Old 05-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 120
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
They do get thrown around interchangeably, and the differences are pretty nuanced. If I have it right, push putting relies more on finger spring to propel the disc while pitch putting relies more on swinging your arm up (kind of like in a straddle stance) and letting the end of the swing where your elbow goes straight propel or pitch the disc out. Both rely on weight transfer obviously.

I could be completely wrong about all this. The various putting styles are some murky waters to wade through semantically and that's why I made this thread, to help make sense of it all.
Right on, thanks for breaking it down a little. I remember Dave saying to add force to the disc just before release by thrusting your putting shoulder forward a few inches. I've never heard Kenny say anything like that.
I believe that they both need to use finger spring.

I putt with Kenny's style or maybe Dave's, or at least something very similar. I notice on most of my bad misses, that I forgot to finger spring. This usually happens on putts that have roll away potential. I am trying so hard to get the disc on target that I don't give that final finger explosion.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 66
I think pitch putting just refers to a strategy where you aim for an apex and let the disc descend into the chains and drop in the basket. You very rarely get splash outs with this method, and can actually drop putts right in the basket if you miss weak side.

Push putting refers to how power is generated. Finger spring, weight shift/shoulder push, and keeping a relatively straight arm/stiff elbow are key elements. Typically push putters are also pitch putters, but you could probably also be a spin putter and pitch putter. It's just rare because spin putters often throw harder and rely on the chains to stop and drop their disc.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshEpoo View Post
I think pitch putting just refers to a strategy where you aim for an apex and let the disc descend into the chains and drop in the basket. You very rarely get splash outs with this method, and can actually drop putts right in the basket if you miss weak side.

Push putting refers to how power is generated. Finger spring, weight shift/shoulder push, and keeping a relatively straight arm/stiff elbow are key elements. Typically push putters are also pitch putters, but you could probably also be a spin putter and pitch putter. It's just rare because spin putters often throw harder and rely on the chains to stop and drop their disc.
Thanks Josh, that makes a lot of sense. Not only do you know technique, but you know how to explain it. By your definitions, I push putt on all my putts, but only pitch putt when I am too far out to go straight at chains (~25'). Pitch putting is also conducive to DROTs. I have at least 5 per summer and not just on baskets with number plates.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 10
Thanks for posting these! It is really helping my understand the different styles!
Old 05-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Birdie Member

Lets get a clip on here of the Nate Doss "Pelican Putt" style. generally a left to right drift-in style when he's in a comfortable range.

However, the usefulness of this thread is seeing the styles, and then maybe applying "mental emulation" when on the course. Have to straddle to outsmart an obstacle? Envision that you're not the one putting, Markus Kallstrom or Barry Shultz is... "Become the teacher". And that way, when you miss, no big deal, maybe Barry was off that day...
Old 05-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 39
This is an informative thread, now i realize i use a sort of pitch putt, but i'm trying to do a bit more of a push put.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 136
Send a message via AIM to New013
Does anybody use an anhyzer throw for longer putts? I've started throwing my Pig on an anhyzer line when I'm around 50-80 feet. I developed it because I found it hard to accurately throw my Pig that far with my normal throw... I kept fading it left of the basket because it's hard to judge how much the disc will fade from longer distances.

With the anyhyzer line I can throw the Pig right at the basket and it curves right in... my only problem that I've encountered is coming up short, but I'll take short and long over left and right any day.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
Does anybody use an anhyzer throw for longer putts? I've started throwing my Pig on an anhyzer line when I'm around 50-80 feet. I developed it because I found it hard to accurately throw my Pig that far with my normal throw... I kept fading it left of the basket because it's hard to judge how much the disc will fade from longer distances.

With the anyhyzer line I can throw the Pig right at the basket and it curves right in... my only problem that I've encountered is coming up short, but I'll take short and long over left and right any day.
Super solid idea!
Old 05-26-2011, 06:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
There are quite a few pros who put just a little bit of anhyzer, I mean a tiny amount, for longer putts, particularly low ceiling putts. Putting with a Pig from outside the circle sounds like a good way to miss though...

Old 05-26-2011, 01:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 136
Send a message via AIM to New013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshEpoo View Post
There are quite a few pros who put just a little bit of anhyzer, I mean a tiny amount, for longer putts, particularly low ceiling putts. Putting with a Pig from outside the circle sounds like a good way to miss though...
Yea.. it was until I started doing the anhyzer thing. Before that I was making those range putts with my Mako but I found that I became inconsistent with the Mako.

I've tried using my challenger in that range but I just can't lock on with it.