Disc Golf Store
Old 05-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
Best Way to Explain

I have a buddy that thinks buying high speed disc's, is going to give him more distance.

He doesn't throw the disc as snappy as the rest of the group and feels like he needs a "faster" disc to get the distance. And thinks buying Nuke, or Vulcan is going to help with distance. I know what is going to happen when he gets these disc, he is going to throw them, and they are going to high tail it to the left! It has already happened once before with a Flick.

I have told him if he works on form...that the distance will come, and that he should try to max out the distance from the disc he is already throwing. (He doesn't think a Sidewinder is fast enough!)

Anyways any suggestions?
Old 05-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 57
Have a pro or skilled Am outdrive his sidewinder with a putter. That will open his eyes. I did that today with a couple guys i met and shattered there universe. They both had innova apes in there bag, damn noobs
Old 05-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
Have a pro or skilled Am outdrive his sidewinder with a putter. That will open his eyes. I did that today with a couple guys i met and shattered there universe. They both had innova apes in there bag, damn noobs
I have done that before.

The other thing I don't get is that I don't throw anything higher than 10. And usually I drive with an Ascent or Sidewinder.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
This is the best way, in my opinion. Most people have to witness something for themselves to really understand.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:04 PM
Birdie Member

Myself and one other guy in our group have out driven him before with mids and putters.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgeoguy View Post
Myself and one other guy in our group have out driven him before with mids and putters.
If he is still stubborn about it, he'll probably just have to figure it out for himself. Some people as just like that. Just focus on your game, and he won't be able to ignore your progression vs his over time.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.2
Courses Played: 86
You're right but a Flick is hardly as understable as a Vulcan (not familiar with Nukes). You're correct that if he can't throw his Valk stright and without alot of fade those other discs aren't going to be much help.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 6
buy a blank disc like a valkyrie or a fairway driver and tell him its a new speed 13.5 prototype. then after he played a whole round and throws it well (hopefully) tell him hey dumb*** thats what ive been trying to get you to do from the get go.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzacch05 View Post
buy a blank disc like a valkyrie or a fairway driver and tell him its a new speed 13.5 prototype. then after he played a whole round and throws it well (hopefully) tell him hey dumb*** thats what ive been trying to get you to do from the get go.
Lol, that's not a bad idea.

Personally, I would just make fun of him, telling him that his low speed arm doesn't need that high speed driver. And then I would hope that he never learns to putt.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 15
I have a friend that throws a DX Viking on almost every tee and I have tried to explain to him and have gone as far as really beating his distance with a Leopard and outdriving him with my mids but he still thinks if he finds a faster disc he can control, he will throw further; he just thinks that if I would do the same thing I would be throwing even further as well.

To an extent, there is some truth to that. What really matters though; is how quickly you want to improve and how quickly you want to plateau with the only option to go further is to start over. That latter one is really quite difficult. The question is, does your buddy enjoy the game for what he is and just wants a faster disc to try to go further, or is it desperation and going the wrong route to improve?