Old 05-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 42
Just FYI, keeping your balance isn't a hard and fast rule. You can fall backward 100 feet off a cliff if you want, and as long as you demonstrate balance at some point before you move toward the hole, you are okay. (that's what rule interpreters have told me).
Old 05-26-2011, 01:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 138
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to New013
I putt with hyzer so I aim more right than the picture shows. Aiming to the right of the basket if you throw RHBH will create more success in putting because the disc will naturally roll left due to spin when it hits the chains.

Another tip I find helpful is to make sure your index finger is your only release point. This makes aiming consistently much easier.

If you find that you leave your putts short a lot, you are probably focusing on the front chains on the basket. Try picking out some of the back chains and focusing on them.

Shuffle around. When you get up to your disc shuffle your feet a bit until you are comfortable with the stance the lie is forcing you in.

The biggest tip is confidence. Throw it like you know its going in and it probably will.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstearns5 View Post
A bit of advice that I recieved some time ago may help you, it has helped my immensly. Dont' try to adjust your point of aim, your release point, or your putting motion. Instead, adjust the point in which you start your putting motion. If you find yourself missing left, adjust the starting point of the disc slightly to the left, but maintain the same release and aim point. For instance, if you normally start your swing at your belly-button, adjust by starting the putt just left of that. Does that make sense?
It makes sense to me. I bowled for 20 years and was always told that if I am missing left to move myself left. It was weird but always worked.

As far as a focus point, I try to find something on the pole itself, a paint mark, ding, small moth, something to focus on a point. If I am further than my comfort zone but still want to "go for it", I will move my aim point to the right of the pole and pick anything I can find in that area to account for the fade of the disc.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by swellerdiscgolf View Post
It makes sense to me. I bowled for 20 years and was always told that if I am missing left to move myself left. It was weird but always worked.
Excellent analogy!! Same basic concept.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
I too have tried do the one link aim point but it has not worked well. But aiming at the pole has helped me out tremulously. And depending on how far away I am I just adjust my aim up or down the pole.
Biz
Old 05-26-2011, 01:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 29
interesting

I'll give it a try

I normally stand right foot forward and bring the disc up from just above my right knee

if I understand correctly you guys are suggesting bringing it up from the left of there i.e. perhaps from my left thigh
Old 05-26-2011, 01:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU View Post
interesting

I'll give it a try

I normally stand right foot forward and bring the disc up from just above my right knee

if I understand correctly you guys are suggesting bringing it up from the left of there i.e. perhaps from my left thigh
Basically, yes. Start with very small adjustments, and work from there. You would be surprised the difference a half inch change of the starting point will make. Starting from the left thigh may be a little too much. After a few putts you should be able to dial it in. Let me know how it goes.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:29 PM
International Hair Champion

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 75
I have started aiming at the pole lately,and today was one of my best putting days,my driving today not so much .

But regardless I think I drained 5 or so 30+'s,wish I didn't have to be that far out in the first place,but it was nice to sink pretty much everything for once,it felt good.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:36 PM

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 101
AIM WITH YOUR HIPS. Get them perpendicular to the basket. Your feet can be pointed any way after that. But if your hips are facing the basket and you putt straight away from your body, then missing left or right wont happen so often. Ever notice how many pros straddle putt. Coincidence?

Old 05-26-2011, 01:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB Phil G View Post
AIM WITH YOUR HIPS. Get them perpendicular to the basket. Your feet can be pointed any way after that. But if your hips are facing the basket and you putt straight away from your body, then missing left or right wont happen so often. Ever notice how many pros straddle putt. Coincidence?
Ever notice how many pros don't stradle putt? Coincidence?

I don't think anyone can prove that stradle putting is superior (or inferior, for that matter), expecially when Ken Climo and Dave Feldburg don't use it as their primary style.