Old 05-30-2013, 11:18 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
The Hit Point

Hey guys, I'm a little confused about what most people call the hit point in some instructional videos (Shusterick's and Beato's for example). I noticed that they said something along the lines of allowing the disc to rip out of your hand as opposed to simply letting go of it.

I watched Shusterick and it does seem like he keeps his hand closed when he releases the disc. Can someone please explain how this works? I don't see how you can get an accurate release without consciously letting go of the disc. This might be a dumb question, but whatever.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 68
Basically, just keep your grip firm, and when you throw the disc, it will rip out of your hand by itself. It sounds weird, but give it a few tries. It works really well.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:30 PM
Par Member

I guess I'll have to try it out in a field or something. I feel like it'll just stay in my hand and fly off into the middle of no where haha. I was having a hard time believing what I was hearing in the videos but I guess I heard correctly.

What is the purpose of doing this? Does it give you more power? Distance? Control?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 106
A disc is not a beach frisbee, don't curl your arm and let go. To throw a disc you use your whole body to use your arm as loose whip. When your timing and sequencing are decent there is no way to hold on hard enough and it will go further with more control. Check out the vids and read some:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums...hp?f=2&t=13291
Old 05-31-2013, 12:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 46
^this
Old 05-31-2013, 12:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemic View Post
I guess I'll have to try it out in a field or something. I feel like it'll just stay in my hand and fly off into the middle of no where haha. I was having a hard time believing what I was hearing in the videos but I guess I heard correctly.

What is the purpose of doing this? Does it give you more power? Distance? Control?
The disc doesn't just rip out of the hand whenever it feels like it. The "hit" is basically the point in time when all your momentum comes together and transferred to your wrist which opens slightly and that motion "ejects" the disc out of your hand. Basically the momentum you put behind the disc when opening the wrist and accelerate the disc overpowers your grip strength. You aim by directing that snap in a linear motion, much like throwing a ball. Once you figure this out aiming your shots will become a lot easier.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:46 AM
Par Member

Ok I think I got it. I'd imagine it'll take some time to get it down, but after watching the videos and considering what you guys have said, I see the idea. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2013, 09:06 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 26
If you strong arm it or 'round it', the point that the disc rips from your grip will be random and horrible, as you are worried about. Like others have said, pulling straight and working on your form will give you a consistent release point and you're accuracy will improve greatly.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:29 AM
Noodle Arm

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 64
Quote:
I watched Shusterick and it does seem like he keeps his hand closed when he releases the disc.
He is not "letting go" of the disc, but he has a loose enough grip to let the disc "rip" out of his hand.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 57
Quote:
Ok I think I got it. I'd imagine it'll take some time to get it down, but after watching the videos and considering what you guys have said, I see the idea. Thanks!
You said it here. Once you feel it once or twice, it just takes reps to get the accuracy down.

I think the answer to the "purpose" is, it gets the disc spinning drastically, which is part of what you're looking for.