Old 12-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 45
Temp or age impacting my shaving cream dye?

It's been a while, but am doing a few dyes. I have several dyes (iDye and RIT) that I have been storing in 2-liters in the garage. The dye is 6-9 months old. I've noticed it doesn't have the same potency as the past. For example the black iDye poly left on both proton and star plastic for 36-48 hours is coming out gray.

I shook the bottles pretty well. I painted the discs and let them sit inside (garage may have gotten down to 40 overnight). When I mixed the shaving cream and dye, it was done at "garage" temps. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?
Old 12-03-2012, 04:58 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Probably more temp than age. While I haven't used idye I have several bottles of rit that I have been useing since I started dying 3 years ago.They all still work fine.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 9
Temp is definitely an issue. if it sent out in the garage at 40 degrees that's like dying in your refrigerator, and your results will be lackluster. I have had RIT DYE go bad. lime green turned puke yellow, brown turn purplish, and my orange got really splotchy
Old 12-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHBH
i have some iDye blue that i mixed straight with some shaving cream in a little square disposable plastic container. after using a bit to paint, i left the rest out and forgot about it until a day or so later. what was left was a dried up 'brick' of hardened dye/shaving cream. it felt exactly like the water color paints in the plastic trays you'd have as a kid. for kicks i put a few drops of water in it, mixed it a bit with a paint brush and it came right back to life. it seemed to be no worse for the wear as far as potency goes. i think i've stumbled on a great way to store it! i don't have much in the way of long term storage though, as i haven't tested it past a couple days.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmanbailye View Post
Temp is definitely an issue. if it sent out in the garage at 40 degrees that's like dying in your refrigerator, and your results will be lackluster. I have had RIT DYE go bad. lime green turned puke yellow, brown turn purplish, and my orange got really splotchy
Thanks - could you tell the dye went bad in the storage containers, or did you have to wait until you applied the dye?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Birdie Member

Thanks all, will try to bring up to room temp....
Old 12-04-2012, 01:14 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 9
Unfortunately it was a surprise. Even when I poured them down the drain they looked completely normal.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:27 AM
Noodle Arm

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 64
Could it be from storing the dye in a plastic bottle versus a glass jar?
Old 12-04-2012, 03:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbowski View Post
Could it be from storing the dye in a plastic bottle versus a glass jar?
This is possible, I dyed with my black dye after leaving it in a quart container that was plastic. It came out smokey looking. Yes it looks cool, and I like it, but I was expecting just black.

Also, could this be effected by the color intensifier packet?
idye poly.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 39
After enough uses all of 'em will go bad. I'm on my second batch of iDye black and Rit scarlet and third batch of Rit black (I have dyed a lot of discs ). They'll take longer and longer to get the color intensity you want until they eventually need replacing. I do store in plastic but I don't think it's an issue, they rinse out pretty clean so I don't think the plastic is sucking any dye outta the mix.

But for the OP, I also suspect temp was your biggest issue. Do your dyework wherever you want but then put that disc in a closed container and move it to someplace nice and warm.

Last edited by Dan Howard; 12-04-2012 at 07:17 AM.