Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quinum's Bag 2015

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: ~6 years
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, RHFH, some OH
Golf Distance (avg/max) for putter/mid/driver: Judge: 220/250'; Roc3: 250/280'; Teebird: 320/360'

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: None
Other sport proficiencies?: Baseball

Bag:

Drivers
171 Champ Teebird, (8/10) - main driver
165 DX Teebird, (6/10) - anhyzer
167 Champ Firebird, (7/10) - overstable/headwind

Mids:
171 Champ Roc3, (7/10) - straight w/ a little fade
176 Champ Roc3, (9/10) - straight w/ more fade

Putters:
174 Classic Judge (x2), (9/10) - main putters
176 Classic Judge, (7/10) - driving putter
174 BT Hard Harp (8/10) - overstable/headwinds *basically use as an OS mid
176 BT Soft Harp (7/10) - approach

I am fairly happy with my bag, and I like to keep the number of molds down to a minimum. The main areas I am lacking are a turnover mid and a truly understable fairway. I am hoping to beat a Champ Roc3 and Champ Teebird into these slots eventually, but I am not sure if this is realistic. My DX Teebird is working OK for turnovers right now, but DX seems to change its flight characteristics pretty frequently and I am hoping to get a disc that stays in the sweet spot for a long time.

I am also tempted to step into some higher-speed stuff, but I may just stick with the fairways for the time being and truly master them. I am open to suggestions, though.

Any input is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2015, 02:33 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 11
Bag looks good overall. I like the minimal molds. I also like the putter setup. I am running judges and just picked up the harp to replace my sinus.

If you are looking for understable fairways and mids, why not look into gstar teebirds and roc3s? They have been said to be less stable than champ, but it depends on if you can stand the feel of the plastic.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:34 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 24
In the effort to keep molds down as you requested here are my suggestions.

Mcpro Roc3 are much straighter with less fade out of the box and beat in quicker. Mcbeth uses one as a roller once its beat in.

Champ TL is more understable than a teebird, but I would call it straight more than truly understable. I've never beat one in, but they feel A LOT like a teebird. I think they make TL in Star as well, maybe even GStar, it would be more understable in GStar.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:36 PM
Birdie Member

Thanks a lot for the input. I have definitely seen the Gstar teebirds in my local shop - I guess I will have to pick one up and see how it feels in the hand. Does Gstar beat in pretty quickly in general?

I wasn't aware they made Gstar Roc3s. I have definitely seen the McPro (or just Pro?) ones, but Gstar might be a longer-lasting option. A TL could be interesting. Not sure I have seen one before - might have to read up on it a bit.

I hope you like your Harp, livextreme. I love mine and I find myself reaching for it a ton, especially in the wind...which we have a lot of in TX. Very useful disc that really covers that "tweener" gap well IMO.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:43 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 24
yeah TL is the bridge between a Teebird and a Leopard. Hence the name TL. Innova was really creative sometimes...

It feels a lot more like a Teebird though. Brand new a TL flies like a beat in Teebird. Really underrated disc.

McPro should last long enough to not be a concern with cycling as long as you're only planning on throwing them for the understable slot. It will last A LOT longer than DX and even longer than standard Pro plastic from what I've heard.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:36 PM
Birdie Member

Ah, ok gotcha. I will probably go check out a McPro and Gstar Roc3 and see how they feel. It would be great to have the same mold as my US mid option.

Checked out the flight ratings for the TL over at infinite discs, and it looks intriguing. Appears to fly very straight. I really like champ plastic, though, so I wonder if a light champ TL would turn or hold an anhyzer consistently right off the shelf?
Old 04-02-2015, 09:51 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Trust me, what you want is a Gstar Teebird.

Gstar Roc3s are all over the place really. I'd say try a Mako3 for US
Old 04-02-2015, 11:14 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 4
There are dx roc3's out there. They beat to understable pretty quick but are proshop only I think. Having one or two might be a good idea till you can get a more durable roc3 to that spot.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:15 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
I think a GStar TL3 might work a little better than a Champ TL. It still starts out pretty neutral/straight, but with some beating in would be a nice compliment for a Teebird.

But the disc you really NEED in this slot is a Discmania FD Jackal. The S-line are great. One of my all time favorite discs. Sits beautifully next to the Teebird in my lineup. Can do straight shots, turnovers, hold a nice anhyzer and all with minimal fade at the end. The G-line are even a little more understable and the C-lines are a little more overstable. I think S-line is where it's at to start with. Trust me, you'll love this disc. Great glide too.

I think you can do great with just a Teebird and an FD without the need for higher speed stuff. Here's a few recommendations if you want to try going faster:
-If you only wanted one disc, I'd go with a Dynamic Discs Escape. Speed 9, with more glide and distance than a Teebird. Has a little turn and a nice fade, and just bombs. Will want to turn more in a decent headwind, so be careful there.
-If you wanted two higher speed discs, I'd try an S-line PD and a Valkyrie. They make a nice OS/US pair and are great all-around discs.

Turnover mids: I like a Discraft Z Meteor or a Lattitude 64 Opto Fuse. Both are nice US mids ready to go without needing a break in period.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 13
Pick up a McPro Roc3 or DX Roc3 and start beating on it for a turnover mid.
Keep beating that DX Teebird for understable fairway.

Nice bag!