Old 05-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
From what I've seen, it's what they are doing with their NON throwing arm that is different and it looks like it would generate more tourque.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 65
Watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhQzVIX4cVs

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

The first pair you can see the difference, feldberg being more lever style.

Then at 1:05 you can see linus vs avery and then linus vs doss. Both Doss and Avery are very American style throwers, where linus is probably the most prominent of the swedes.

On the last one you can really tell the release and pull differences between doss and jesper
Old 05-25-2011, 12:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 20
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Look at this vid too
Old 05-25-2011, 12:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CwAlbino View Post
Watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhQzVIX4cVs

The first pair you can see the difference, feldberg being more lever style.

Then at 1:05 you can see linus vs avery and then linus vs doss. Both Doss and Avery are very American style throwers, where linus is probably the most prominent of the swedes.

On the last one you can really tell the release and pull differences between doss and jesper

When marcus throws, hes almost doing a reverse pivot
Old 05-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 7
The Swedish seems to rely a little less on arm strength to achieve power and more on the whipping motion, while the American seems to rely a little more on arm strength. Am I correct? I realize that both rely primarily on the whipping motion and getting the hips around. It just seems that the Swedish style is better for those of us with noodle arms and American may be better for those with some power strength.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_throw_bricks View Post
The Swedish seems to rely a little less on arm strength to achieve power and more on the whipping motion, while the American seems to rely a little more on arm strength. Am I correct? I realize that both rely primarily on the whipping motion and getting the hips around. It just seems that the Swedish style is better for those of us with noodle arms and American may be better for those with some power strength.
I think it works better for tall lanky people because of the arm length (like myself). Both techniques are about arm speed, not strength.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Jussi and Joonas from this video...Here
Both use the swedish style of throwing. As you can see instead of a straight reach back they it's more of a twisting in order to get there body in the right position to really leverage the disc. At least that's what I'm seeing.

Btw Jussi is the the first thrower, and you can see a good comparison of Swedish style vs American when you compare him to the second thrower Juho.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CwAlbino View Post
I think it works better for tall lanky people because of the arm length (like myself). Both techniques are about arm speed, not strength.
It's always about arm speed. I guess my point is that American style uses arm strength to achieve arm speed. I watch the Beto vids closely, he adds additional accelaration at the end of the pull using his arm strength. His form is stiffer in comparison to the Swedish style in which the players appear to be letting their limbs go more limp and rely more heavily on the rotation of their hips and the resulting whip.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 5
The big thing I notice about the Swedish throwers is how several of them pull through very low and swing their off arms over their bodies. Is that the lever part? I'm not sure I understand what the lever thing means.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_throw_bricks View Post
It's always about arm speed. I guess my point is that American style uses arm strength to achieve arm speed. I watch the Beto vids closely, he adds additional accelaration at the end of the pull using his arm strength. His form is stiffer in comparison to the Swedish style in which the players appear to be letting their limbs go more limp and rely more heavily on the rotation of their hips and the resulting whip.
I'm not sure the strength is coming from arm muscles, though. It's more from your back and pectorals than biceps and triceps. Grip strength is very important in both methods.