Disc Golf Store
Old 06-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHFH
Composure

I've been recently analyzing my rounds and I have noticed that if i take a 4 or the occasional 5 on a whole i usually end up at least taking a 4 or another 5 on the the next whole. So my question is. How do you move on from your last hole that was a bogey or double bogey?
Old 06-02-2011, 09:46 PM

Courses Played: 19
Don't think about the hole. Think about the shot at hand.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
I just mentally "start over" every hole. As I walk up to a tee, I'm sitting at even, and throwing my first shot of the day, every time. I actually tend to do worse when I take into account how good I'm doing, not how bad ironically. "Hey, I'm -3 right now." Blam! Tree.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 46
this is so tough! I think that it all comes down to confidence...example, after a three putt you have to dwell on the thousands of putts that you have previously made from those distances and move on. don't think to much about failures or making a mistake...almost anytime I think "man, I could easily miss this 20 footer" I usually do
Old 06-02-2011, 10:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 32
I have struggled with this myself. I would take it a step further and really get mad at myself and get worked up. It would always cause me to play worse, too. I have focused a lot of my energy lately on fixing this aspect in my game. I find two things that really help:

1. I've learned to laugh at my mistakes, even when I want to punch something. It's hard to stay mad when you force yourself to laugh. It's kind of wierd how you can almost trick yourself into being more positive. I play better when I am positive.

2. I focus on my breathing. I sound like a hippy, but it helps. Focusing on breathing slowly allows by body and mind to relax and put the last shot/hole behind me.

My game has improved more when I starters spending more energy on my mental game, then when I spent time in a field or on the course.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkFTW View Post
I've been recently analyzing my rounds and I have noticed that if i take a 4 or the occasional 5 on a whole i usually end up at least taking a 4 or another 5 on the the next whole. So my question is. How do you move on from your last hole that was a bogey or double bogey?
Just tell yourself, "every golfer gets bogeys. Even the pros." I've struggled with this before and I soon realized that alot of my back to back bogeys came from me making bad choices on the second hole to try to get that stroke back. Just focus on each hole, one at a time.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 82
Deep breathing.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:05 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
Deep breathing.
Woo-sah!!
Old 06-03-2011, 12:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 58
I often think about sports psychology when out on the course. Not that any of my insight is any good, as I still fall apart when there's any kind of stakes involved lol.

How I've been working on mine is simply setting up my basket at home as well as just going to the course and constantly practicing. When I do play against others I've been working on getting my mindset into:
Walk to the teepad thinking "I've done this a thousand times already."
Set up for the shot thinking "just like last time."
Let go of the disc "just like that."

If it doesn't do what I want there is a moment of frustration and then analyzation of the next shot whille fondling my doscs for the right one for the shot.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:16 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcheType View Post
I just mentally "start over" every hole. As I walk up to a tee, I'm sitting at even, and throwing my first shot of the day, every time. I actually tend to do worse when I take into account how good I'm doing, not how bad ironically. "Hey, I'm -3 right now." Blam! Tree.
Sounds just like me. I am much better when all I do is write down the score and get ready for the next shot. If I look at the card and see just how good I am doing, I typically lose it quickly. I have been at -6 after 8 holes, and finish at +1 because I began to think about it and dwell on it.

On the other hand, I can be way over par, and finish decently after I quit thinking about the score. At one of our minis, I was at +7 after 5 holes and told everyone to write my score down and not tell me where I was after that. I finished that round at +2.

I wish this game wasn't so mentally tough.