Old 03-03-2016, 10:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Default 2016 -the beginning of the end of my bag switching?

Hello folks. Not really looking for too much advice at this point. I think I'm finally almost done. The only thing in limbo right now is the mid setup.

I like each disc in my bag to have a specific role with minimal overlap, but I don't like my roles so rigid that only one disc will do a specific shot. It helps keep my decisions easy. I also like to have multiples of one mold if possible across plastics in varying stabilities.

Kc aviar, fresh for putts - 170
Kc aviar, beat for long putts - 169
Star aviar driver, for putter drives and approaches - 175

Doggy style lid, 175g - this is going to get basically every NAG shot I come across. It's great for me backhand on short drives, hyzerflips and drifting hyzer/anhyzer shots. It's great for flicks from 100' out or so, too long to jump putt but too short to actually throw. Also for putts from compromised positions. It's just so glidey. I've been all over the basket with this thing. I'll keep it in the bag at all times, even on windy days. We play a lot of woods golf and even in the open you can have a tailwind or crosswind hyzer action.

Z hornet - 170, crazy wind, skip shots, rollers, spike hyzers.

Z wasp - 170, straight to fade duty. Not used often, but when I need it....I need it.

Z comet - 175g, almost all longer approach, standstill drives, driving duty in the woods. My most used disc, easily.

Gstar gazelle, 170g - hyzerflips and turnovers, shot shaper extraordinaire. It'll do most stuff I need.

Cfr glo gazelle, 175g - much more hss, straight to easy fade.

Double eagle stamp - overstable, not glidey. Will season in for years. Big fairway hyzers and flex shots. Tommy and thumber duty. Fh rollers.

Pd - spd, seasoned. Straight to fade. Still overstable-ish. Roller, Tommy, thumber

3rd run cpd - pretty much never need this. Spd still handles decent wind, but it'll beat and separate its role more.

Ppd - hyzerflips, controlled distance shots, turnovers.

H1 - superbeef. Cut rollers and normal fh rollers, Tommy, thumber, spikes, skips.

Cpd2, fresh for beef. Spike hyzers and thumber/Tommy roller duty.

Ppd2 - fresh, seasoning. Main windy day driver.

Ppd2 - beat for big d.

Will be seasoning a bunch of p line and then eventually season up spd2 instead.

So that's it.

The only iffy area is the wasp/comet/hornet for me. Thinking of going sentinel/comet instead, or just getting a heavier wasp. I fear a sentinel would overlap my double eagle stamps quite a bit.

That is my full bag - I likely will not carry a full bag all the time. This would be my fun round bag:

Kc aviar, fresh putting.
Wasp
Comet
Gstar gazelle
Cfr glo gazelle
Ppd
Spd
Ppd2, beat
Cpd2
H1
Doggy style

I'll probably use this for a lot of rounds, and I'd have no problem playing aviar/wasp/comet/pd or gazelle rounds too.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2016, 11:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 13

How often do you use the Hornet? If not that often, I could see you pulling that, going to a heavier/fresher Wasp, and powering down on the double eagle stamp if you need to cover an OS mid shot.

If you use it often, however, there is nothing wrong with the mid set up you have now (utility, stable, workable).
Old 03-03-2016, 11:17 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.2

Is the hornet necessary with an H1? The distance can't be that different?
Old 03-04-2016, 08:30 AM
* Ace Member *

I agree, Brody. It's something I'll probably be trying.

As far as the h1 vs the hornet, I feel these discs are more different. The h1 acts much differently for thumbers, tomahawk shots and rollers. It is also several times more os than the hornet, despite the hornet being quite beefy.

I actually can throw my hornet farther than my h1. In high wind, it holds straight much longer. The h1 doesn't seem to care whether there is wind or not, it does the same thing.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:24 PM
* Ace Member *

There may be some changes to the hornet, maybe a zone instead again. the reasoning? None. I don't really see a need to change - I haven't had any problems with the hornet, but the zone always was a good roller.

Everything else? Solid.

Today I drove with the comet, gazelle and wasp 9/10 times. Lots of standstill driving, the wasp held perfect into head and cross winds. I had several touch approach shots around trees, NAGS, reach-out forehands where the doggy style gave me a parkjob that would've been a lot more difficult with any other disc. The gazelle piped the fairways.

Obviously anybody can have a bad round and shoot high, but with these four discs there just aren't any times where I feel out of control or counted out on a tricky approach.

Even my seasoned ppd2 held into a 15-20 mph headwind today on about a 390-400' drive. it's like a new star destroyer now.

Pd did perfect but there weren't many times where I needed or wanted to throw it.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Hornet out. Don't need it. Heavy wasp is fine, and it feels better, nice bead.

Pd and olf are duking it out. Unsure if an olf can hold in a headwind like a pd.

Picked up a couple more ppd2, specifically Max d plh is low. Put one over the path into the woods and the other into the chips on hole 18 at the valley. probably a 430' drive, feels good to be chucking again!

Alllllmost done with decision making for the year!
Old 03-10-2016, 05:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodachrome View Post
Alllllmost done with decision making for the year!
I don't believe you.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:07 PM
* Ace Member *

It's true! Probably not. But I do love all my bag.

It's just that pd are really quite overstable when you get down to it. The more I throw, the more I realize that I want straight flights from my mids, putters and fairways...but the control and Max d I want some wiggle. Forgiveness on those kinds of shots is nice.

I picked up a couple domier, lower plh spd today too and I don't really like them.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

OLF are great, but the PD is just an awesome disc. If you have pat #, which I know you do, then the grass will not be greener over there. Keep chucking those PDs. Or buy all 20 of my OLFs

Old 03-10-2016, 07:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Yeah, I have a bunch of patent pd.

The solf I just bought flies farther than my pd and has no turn.

I'll snag some more and make my decision, but I've always been secretly in love with the olf.

It didn't help that I parked every shot with the olf tonight, haha. They aren't as os as the pd, but they don't have any turn either...Soooooo....they're pretty awesome...