Disc Golf Store
Old 01-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
So after a night of tossing and turning I figured it was time. I've been switching so many discs lately I think I've screwed myself up. So here is the disc downed bag.

Distance
Star Eagle X, 172g- Long flex shots, max D
Champ Eagle X, 175g- Beefy, long hyzers, head winds

Fairways
11x KCP Gazelle, 174g- Super OS, straight hard fade, Utility
Champ Glo Gazelle, 172g- Line shaper, straight with gentle fade, slow hyzers
GL River, 179g- Straight, slow turnover, bailout annys
Opto River, 173g- Hyzer flips and big annys

Mids
GL Fuse, 176g- Understable duties, annys, hyzer flips
Z Buzzz, 173g- Straight slight fade, less height needed than the Roc
Champ XG Roc+, 176g- straight predictable fade, slow bailing annys, sweeping hyzers, needs height to work
Z Wasp, 176g- Beefy, hard hyzers, fast flex shots, skips
ESP Zone, 173g- Utility, spikes, OH, real short hyzers

Putters
Z Magnet, 169g- Approaches and Drives
Pro-D Magnet, 172g- Main Putter

I'm going to stick with this line up for at least a month, then start adding the Orc, PD, OLF, and Sword back in. Hopefully, have the bag up and working again by April. We'll see if my will power will hold out.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

So I've put an Axis in the bag, b/c holy $#!% this thing is the best point and shoot disc I've ever thrown. The problem is I now find that all my mids are overlapping to some degree. Fuse overlaps with the Axis slightly, the Axis with the Buzzz, the Buzzz with the XG Roc, and the Roc with the Wasp. I'm trying to decide what should stay and what should go. Does anyone see a reason to keep all 5 in the bag, and if not what would you're suggestion be? I get nervous that I will start overthinking the disc choice instead of just throwing.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 5
I'd say keep the Axis, Fuse, and Wasp. The Axis and Fuse will overlap slightly, but not that much.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 7
I'm finding myself grabbing for the Fuse for shots I would have normally thrown the Axis on in the past. Overlap is a bitch if you love both of the discs... I still carry the Axis, but the Fuse is far more versatile in my opinion.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

^^^This is what I'm feel also with the Buzzz/Roc. I've carried a Buzzz for years, but I've been reaching for the Roc more and more. I wish really did need all of them.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

So after playing today I'm loving the disc down. I was crushing the eagles and the Gazelles were money.

I was throwing the mids well except for the Roc. I think the Roc is gone, it was fun but just didn't cut the mustard.

I think I'm going to add an anode for long approaches rims a little easy to release than the magnet.

Also switch the esp zone for a z, really loving it.

Been having a little trouble with the rivers, not releasing them well, my annys aren't feeling good, but I think that has more to do not playing a course that has a lot of anny throws.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 66
2x Eagle-X
2x Gazelle
2x River

Wasp
Axis
Fuse

Zone
Anode
D Magnet

That's a pretty nice disc'ed down set up. I'd pull the Z Magnet in favor of an Anode.

Rivers seem like they should have a little more distance potential than Eagles. If you're not getting good D or control out of the Rivers you could remove them and track down a 6/10 KC Pro Gazelle or add a DX to the bag for turnovers.

The Vector is worth a go if you're digging other MVP discs.

A Banshee might not be a bad idea either for overstable utility.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Yeah I hear you on the Rivers. They by far are the longest disc in bag right now when released clean, I just have been getting good releases. Either too late and I turn them too much, or too early and hyzer out. Just need practice.

I'm actually hoping the Anode will replace the Z Magnet that I have been carrying. I'm kinda buying my time till a soft comes out to go with the medium.

I tried the Vectors when they came out and they just didn't seem to click with me, they were either really stable or very straight. Plus I have like 4 backup wasps.

As fare as overstable utility I throw a Opto or GL Trident in the bag when the course or wind calls for it, but between the Champ Eagle X (decent head wind/long hyzers) and the 11x KC Pro Gazelle (this is a crazy OS taffy Gazelle, almost as beefy as my GL Trident) I have most of the shots covered.

I do have a question though, I have no FH. Like to the point where I only throw it if I need to punch out of trouble. However there has been a couple of time during league play that I was about a 90-100' from the basket and completely blocked by trees. I was too close to go tomahawk or thumber, but I had a either a crazy FH spike or a crazy BH anny spike. Tried the both with little success. If I'm going to try and throw a FH spike at that distance what disc should I use, I used the Zone yesterday?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 66
Seems like you're in a pretty good spot with your disc selection. There's no compelling reason to go with a Vector over a good Wasp so, if you like the Wasps you have, I'd stick with 'em!

As far as a 100' forehand, you can throw anything in your bag. That's a technique issue, not a disc selection one. I do think the Zone is a nice FH approach disc because they're nice and flat and beefy. Easy to grip and very forgiving of OAT on short shots. Otherwise the Wasp, Trident, and Anode are also good options.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
Trident would be my suggestion for a short hard FH.. they do like to make a sharp turn.