Old 06-02-2011, 04:09 AM

How to grip a mid

So I only have 8 holes of experience under my belt and am planning on hitting up my local course tomorrow with my newly purchased Roc. When I played the 8 holes previously I was instructed to use the power grip, I was throwing a Beast. Is this the same grip I should use when throwing the Roc? Should my approach be like a driver too with the x-step and all as well?
Old 06-02-2011, 04:25 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
I use the same grip on mids as I do on drivers. I know many people who do this. Some people use a fan grip on their approach shots. Depending on how much power is needed decides whether you need to use an X-step or not. As far as the grip goes, just figure out what works best for you (check out other variations here: http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/dave...grip-tips.html ) , and try to make the disc pivot off of your pointer finger, squeezing the disc between your thumb and pointer the most.

Last edited by Travis1010; 06-02-2011 at 04:29 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 101
i do a three finger stack on pretty much all throws
Old 06-02-2011, 04:47 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 127
powergrip will not work with a roc. i use a "modified grip". grab the disc with what feels comfortable. then grip with the powergrip. find a comfortable balance between them. mine consists of index and pinky curled on the rim,like a powergrip, and middle and ring somewhat flat on the plate. everyones different, but thats what works for me, and works well. bottom line is you need to throw more, youre like a newborn friggin baby right now
Old 06-02-2011, 05:36 AM

Sounds good, I'll get out there and throw throw throw!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:30 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripit209 View Post
Sounds good, I'll get out there and throw throw throw!
and don't listen to people who say you should throw this and that and this way and that way, come to this forum instead for help. That roc should be super awesome and you'll learn a lot from that disc. In my humble opinion, don't try any high speed driver for quite some time, use the fairway drivers that are listed on innova's website. Personally only throw a katana otherwise I too use all fairway drivers/mids/putters.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:35 AM

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by notBOB View Post
powergrip will not work with a roc. i use a "modified grip". grab the disc with what feels comfortable. then grip with the powergrip. find a comfortable balance between them. mine consists of index and pinky curled on the rim,like a powergrip, and middle and ring somewhat flat on the plate. everyones different, but thats what works for me, and works well. bottom line is you need to throw more, youre like a newborn friggin baby right now
^^^^this. i personally find it helps with control on the wider diameter mids with this grip.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Par Member

When I started I also had a Roc, and it felt really uncomfortable to power grip. Then I found out about the "Climo grip" or "fork grip":
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

To me that grip immediately felt right with the Roc, and I still throw every disc with it. Some people have commented on my throws that I really get a good spin on the disc, and I attribute at least some of it to that grip. And the great thing is that I can comfortably grip all discs from putters to wide rim drivers with the same grip.

But the most important thing is to find a grip that feels comfortable and strong for you.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 102
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Dave Feldberg showing a modified power grip for throwing mids.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: LHBH
i grip my mids the same way i grip my drivers