Old 05-25-2011, 03:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Almost everything going straight?

I am more curious than anything but it seems like last weekend, when I got a good rip on a driver throwing "Flat" (for me, its more like slightly hyzer) all my discs went straight for the HSS part of their flight; the only difference is how it would finish.

As drivers go; what I had was a 161g Pro Leopard, 162g DX Teebird and a 165 ESP Pred which are all my favorite discs and all well worn in about the same, but I also had an unthrown 162 Pro Leopard and a unthrown 159 DX Teebird and a unthrown 163g ESP FLX Pred; which are generally just back ups but I had put them in to get a little use on them.

All of them when thrown my version of flat would fly straight, just different distances and different fades probably exactly how you would picture each of those fading like normal.

Now; I could put them on hyzer angles and the Leopards would flip, Preds would hook and Teebirds would sweep; and I could put anny on them and the Leo would turn, Teebird would turn but come back a bit and the Pred would flex out hard; again probably how you would expect; it was just the "flat" drives that seemed to just go straight.

Any ideas?
Old 05-25-2011, 03:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: LHBH
seems indicative of a throw dominated by snap and not much speed. That's all I got.

How far are you throwing?
Old 05-25-2011, 03:24 PM
* Ace Member *

My longs were with the Leos around 320' and Teebirds probably close to that, but thats just my longer golf lines. i would probably average myself at 300'. Preds tend to fade out a bit earlier but not by a lot. They appear to fade forward.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 7
Sounds like you are getting more snap on your hyzers and less snap when holding the disc flat or anny.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_throw_bricks View Post
Sounds like you are getting more snap on your hyzers and less snap when holding the disc flat or anny.
That could very well be true, but all things constant (ok, as constant as can be when I'm not that good) wouldn't a Leopard still turn more than a Pred or Teebird even when thrown "flat"?
Old 05-25-2011, 05:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_throw_bricks View Post
if he had less snap (read:spin) throwing flat the leopards would have turned over
Old 05-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triflusal View Post
if he had less snap (read:spin) throwing flat the leopards would have turned over
Snap (i.e. wrist snap) creates speed and spin. If he had all spin and no speed, the hyzers would not flip up. The fact that his hyzers are flipping up indicates that he is getting the speed on his hyzer shots.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
That could very well be true, but all things constant (ok, as constant as can be when I'm not that good) wouldn't a Leopard still turn more than a Pred or Teebird even when thrown "flat"?
High speed turn is only induced when thrown fast enough. If you are not getting enough speed when throwing flat, none of them will turn, and the only difference will be how quickly they fade and how hard they fade, which sounds like your problem. If I am correct, your more stable discs should be going the shortest because they are beginning their fade earlier.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
Now; I could put them on hyzer angles and the Leopards would flip

Any ideas?
By flip do you mean flip up flat? Flip over and continue on a turnover in which it ended left to right? Flipped over into a turnover and finished fading right to left?

If it just flipped up flat, then I see nothing wrong with anything you said. General Lee the leopard is a flip disc, but with enough spin at low velocity, it should go about 300' without turning over after it's reached stable (level/straight).

Teebird - Stable. will hold the line you want
Leopard- Somewhat understable, will flip up flat, enough power will turn it over. Thrown on an anhyzer it will turn and burn
Predator - Overstable (not to be confused with stable). Always wants to go left.

Sounds like how you threw each.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 66
What is probably happening is that you are OATing and rolling your forearm/wrist to achieve what you perceive as the normal behavior of the discs instead of preserving your planes on every shot.

You can achieve a lot of different flights out of a flippy Leo depending on how you roll your forearm over or under during the hit and your follow through. It's a subtle level of control that is difficult to appreciate with discs that are too fast or overstable for you.