Old 05-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Getting back into it, slowly, a few questions

I started playing in the fall of 99, was very avid for a few years, then fell out of it in 07 for different reasons. Anyway, I've gone out a few times recently, and noticed I'm starting to develop the same flaws that I had before. I can drive a putter to about 220-240 consistently, and drivers 270-300. Which is about the same distance I was getting when I stopped playing. I was so set in my ways before that I couldn't change.
Now that I've taken a few years off, and before I start to fall back into the same rut. I only throw RHBH and have the issue of turning a lot of things over. When I first started I made the mistake of picking out everything too fast and stable to mask the flaws, and in turn that made them worse. Now I want to correct them, before they get too bad.
I've heard of discing down, and think that may be the way to go, but not entirely familiar with the concept. Is it meaning that I should just go out with a putter, or??
I can get a list of the discs I own later to give a better recommendation on what I should be throwing.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Go here:
http://discgolfreview.com/forums/vie...1484a88f392c7a

Read the technique threads stickied at the top and you will be good to go. Discing down basically means throwing slower discs until you can shape lines/throw far. It has is pros and cons like anything. There are a few threads debating these on the forums here.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 27
I am not rated 900 or better, but I will offer you some advice from my perspective. I started out with the heavy, overstable stuff too and it caused me some problems with wrist roll. I threw lots of Roc, Lid-Types (Mako/Comet), and Putter rounds only and it has definitely helped me cure the problem. I rarely regress to my bad habits. I do recommend field practice with your drivers though, coupled with the putter/mid practice, otherwise, you will throw a lot of nose up shots when you transition back to a bag with drivers.

I am forcing myself to drive with a Wizard right now and I absolutely love it in the woods. I'm hoping it cures me of my tree phobia.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
play a few rounds with only a REALY understable putter, a comet ( not Z plastic, that is allready too stable, go for X plastic instead ) and a Pro-d Leopard. It will help you for sure.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 34
So for slower discs, I have a d challenger and a gateway wizard for putters, both around 174. mids: z wasp, esp ace race discs (06 and 08) all around 174, esp buzz at 177(I've never thrown buzzes consistantly), a champ shark that is too abused to tell the weight, or even the stamp anymore. My slower drivers would be an x tracker, z xs, z xpress, all around 174, old (before pro-d) x2 not sure weight. The least stable driver I have is a sidewinder, I think it's star. I only use that for rollers.
Given that list, should I spend time focusing on technique just with the putters, or the mids too?
I also have really overstable or fast stuff, gateway demon, spirit, discraft drone, crush, predator, flick, surge, flash, avenger, dga riptide, tsunami. I think that's all. I knew they wouldn't be right, so I didn't look closely at them.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 199
Pick a putter and throw that and the Buzzz. Then get a fairway or control driver to handle your nose angle issues. Read the Discing down threads on here and DGR. You will improve quickly. I started throwing mostly putters and mids again my last 2 rounds and by the second round I noticed improvement. I was throwing my putters farther and straighter that quickly. Not huge gains, but noticeable. Be patient grasshopper!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 108
It never hurts to post this.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreemCheese View Post
So for slower discs, I have a d challenger and a gateway wizard for putters, both around 174. mids: z wasp, esp ace race discs (06 (Meteor) and 08) all around 174, esp buzz at 177(I've never thrown buzzes consistantly), a champ shark that is too abused to tell the weight, or even the stamp anymore. My slower drivers would be an x tracker, z xs, z xpress, all around 174, old (before pro-d) x2 not sure weight. The least stable driver I have is a sidewinder, I think it's star. I only use that for rollers.
Given that list, should I spend time focusing on technique just with the putters, or the mids too?
I also have really overstable or fast stuff, gateway demon, spirit, discraft drone, crush, predator, flick, surge, flash, avenger, dga riptide, tsunami. I think that's all. I knew they wouldn't be right, so I didn't look closely at them.
I put in bold the discs that are the best for ironing out form, i.e. most picky. A line-up of Challenger/Wizard, Buzzz, Meteor, Tracker and XPress would be a nice set up to fast track yourself towards better form. Discing down is basically throwing the slowest disc possible that you can b/c discs in your speed range are the most controllable. So if you're barely cracking 300', for the most part anything speed 7 and down will give you better results than faster stuff. Slow drivers are always nice to keep in the bag b/c putters and mids are too forgiving of nose angle (up) problems.

I went through the same process as you did starting out so definitely take heed that going down the road of strongarming discs is a perilous one, the idea is nice and smooth with whip-like action.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
1. STOP BLINDLY POSTING THE BETO VIDEO - I can't rant about it in every thread so see my other one...

2. Playing with only understable discs is not discing down. It will teach you one way of throwing, but not comprehensive technique. It's helpful, but not going to fix his problem.

To the OP - some tailored advice:

Field practice with mids and putters of neutral stability. It sounds like you already have your form at least partially set and you're asking about flipping discs that shouldn't necessarily be flipped. Neutral discs like a Mako, Buzzz, XD, Core, Element, etc. that are made to go dead straight can help you.

Go out and work on your release - I'd suggest taking the run-up/approach out of it at first - and work on getting them on frozen-rope lines. Work 175', 200', 225', etc. worth of power on the shot (convert to % for you personally). When you can start smoothing those discs out to 275-300' dead straight you'll know you've made improvements in your release to not unintentionally flip discs over. The typical culprit is wrist roll and/or Off Axis Torque. Praticing your release to focus your release point (the hit) in one direction will get you that cleaner form

Old 05-18-2011, 09:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
1. STOP BLINDLY POSTING THE BETO VIDEO - I can't rant about it in every thread so see my other one...
It's a 6.5 minute video that shows you how to fix everything about your throw except for the hit, which is where the hammer pound drills come in. It deserves to be mentioned in nearly every single technique thread that isn't asking about something specific. It isn't just one way to throw, it's a way to build your throw so that you do all of the important stuff in the easiest way possible for you.