Old 07-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 166
I carry 13 in the large pocket with room to spare for about 3-4 more and 2 putters up top. I can try to fit 18 after I get home from work and see how it goes.

For the post above that I forgot to answer the fishing rod holder fits a golf umbrella perfectly. It holds it vertically so you have to remember to duck under low branches .
Old 07-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 437
Throwing Style: LHFH
I wish there was a closer store I could go check these out in person, the deluxe looks to have some interesting features not sure it's best suited for DG though.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 100
Throwing Style: RHBH
I definitely applaud your creativity and ability to retro-fit a fishing/hiking backpack into a dg bag. I can't help but to think that there comes a point when a bag that is not engineered to be a dg bag will eventually reach it's limitations in functioning as a dg bag. IMO it would cause someone to spend more energy trying to constantly 'make it work', than just enjoying a bag that is designed and created for dg. Counter productive is probably the easiest (maybe not the best) way to say it.

I can put discs in ANY kind of bag (grocery, backpack, pillowcase...yes i've seen it), and yes, it will work! But at what put is the hassle of trying to make something work (because you can save money) for something other than it was designed for wind up being just a big pain in the...

Let me reiterate, really love the creativity and the thinking out of the box, but something in me makes me wonder if this is really going to work GREAT for you (and not make you spend any unnecessary energy out on the course i.e. does the bag sit up perfectly on any kind of angle and incline or will you have to spend a couple of seconds trying to find the best way to get it to sit up, does the bag have a yoke system to distribute the weight of your gear properly, does the retro disc compartment allow you to put your disc back w/ out using two hands or trying to hit the 'perfect angle' into the compartment and in a matter of a second so that you can move on to your next shot? Those are the kind of things that could distract me or cause unnecessary physical/emotional/mental energy to be spent on my bag and not where it needs to be which is on the course.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Eagle Member

Literally the only enrergy I have expended on this bag is figuring out where to put the safety pins and that took about a minute. I am not exagerating when I say this bag is almost identical to the Grip Eq bag which was "designed" for disc golf. I didn't just order it online in the hopes that it would work. I went to the store with a disc to make sure all of the dimensions worked.

My personal feeling is as long as you get a bag that fits your needs (ie size, quality, price etc..) it doesn't matter even a little as to what use it was originally designed for. I have a friend in Ohio that plays in PDGA tournaments (and wins Int divisions) with just a fanny pack on backwards. It holds his 4 discs and works perfect. I do feel slightly guilty for not supporting Disc Golf companies but I have found the quality and prices in bags outside of the disc golf industry to be significantly superior. I am like you in that I am not particularly interested in putting out a lot of effort in modifying or expending uneccesary energy on a bag. If you think what this bag is "designed" to do it is very similar to what a disc bag is supposed to do. Stay upright when set on the ground. Distribute the weight of the heavier lower compartment and fit comfortably. Top pocket for clothes and extra gear. Hold up in rugged conditions. Very similar to disc golf. I don't really believe using this bag is thinking outside the box at all, I think it is seeing an obvious but unplanned potential use and taking advantage.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol6566 View Post
The one pic online shows it holding the fishing rod. How would that work as a umbrella holder?

^ what about a stool? ^
Old 07-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 46
"I do feel slightly guilty for not supporting Disc Golf companies"

why? if they had a comparable product for a decent price i'm sure you would buy from them. they have to compete if they want business in my opinion. that said i understand your sentiment.

This looks very awesome, glad you found it and posted it for everyone else. I feel stupid for not thinking of the safety pin idea for the zipper on my bag's pocket, great idea! I have a strap that won't stay adjusted on my quadshocks... fixed!
Old 07-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 12
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...6&l=3e6b9e0ca8

How does this work for you? Converted this cooler to a bag, had the seat already and a putter pocket...adding disc dividers soon...
Old 07-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
^ what about a stool? ^
I have not tried attaching my stool to this bag yet. I got in the habit of just carrying it in my hand with my Innova bag. i will take a look at this tonight.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:04 AM

Courses Played: 52
Can you take a picture on how you did your safety pins? I bought the larger version of the bag and It is incredible as far as storage space. But I have a little prob with the discs in the bottom wanting to roll out, so Im thinking about building an internal frame.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Eagle Member

The first picture on the thread shows the safety pins. Did you need a closer up picture?