Old 08-23-2012, 07:41 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyJones View Post
I just traded for one of these from a guy who just upgraded to a Grip. He had used it for about a year and it is still in great shape. I don't think he ever built a frame for the inside, but I knew I wanted to.

Since I like to work with materials I have on hand (I'm a thrifty "Joe Disc-Golfer"...mentioned in an earlier post), I cut & assembled a pegboard box/frame and snugged it into the bottom pocket. However, I only like to carry about 16 discs or less (including putters), so I put my drivers and mids in the top pocket and my putters in the bottom front. The putters fit better there during play than they do in the top. But you can only zip one of them in. The other can go into the bottom compartment after play.

The bottom compartment has serious storage potential. Plus, I really like that it sits upright and I don't have to bend to the ground to pull a driver or mid. Putters, well...

I'm thinking of bolting thick wooden dowels or lengths of pvc to the underside of the bag (similar to the Grip's plastic runners).
I like how you have gone away from the usual setup for the bag. I don't necessarily agree with it but I appreciate the creative thinking. It never crossed my mind to try and use the lower pocket as a putter pocket.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Birdie Member

I gotta say I like that idea of boxing the bottom up for stability. Very cool.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyoel182 View Post
I gotta say I like that idea of boxing the bottom up for stability. Very cool.
Keep in mind that stability is not much of an issue when the discs are in the bottom.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Birdie Member

With a frame in there I agree 100%. You can't tip my bag over unless you really try.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Ok guys, I think I'm about to embark on this mod journey. Should I go with the pro or deluxe?
Old 08-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Birdie Member

You want the green one in my opinion. The blue one has more storage but its clunky.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyoel182 View Post
You want the green one in my opinion. The blue one has more storage but its clunky.
yaa what he said!!! the pro is also shorter making the ride higher on the back, way more comfortable up high.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 54
@Monkeyjones, I really like your idea of moving the discs higher off e ground.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:03 AM

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 42
reluctantly, I had to go the other way

After throwing a few rounds with the box in the bottom, I decided to add another mod. Since the box was made of pegboard, I was able to insert dowels into the top of the box, in a crescent pattern, in order to hold the discs more steady as they sat in the upper pocket. Well, halfway through the first round with that, all but one of the dowels had broken under the weight of the discs.

I wasn't really satisfied with how the discs sat in that upper pocket. They would fall crooked constantly. So, I decided to try out the pvc frame in the bottom. Going out for my first round with it tomorrow. Still using the bottom front pocket for my putter--it just fits so nicely. The upper front pocket looks and feels so sloppy with my putter leaning halfway out of it. Besides, I can reach around my back and remove my putter from the lower pocket without having to remove the pack for those "automatic" putts.

I know I'm going to miss pulling my discs from the top of the bag as it sits on the ground.

I built my frame to look just like this one: http://rattlingchains.com/?p=748

I could only find white pvc and the tri-elbows only came with two openings clear, one threaded. For the threaded openings, I had to purchase adapters (blegh...). Fully built frame cost was about $15 with pieces from Home Depot.

I'm considering completing the frame (top front) and going back to the upper pocket. The bottom would still be boxed in for stability and the top pocket would have the pvc to steady the discs from below...just not on the sides. We'll see.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 28
Just curious, to those who are still using this bag. Have any of you constructed or cut a flat peg board to size for the middle above the pvc frame for support? If so, what would be the measurements. I'd measure myself, but I'm at work.

Big shout-out to MrGlass! Thanks again for the bag mate! Good shooting with ya too!!