Disc Golf Center
Old 06-02-2011, 10:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: RHBH
Wrist angle

I'd like to discuss the wrist angle in terms of cranking it down more into the shaking hands position, versus more up in the toothbrush holding posiiton.

I find that as I go to a more stable driver for wind or line I get more nose up, but I am recently finding that I can adjust for that by cranking the wrist down more into the shake hands position when I am using the more stable disc. Doing that keeps the disc (banshee, for example) low, but it seems to start with a bit of an anny and flex out, for a fairly pronounced S curve. If I try the same wrist angle for less stable discs in less windy conditions, they turn and burn, so I adjust it.

So, I presume I'm doing it wrong. What should I be doing instead?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 33
Your wrist should be in the shaking hands position all the time. You should manipulate flight with shoulder/arm planes, not your wrist.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:46 PM
* Ace Member *

I guess photos might help. The change in angle is really subtle. I think the main thing is that I am pushing the angle as far down as possible during the throw, which I guess keeps those muscles occupied in doing something. Maybe that's what is having the effect? Just straining to exagerate the angle down as much as possible and hold it there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0194.JPG (134.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0195.JPG (140.1 KB, 33 views)
Old 06-02-2011, 10:56 PM
* Ace Member *

from this article, which basically says, anything other than the parallel position leads to OAT or loss of power, but in more detail.

edit: also, either you just positioned odd for the picture, or you load your wrist wayyy to much. you're wrapped around the disc too much.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
edit: also, either you just positioned odd for the picture, or you load your wrist wayyy to much. you're wrapped around the disc too much.
That's just having to take the picture myself. I don't curl the wrist closed that much in the xy plane.

Pushing the thumb etc, down in the z plane seems to effect the angle of my forearm in the z plane though. I think you can see it in the photo. That's not just a camera angle change.

What confuses me is that the angle of the disc would seem to be more hyzer from cranking it down, but the effect is more anhyzer. Maybe I'm actually inducing OAT, instead of reducing it?
Old 06-02-2011, 11:10 PM
* Ace Member *

I'm betting that's due to the change in the z plane effecting your wrist movement. Hold your hand in the standard postion, aligned straight with your forearm, and see how much movement you can get forwards and backwards. Now load your hand down on the z plane, as if you were in the middle of waving to someone and stopped, and try to mimic the same motion. Do you feel that "swoop"? It's an issue of the joints flexible limits, you can't only move in the x plane once you go down in the z, meaning you induce OAT.

I hope that made sense, I'll get photos if not.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcheType View Post
I'll get photos if not.
Please do, when it's convenient. I'm not following.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
I'd like to discuss the wrist angle in terms of cranking it down more into the shaking hands position, versus more up in the toothbrush holding posiiton.

I find that as I go to a more stable driver for wind or line I get more nose up, but I am recently finding that I can adjust for that by cranking the wrist down more into the shake hands position when I am using the more stable disc. Doing that keeps the disc (banshee, for example) low, but it seems to start with a bit of an anny and flex out, for a fairly pronounced S curve. If I try the same wrist angle for less stable discs in less windy conditions, they turn and burn, so I adjust it.

So, I presume I'm doing it wrong. What should I be doing instead?
Rolling your wrist over, oat monster. Dropping the throwing shoulder for hyzer should help you finish higher and palm down, or finish neutral for flat.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Alright, neutral wrist position

wrist backward (where it would be when you snap and release a disc)

wrist cranked down (which would appear to add hyzer)

wrist cranked down trying to snap back

Do you see how the plane changes? one your wrist is cranked down, you can't snap it in a single plan, it rolls due to the flexible limits of the joint itself, actually inducing OAT.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Rolling your wrist over, oat monster. Dropping the throwing shoulder for hyzer should help you finish higher and palm down, or finish neutral for flat.
I'm not clear on what "rolling your wrist over" means. I picture turning it like a key in a lock, which is not what I am talking about. I'm talking about pushing the thumb down like in the photos above. What do you mean by "rolling your wrist over?"

Dropping the throwing shoulder sounds like something to try! I'll let you know how it goes