Old 05-27-2009, 02:15 PM

Courses Played: 2
Talking New To The Game Need Some Tips

I'm new to this game. I went and played for the first time this past weekend. I loved it and had tons of fun and I can't wait till i get to go play again. However I am having problems with throwing the disk straight. It tends to start straight and turn left. Does anyone have any pointers that you could give me?
Old 05-27-2009, 02:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy
They do that. It is called fade. Some discs do it more than others. The key is to find one you like that is predictable and adjust for that in your throw so you end up straight after all is said and done.

I am sure others will chime in with more detail. Welcome to the sport and enjoy.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:27 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 813
Throwing Style: RHBH
You'll probably get more helpful responses if you post the kinds of discs you throw, whether you throw backhand or sidearm, and how far you are throwing right now. I'll second BillnChristy's welcome, always great to have a new player who wants to learn!
Old 05-27-2009, 02:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 25
I'm pretty new too. But I got into it in a big way. My advice is try a few different discs in different weights and plastics and just keep throwing. Practice and practice. You'll find some discs will work better for you than others. A nephew who plays pretty damn good gave me the best advice so far. "If you aren't throwing as far as you'd like, go with lighter discs." That helped a lot until I developed my throwing technique.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:36 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 31
Welcome! There are a lot of tips on this thread.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ead.php?t=3486
Old 05-27-2009, 02:42 PM

Courses Played: 2
My fairway driver is a innova leopard and i throw it backhand, and i don't really know how far i throw it cause i have yet to get a decent throw LOL. What is a good disk the will go to the right cause the only course that i know of around my house has areas that is very hard to get around with my disk fading to the left.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:45 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson028 View Post
My fairway driver is a innova leopard and i throw it backhand, and i don't really know how far i throw it cause i have yet to get a decent throw LOL. What is a good disk the will go to the right cause the only course that i know of around my house has areas that is very hard to get around with my disk fading to the left.
You'll eventually get the leopard to turn right backhand but you may want to try to learn a forehand. Forehand/sidearm tends to give a more predictable turn than forcing a backhand to the right.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 81
Keep this Flight Chart in the crapper and study while you're defecating. It will help.

Newer players should stick with slower discs with a -HSS rating until they develop good enough form that those discs start turning right.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 64
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy
My wife throws a Leopard as well but can still get the Kite farther. If the kite is a little too weird for you a stingray or skeeter might be a good one. If you have a place that sells discs nearby it is a good idea to go and get a feel for them, they do not all feel the same in your hand.

My wife held every Leopard known to man before she decided she liked the Star leopard.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 42
I would definitely say to find someone who is experienced on the course and ask them about it. it's going to be hard to tell you exactly what you need without seeing you throw. A Leopard would surely not be a bad disc to go buy though. Neither would a Stingray. Or a Stratus. They all are easy to throw and don't fall to the left as far as most discs do (but like billnchristy said, all discs tend to fall to the left at the end).