I'm sure.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2011, 12:28 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
Unintentional OAT (rolling your wrist over) makes my elbow hurt as well. After I cleaned up my throw I rarely, if ever get elbow pain from DG.

Locking your elbow (which sounds like hyper extending to me) is bad, too.
From the master's mouth
Old 05-27-2011, 12:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergdawg View Post
A wide motion, yes.
I would love to see a video, if you have one. I really want to see how it works. Have you always thrown that way, or did you change it up and see some better results using that method?
Old 05-27-2011, 12:31 PM
* Ace Member *

With all due respect, please don't turn this into a my way vs. your way war. I am genuinely interested in seeing this style. There may be something to learn here.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHBH
Jon Drummond would be the guy I would show as an example of someone that throws massively long throws with the straight arm technique (DGR Throw Analysis). There are two very important things you have to do to successfully throw straight arm long and accurate.

First, straight arm needs a large amount of body extension on the reach back. This is why this style may generally favor a taller, or lankier person for big D. If you're looking forward (at the pin) during your reach back then you're not rotating your body correctly for this form and you're cutting your distance potential.

Second, you need to pull through close to your body while maintaining a straight line. This is how you generate acceleration, accuracy and snap as your elbow bends through your rotation and 'levers' out to the hit.

I went over my form with him a few years ago and I've closely adopted this way of throwing. It's very easy to disc down with this method while maintaining a large amount of power. It has enabled me to consistently throw my mids 350' - 400' and drivers 400' - 500' without suffering major hits to my accuracy. I'm 6' 0", 180lbs and I'd recommend it for anyone tall or lanky that wants to generate a large amount of leverage from their extension (no offense to anyone shorter or stout, I just don't personally know if this is the best form for you).
Old 05-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
From the master's mouth
That's great. I don't throw like that, I don't have OAT and my arm doesn't hurt.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstearns5 View Post
I would love to see a video, if you have one. I really want to see how it works. Have you always thrown that way, or did you change it up and see some better results using that method?
I'll try and capture some video this weekend and post it for you. I flex my whole arm while throwing to keep it straight if that helps, too.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergdawg View Post
I'll try and capture some video this weekend and post it for you. I flex my whole arm while throwing to keep it straight if that helps, too.
Sounds good. Thanks
Old 05-27-2011, 01:12 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstearns5 View Post
With all due respect, please don't turn this into a my way vs. your way war. I am genuinely interested in seeing this style. There may be something to learn here.
My way is the wrong way, I thought you saw the video

Old 05-27-2011, 01:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbowdown View Post
Jon Drummond would be the guy I would show as an example of someone that throws massively long throws with the straight arm technique (DGR Throw Analysis). There are two very important things you have to do to successfully throw straight arm long and accurate.

First, straight arm needs a large amount of body extension on the reach back. This is why this style may generally favor a taller, or lankier person for big D. If you're looking forward (at the pin) during your reach back then you're not rotating your body correctly for this form and you're cutting your distance potential.

Second, you need to pull through close to your body while maintaining a straight line. This is how you generate acceleration, accuracy and snap as your elbow bends through your rotation and 'levers' out to the hit.

I went over my form with him a few years ago and I've closely adopted this way of throwing. It's very easy to disc down with this method while maintaining a large amount of power. It has enabled me to consistently throw my mids 350' - 400' and drivers 400' - 500' without suffering major hits to my accuracy. I'm 6' 0", 180lbs and I'd recommend it for anyone tall or lanky that wants to generate a large amount of leverage from their extension (no offense to anyone shorter or stout, I just don't personally know if this is the best form for you).
From the second picture, it looks to me like he's using bent-elbow. I mean, a straight reachback but having the elbow bent during the hit. Am I wrong? Or is the pic just taken the second before his elbow extends?