Old 05-26-2011, 08:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by CwAlbino View Post
By flip do you mean flip up flat? Flip over and continue on a turnover in which it ended left to right? Flipped over into a turnover and finished fading right to left?

If it just flipped up flat, then I see nothing wrong with anything you said. General Lee the leopard is a flip disc, but with enough spin at low velocity, it should go about 300' without turning over after it's reached stable (level/straight).

Teebird - Stable. will hold the line you want
Leopard- Somewhat understable, will flip up flat, enough power will turn it over. Thrown on an anhyzer it will turn and burn
Predator - Overstable (not to be confused with stable). Always wants to go left.

Sounds like how you threw each.
Yes, I mean for the Leopard, it would flip up to flat thrown with some hyzer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshEpoo View Post
What is probably happening is that you are OATing and rolling your forearm/wrist to achieve what you perceive as the normal behavior of the discs instead of preserving your planes on every shot.

You can achieve a lot of different flights out of a flippy Leo depending on how you roll your forearm over or under during the hit and your follow through. It's a subtle level of control that is difficult to appreciate with discs that are too fast or overstable for you.
I have been concerned with a little wrist roll under here lately myself, but I just figured I would see at least a bit of difference between the discs if I was doing that. Are you saying I might be applying different wrist roll per disc?

It's not that it is bugging me too much because I can put them on hyzer and get them to fly as expected or put a little anny on them like I said and generally work the lines for the most part. I just found it weird.

Another thing to note; when trying to throw faster discs, which I do not do very often at all; I notice that what I think of as "flat" for my throw, I see the disc actually fly out and a pretty sharp hyzer angle and then almost flatten or flatten out for just a second then fade. For some reason I have only seen that with discs like an X Nuke, Pro Wraith or pro Destroyer. They weren't stalling or anything but rather performing more of a similar line to a sweeping hyzer.

I don't know. Maybe its video time again, but that might be a while seeing as I don't like trying to do that while playing a round and the city shut down my practice field due to it being flooded.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
Are you saying I might be applying different wrist roll per disc?
Exactly. Different discs, different release angles, and even certain holes can all cause subtle changes in your throw based on what you're expecting to happen. I know I developed a lot of this stuff into my shots without even realizing it until I did a rigorous break down of my shot. Certain anhyzer holes I would just torque the disc over with some wrist roll instead of applying the angle with my shoulders, others I would throw pure anhyzer. Often I would underpower a disc and hyzer flip it with OAT. Other times I would throw a flippy putter nose up with wrist roll under to get a sweeping hyzer.

These are all awesome tricks to have, but many people don't even realize they're doing them. If you're more focused on the line you hit than the form with which you're throwing, every time you hit that shot with weird form your brain thinks, "Yay, we did it! Let's do that again next time", and you don't even know what it is you did, but it forms a pattern.

This is especially true for people who just play the same few courses over and over. You learn to throw a certain hole a certain way because it works, and then your muscle memory and neural patterns get set and they take over every time you step up to the pad.

I'm not entirely sure this is what's going on with you, but it seems likely, especially if you aren't getting field work in.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Oh man. I just had a head slap moment when you talk about playing the same course a lot. I have not been to many different courses lately save for the one day at the temp course Agapedad is building. And the holes that I throw my best shots and the ones I mess up are always about the same ones. Might be a good time to hit some of the other courses around the area.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 7
I'll be all wishy washy and say that I think it's a combination of what JoshEpoo and CwAlbino said. You're probably throwing cleaner and with more snap than before, but you also might subconsciously be shaping those lines a bit. As far as I'm concerned, subconsciously adding OAT or throwing clean to get a desired line is just as good as consciously adding OAT or throwing clean to get a desired line. As long as you're able to get all those different lines with all of those different discs then you're doing things right.

Now that you're able to do stuff like this you'll probably find that your concept of how discs fly and how to evaluate discs will change. You're already seeing the difference between a workable driver (the Leopard) and a straight driver (the Teebird).
Old 05-26-2011, 09:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Yeah; like I said, it hasn't really been a "problem" at least once I realized how the discs would fly; that took all of 3 or 4 drives. The rest of the time I just played as I saw it working and toward the end of the second round, I began to play around with ways to take advantage of it just a little. It was just different.

If it likely isn't something terribly wrong causing that, I really want to find another field and drill it home so I'm consistent (crosses fingers) with it and then not be afraid to just see how I can manipulate/use it on different lines that I might be apprehensive to attempt on the course.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 33
Ironically, I read this thread, then had the same problem yesterday.

Granted, it was only with putters, but I could not get them to hyzer like they normally would. Even my most stable crazy run Voodoo just flipped up to flat then soared out near 300' when I wanted it to fade/hyzer over like 265'

Old 05-26-2011, 01:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshEpoo View Post
Exactly. Different discs, different release angles,
I've experienced this problem with Flows. The high shoulder and mega dome makes me grip it in an automatic wrist-rollover position. Don't have that issue with Havocs.