Old 08-02-2014, 08:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
The Bag of Brodysseus (Summer 2014)

Vitals-
Experience: 3-4 years (very casual), 2 Years (serious)

Throwing Style: RHBH dominant, RHFH is getting better and I now trust it off the tee when it's called for, some overhand/flick rollers for recovery/approaches.

Sex: Male

Injuries: Previous back injuries, doesn't affect game, just easy for me to tighten up

Proficiencies: Baseball, Hockey, Ball Golf

Goals: Building a bag not based solely on brand loyalty, that covers all the shots I need without having too many molds (I am not going to be as strict on mold minimalism as I have been before), and trying to move away from high speed discs I don't have the arm for.

Notes:
*This bag is built around the core of Rocs and Teebirds which is a huge part of my game.
*The Mortars are new to the bag but were an instan hit, predictable and workable enough to replace my VPs for approaching but fast and comfortable enough to cover my overstable mid needs too (as well as being one mold that covers both those slots, which I like).
*The Tanks are also new and I may move back to Wizards at some point. But I've liked the Tank so far and Hyzerbomb impressed me greatly with their customer service (they fixed my error on an order, quickly and efficiently, knocked off some of the price on the order, broke the shipments up to get everything to me quicker at no extra cost, and threw a disc and patch for free!) so I want to bag a few more of their discs to show support.
*I have thrown PDs before, but this is the first time Ive cycled a variety of them in different plastics. I wanted to move away from the way too fast drivers (Destroyers, Lace varieties, Terns, etc) I've been throwing. I love my Teebird cycle, so I figured I'd try it with PDs.
*The distances listed for the discs are just rough guidelines, sort of my "sweet spot" distance for those slots.

The Bag:

PD x4: (~350')
175g C-line- Headwind distance, Skips.
175 S-line- Overstable to Stable distance.
175 G-line- Stable distance.
175 P-line- Primary distance.

Teebird x6: (~300')
175 Brinster- Headwinds, very OS 'bird.
175 12X Champ- Overstable 'bird.
175 G*- Stable 'bird with some extra fade. Really sticks on landing, like it for hyzer spikes.
175 DX x3- Stable, neutral, and understable 'birds that glide great. Primary fairways.

Roc x3:(~250')
180 DX Glow- Slightly OS/Stable mid.
180 DX x2- Stable/neutral mid and neutral/US mid.

Mortar x2: (~225')
175 Recon- Headwind/Overstable mid. Approaches that need to skip.
175 FrontlineX- Approaches that need to stick

Tank x3: (~200')
170 Soft x3- All putter duties; driving, approaching, and putting

Desired area of feedback:
What am I missing?
Is there any overlap?
How does my PD cycle look?
Any other thoughts/questions/comments/critiques?
Old 08-02-2014, 11:24 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 3
In practice, I find the PD and Teebird to be able to hit fairly similar lines even - with the PD being faster with less glide. For that reason I don't carry them both in the bag. Do you find the two overlapping for you at all?
Old 08-03-2014, 02:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip Hyzerman View Post
In practice, I find the PD and Teebird to be able to hit fairly similar lines even - with the PD being faster with less glide. For that reason I don't carry them both in the bag. Do you find the two overlapping for you at all?
The Teebirds definitely get more use than the PDs and they are certainly similar. But there are differences. The C and S PDs have a more aggressive fade than my Teebirds. The P line shows some turn and S-curves, unlike the Teebirds which will just lock onto a line. Also, while my Brinster and 12x will hold up in a headwind, the premium plastic PDs seem to penetrate better. And the PDs are longer, even if it's only 20' or so on average.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:27 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Throwing Style: LHBH
I've watched your bag posts since I've been on the site, we've always thrown similar stuff, even moving from all Vibram to the "classics". I'm surprised you moved away from the VPs, especially if you're ranging the Mortars and Tanks at 225' and below....I'd think the VPs would all of that for you. I tried going with all Ridges for putters and letting my mids handle the VP duties, but I found myself missing my VP immediately.

You're probably covered for every shot, regardless whether you're throwing the rubber or the Hyzer Bomb stuff. One thing I would suggest is try out a Z Comet in your US Roc spot. I wouldn't say run out and get one, but if you have an opportunity to pick one up with tourney winnings or a trade, it's worth trying. I do the DX Roc cycle, too, and found myself scared to keep throwing my US DX Roc in the woods...afraid I'd beat it out of its perfect US slot. I got a Z Comet from league winnings and I'm really surprised by easy the transition was.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

The VPs may make it back into the bag, they were the hardest disc for me to pull. But between Tank/Wizard and Mortars, they just weren't seeing much use.

And I have a stack of X Comets in case I lose an understable Roc. Actually just pulled one when a Roc finally got to be where I wanted it to be.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Well after a few rounds with this bag I'm debating if I should put my Laces back in. I have a beat flippy Proto that I really like for long hyzer flip turnovers and rollers and I really don't have a disc that covers those shots in this bag, except maybe my flippiest Teebird. And my other Medium Lace goes further than PDs for me, even if they're technically too fast for me, and I missed that on a few holes. Thoughts?

Also, I may have to stick a VP back in my bag. My mortars are performing great but I don't have them dialed in near as well as my VPs for flick roller recoveries. I think I can dial them in so I'll give it a little more time, but just something I'm thinking about.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Here's how the bag is looking right now:

Tern x2- 175 Champ, 175 Star
PD x4- 175 C, 175 S, 175 G, 175 P
Teebird x6- 175 Brinster, 175 12x, 175 G*, 175 DX x3
Roc x3- 180 DX Glow, 180 DX x2
Mortar x2- 175 Recon, 175 Frontline-X
Tank x3- 170 Soft x3

Absolutely loving the Terns and the bag in general. I am noticing some overlap between my PDs and Teebirds, with the Teebirds getting the lion's share of the work. However, I do like the PDs for FH drives and the C and S penetrate wind better than my Brinster and 12x. The Brinster holds up n the wind fine but it still dumps off instead of penetrating. So I may scale back the PDs a little bit... Thoughts?