Old 06-02-2011, 08:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 196
As to your run up or x-step with an approach shot I would suggest working on throws without an x-step. If you learn to shift your weight forward on those shots you should be able to have very good control and still get decent distance. It will also help you when you have lies that leave you with poor footing or no room for a run up.

Use whatever grip feels good to you. I power grip my mids, and it works fine. If the fork grip feels comfortable then go with that.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: LHBH
once you learn to grip and throw mids, the game becomes far more enjoyable. you'll find yourself on the fairway time and time again, getting progressively closer to the basket each day
Old 06-02-2011, 09:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 7
First read this:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resour...ttoripit.shtml

As long as you can get all of the important things from that article incorporated into your grip you'll be fine. What most people who have a solid understanding of grip find is that their grips with mids and fairway drivers are really similar. For putters their grip looks and feels a bit different, but it still accomplishes everything from that article (your lock point will feel different because of the deep but narrow rim). I'd highly recommend getting a power grip to work with your Roc. FWIW, when my grip was bad the Roc felt bad in my hand. After I fixed my grip it felt great.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
[QUOTE=notBOB;866077]powergrip will not work with a roc.QUOTE]

Yes it will.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by archmage View Post
When I started I also had a Roc, and it felt really uncomfortable to power grip. Then I found out about the "Climo grip" or "fork grip":
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
I use this for everything. Thanks to the Feldberg putting videos, I even pretty much use this for putting also.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by notBOB View Post
powergrip will not work with a roc.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperspike View Post
I thought the same thing.

I use a power grip on all my discs, drivers, mids, putters. If I take some power off of shots for more control, I use the fan grip that feldberg showed in his video. Doesn't matter if it's a wide rimmed nuke, or a wizard, you can power grip anything.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by CwAlbino View Post
I thought the same thing.

I use a power grip on all my discs, drivers, mids, putters. If I take some power off of shots for more control, I use the fan grip that feldberg showed in his video. Doesn't matter if it's a wide rimmed nuke, or a wizard, you can power grip anything.
People just apply grip pressure to the wrong parts of the disc when they power grip mids/putters and get funky wobble from the disc catching the tips of their middle and ring fingers when they are locked on the rim. That's why you get people claiming you HAVE to fan grip a Roc.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 41
Barry Schultz' main pointer in his clinic was to do what is comfortable for YOU. It's good to try new grips, but don't do something that feels weird just because someone told you too. Like others have said, it is good to try and improve your form, but you need to learn your own style by simply going out to the course and throwing a lot of shots. Once you start getting control and distance, then you can tweak certain aspects to get the most out of your game. But it's YOUR game, not anyone else's

Old 06-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicinalfunk View Post
once you learn to grip and throw mids, the game becomes far more enjoyable. you'll find yourself on the fairway time and time again, getting progressively closer to the basket each day
This. I have always been above average as far as distance is concerned, but as I have become a better player, I find myself throwing my Rocs and wizards more and more, and getting more satisfactory throws as a result.

Hell, I witnessed Will Schusterick park a 560' hole with his Roc. And when I say park, I mean he picked up his Roc and dropped it in the basket, no putter needed