Old 05-26-2011, 02:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 36
Bent arm vs. straight reach-back

So, after reading a thread earlier in the week and getting some great feedback on my own style, I learned that I've been using the bent arm reach-back. The past couple days I decided to change it up a bit and try out the straight arm style. My reason for doing so, is the desire to increase my accuracy and consistancy. I could care less for its affect on distance. Here is what I have noticed so far:

1. Bent arm technique allows me to generate more spin on my discs. I'm noticing that my discs have a much stronger fade using a straight arm. My Aviars are fading out like a new KC Roc.

2. When I spray my shots with a straight arm, the miss isn't as bad as the bent arm. However, I feel like it is easier to hit my line using the bent arm. Perhaps this is due to not being as comfortable with the straight arm.

3. Distance is easier to achieve with the straight arm, but not max distance. I know that sounds funny but hear me out. I am finding that I can throw max drives further with the bent arm. However, if I throw a shot that is powered-down, the D falls off quicker. With a straight arm, I can throw a Buzzz at 60% and it will go just as far as a bent arm 70%.

These findings may seem wierd to you, I know they did to me. I'm wondering if others have noticed similar results. Maybe I am just doing it wrong.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2011, 04:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHBH
I started using straight arm and gained about 30' instantly. Accuracy went to hell in a handbasket, but it's coming back too.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazillion View Post
I started using straight arm and gained about 30' instantly. Accuracy went to hell in a handbasket, but it's coming back too.
same here. had 1 or 2 days of great success. then 1 terrible day at league... but i'm blaming that on beer and shenanigans

too early to tell anything conclusive though. i changed my xstep as well... so D is huge, accuracy... isn't
Old 05-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 21
Your seeing more snap when not fully extend due to the reduced timing variables of reaching straight back.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:06 AM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 213
Even with straight arm you should not be locking the elbow, so technically everything is a bent arm
Old 05-27-2011, 11:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
Even with straight arm you should not be locking the elbow, so technically everything is a bent arm
Never really thought about it that way, but you are right. There is a signifcant differance between the two styles though. I was surprised that the impact of the differing styles on the flight of the disc.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 30
I try to keep my elbow locked. The way I look at distance throws is like an infielder and outfielder in baseball. An infielders throw relies on snap and being quick(bent arm). An outfielders throw is trying to create the biggest circle(I don't know if that makes sense) to build up speed.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergdawg View Post
I try to keep my elbow locked. The way I look at distance throws is like an infielder and outfielder in baseball. An infielders throw relies on snap and being quick(bent arm). An outfielders throw is trying to create the biggest circle(I don't know if that makes sense) to build up speed.
Interesting. Are you bringing your arm in tight to your body, or is it a wide motion?
Old 05-27-2011, 12:22 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergdawg View Post
I try to keep my elbow locked.
Then you are doing it wrong.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstearns5 View Post
Interesting. Are you bringing your arm in tight to your body, or is it a wide motion?
A wide motion, yes.