#11  
Old 05-19-2011, 03:43 PM
JTacoma03's Avatar
JTacoma03 JTacoma03 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, LA and SF, CA
Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 2,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
It isn't just one way to throw, it's a way to build your throw so that you do all of the important stuff in the easiest way possible for you.
Swing and a miss - sorry bud. I'm living proof that it's far from the "easiest". Practicing to his video did not help me - and don't give me the line about "you're doing it wrong" because that's a cop out.

I got way more from watching videos of Climo throw, and from Feldberg/Climo's instructional DVD than from Beto. I'm not trying to rag on the guy I'm sure he's a good (maybe even great) player, but you're wrong, it is only one way to build a throw and do drills and it's not comprehensive.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-19-2011, 03:57 PM
JoshEpoo JoshEpoo is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Forest Lake, MN
Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
Swing and a miss - sorry bud. I'm living proof that it's far from the "easiest". Practicing to his video did not help me - and don't give me the line about "you're doing it wrong" because that's a cop out.

I got way more from watching videos of Climo throw, and from Feldberg/Climo's instructional DVD than from Beto. I'm not trying to rag on the guy I'm sure he's a good (maybe even great) player, but you're wrong, it is only one way to build a throw and do drills and it's not comprehensive.
Working from the hit back is an approach to building your throw.

The fact that you can't teach people how to throw a disc farther than 400' in less than 7 minutes doesn't mean you can't teach them the approach that will guide them through the learning process.

Of course watching decades of footage of Climo and Feldberg throw, and an instructional DVD produced and SOLD by two of the most successful disc golfers ever will teach you things that a 5 minute YouTube video can't. But you then go back and incorporate the things you learn from those guys within the framework of working from the hit back.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-19-2011, 04:37 PM
garublador garublador is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Urbandale, IA
Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 7
Posts: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
Swing and a miss - sorry bud. I'm living proof that it's far from the "easiest". Practicing to his video did not help me - and don't give me the line about "you're doing it wrong" because that's a cop out.
How is it any more of a cop out then you claiming that you just claiming it doesn't work? According to your logic all I have to do is find one person that doesn't find your advice helpful to make it totally invalid. The thing with it is that it will always work if done correctly. If it didn't work then you didn't do it correctly. Now if you find building your throw like that tedious and boring (which it is) and choose not to do it then that's OK, but that's not the same as the method not working.

If you haven't thought about building your throw that way it's worth doing. That's why people post the video. Just because you didn't like building your throw that way doesn't make the advice invalid.

Remember, it's not a video that shows you how to throw. It's a video that shows you how to make sure each movement is adding to your throw rather than taking away from it. Lots of people do things that take away from their throw.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-19-2011, 04:45 PM
bikinjack's Avatar
bikinjack bikinjack is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,360
Thank you Garublador.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-19-2011, 05:02 PM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 79
Posts: 5,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
According to your logic all I have to do is find one person that doesn't find your advice helpful to make it totally invalid. Just because you didn't like building your throw that way doesn't make the advice invalid.
Hurm...logic arguments with JTacoma...it's scientifically untrue!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-23-2011, 12:12 AM
JTacoma03's Avatar
JTacoma03 JTacoma03 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, LA and SF, CA
Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 2,822
When did I say his video is invalid? I just simply critiqued it and stated that people fail to use their comprehension skills and just post it.

Honestly, do you REALLY think it is the one-and-only-perfect-cure-all for every form flaw? I think the guy makes good points and (don't get me wrong, please) I'm all in favor of people taking time to teach the game and create a larger community of disc golfers. However, that doesn't make him immune to critique and it definitely doesn't mean we should blindly follow while failing to utilize basic reading comprehension of critical thinking skills while responding to forum topics.

Please don't go the way of some and just attack me because I offer a counterpoint which may not gel with the majority. I embrace a variety of viewpoints and vehemently reject groupthink mentality, which I fear DGCR is gravitating more and more towards the longer I'm on here.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-23-2011, 02:13 AM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 79
Posts: 5,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
I embrace a variety of viewpoints and vehemently reject groupthink mentality, which I fear DGCR is gravitating more and more towards the longer I'm on here.
You don't seem to be comprehending or embracing much else other than your own view and attacking others with a different view or even similar view.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03
1. STOP BLINDLY POSTING THE BETO VIDEO - I can't rant about it in every thread so see my other one...

Let me fix some bad advice on here real quick:

Don't call me out on anything, ever.
You stay classy!


Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03
Go out and work on your release - I'd suggest taking the run-up/approach out of it at first - and work on getting them on frozen-rope lines.
You do realize this ^ is what Beto's vid and working from the hit back is about.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-23-2011, 06:01 PM
JTacoma03's Avatar
JTacoma03 JTacoma03 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, LA and SF, CA
Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 2,822
bud - I'm getting tired of this and I really don't care to be reposting the same thing over and over. I feel sorry that I have to break this down for you so this will be the last time.

- the operative word in "1." was blindly, i.e. without reading the OP. People post the video as a roundabout, lazy, and post-whoring answer instead of taking the time to answer the question posed or even explain why (or why not) the video posted is good for them. For example they could say "pay attention to :30-:45 because I think he answers your question well".

- I never said Beto was wrong. You continually try to drag my name through the mud and attack a stance that I never took. I just said there are things that he fails to account for. Again, just like my last post - I am simply critiquing a line of thinking. You are attacking me for freely thinking for myself instead of accepting and going with the flow? Good grief man, get a hobby, hell actually go out and play disc golf once in a while. I literally said in my last post (which i assume you just don't read except for 3-4 words to quote and take out of context) he makes good points.

Ever wonder why you're the only person who constantly starts crap with me? Others may disagree, sure, but we state our opinions and let the chips fall where they may. Your crusade of trollitude is over because I no longer care to participate. It's my fault for letting it go this long by continually responding, so I'm done with it. You want to continually attack me to win people to your corner, fine, I don't care. I'll state my opinions and everyone who reads them is free to disagree or agree as they see fit.

Sidewinder, if you've got anything else to say, come find me on the course and let your game talk. Otherwise, have a nice life.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-23-2011, 06:59 PM
drickanderson's Avatar
drickanderson drickanderson is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,853
Send a message via MSN to drickanderson
^^ somebody needs some midol ..


just sayin ...
Reply With Quote
 
  

  #20  
Old 05-23-2011, 07:46 PM
deBebbler's Avatar
deBebbler deBebbler is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Petoskey, MI
Years Playing: 18.9
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
It's a 6.5 minute video that shows you how to fix everything about your throw except for the hit...
And it gave me an idea of a way to repair my throw that is now recently way out of whack.

Thanks bikinijack, for posting it "randomly" in this thread.

[JT's head explodes]
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.