the herbal medicine always helped me not dwell on the past
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2011, 01:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 106
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=27231
Focus- Dealing with Bad shots by Craigg
*When you make an errant throw don't consider it a bad shot, consider it an OPPORTUNITY to make a GREAT SHOT on your next throw. Only think about- ONE SHOT AT A TIME! One errant throw does not necessarily mean bogey. So when you make an opportunity for yourself, focus on THAT - and not what is beyond that. If you have to suck it up and pitch out so that you can lay up and take a 4 - learn to do that. Trying to save 3 will more often lead to bigger #'s, which = more frustration, etc.

*Learn to laugh at your bad shots - getting all pissed off will do nothing for your game. Besides - if you don't laugh at your bad shots........ how can I?
Old 06-03-2011, 02:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Just let it roll off the shoulders...
Herbal, nicotine, beer, and snacks can help take your mind off the last hole. I carry a lot of snacks for this reason. Its hard to be pissed with chocolate in your mouth.

Also try listening to music, same as the food, hard to be pissed when you have marleys Two birds going in the ears.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchitti View Post
Herbal, nicotine, beer, and snacks can help take your mind off the last hole. I carry a lot of snacks for this reason. Its hard to be pissed with chocolate in your mouth.

Also try listening to music, same as the food, hard to be pissed when you have marleys Two birds going in the ears.
heck yea man
Old 06-03-2011, 03:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 45
I just don't think about my bad shots. I always try to make a joke or something about my really bad shots as well because when you don't the rest of the group isn't really sure what to say and it can be awkward. If I have a quite group to begin with whistling always helps ease the tension a bit.

I don't see the point of getting mad or upset about my bad shots. If I want to get in a bad mood I'll just go drive behind someone going 15 under in the far left lane.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 172
For me, it's the simple fact that you can't change the past. I try to approach each shot individually. Whatever happened, good, bad or indifferent, has happened and nothing you do can change it. Nor does it have any bearing on the shot at hand. What happened before simply doesn't matter.

... other than the fact that it was my shanked drive that put me into the deep brush where the only possible escape was a blind thumber just to get out, which overshot the fairway and landed in the water, forcing me to throw my upshot from the designated drop zone, which I pretty much lay-up ('cause I'm scared I'll get my 2nd "double circle 7") so I can finish with a two-putt ('cause I laid up way too short), and, let's see.... carry the one, and.... six!

Which beats a double circle 7 every time, so this strategy obviously works. Just take each shot one at a time and don't let it affect your next shot. It's all a mental game, as in this round is gonna drive me mental.

But seriously, regardless of how you got there, the only thing that ever matters right then & there is the shot you are throwing. How you ended up with that shot doesn't matter at that point.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchitti View Post

so that's why I see so much weed on the course...
Old 06-03-2011, 04:52 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 29
I just chalk it up to experience and lesson learned, Then start all over again on the next hole.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:02 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 9
Posture!

At the next throw, keep your head down as best as you can and watch yourself throw. I think worry leads to tension in the neck and head and before you know it you're literally looking around in anger at where your next error is going to be without knowing it.

Just think about one simple thing about technique: count steps or think of a strong wrist at release, or think of being on the balls of your feet. Simple focus takes the stress off of your head - and then the rest of the body.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bholy08 View Post
this is so tough! I think that it all comes down to confidence...example, after a three putt you have to dwell on the thousands of putts that you have previously made from those distances and move on. don't think to much about failures or making a mistake...almost anytime I think "man, I could easily miss this 20 footer" I usually do
A good friend from NE told me the most important thing to pack in your bag........... is confidence.