting better and better ever since. i didnt choose to start learning the putter, i actually lost my first disc EVER that i havent gotten back, my roc and thats all i had if i didnt wanna use a midrange or a distance driver...but now that it made me learn my putter better im not so depressed when i think about my poor lost roc.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:20 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 31
Honestly...I can't really remember the last time I pulled out a midrange. I've been ripping the rhyno or the aviar for most of my approach shots.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:22 AM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
This may be in questionable taste, but this is what a tell players. It's the old bull-new bull theory.

Does anybody remember the movie Colors? In that movie the Robert Duvall character tells his young partner a story. "There's two bulls standing on top of a mountain. The younger one says to the older one: 'Hey pop, let's say we run down there and (censored) one of them cows.' The older one says: 'No son. Lets walk down and (censored) 'em all.'"

Your drivers are your young bulls. They are fast, and they do basically one thing well. Your midranges and putters are your old bulls. They are slow and deliberate and do a lot of things very well.

If you want to "(censored) 'em all" i.e. beat everyone you play against, you had better be depending on your old bulls.
I (censored) a cow once.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:23 AM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
I (censored) a cow once.
Oh wait...what did you mean by that?