Old 01-07-2013, 10:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 172
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue9 View Post
If there is a store that sells high quality boots (Danner, White's etc.) and or repairs boots and leather ( in other words a cobbler) they may stock it. Otherwise you can find similar but lower quality products in the camping section of your local China product retail store (Walmart). :-)
Silicone and similar fabric treatments need to be re-applied periodically (just like shoes) and only make the fabric water resistant, not water proof. Play a soggy course and I bet the bottom is nasty after 18 holes of setting it down on soggy fairways and muddy areas. Also, it does nothing to improve durability. I suppose you could use it on the rest of the bag, but, other than the bottom, I don't see the need to make the bag water repellent.

If you're looking to treat the bottom of the bag, nothing beats the brush on Plasti-Dip. Not only does it water proof the bottom, but it's quite tough and fairly abrasion/wear resistant - it will really extend the life of your bag if you do it early (i.e. before fabric shows significant signs of wear). Flex Seal and Plast-Dip Spray work well, and are are easy to apply, but simply don't provide as much wear resistance as the brush-on's thicker coats. 3-4 coats should give you lots of ptotection and truly water proof the bottom. Plus, it makes it easy to clean mud and dirt of the bottom.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-07-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Silicone and similar fabric treatments need to be re-applied periodically (just like shoes) and only make the fabric water resistant, not water proof. Play a soggy course and I bet the bottom is nasty after 18 holes of setting it down on soggy fairways and muddy areas. Also, it does nothing to improve durability. I suppose you could use it on the rest of the bag, but, other than the bottom, I don't see the need to make the bag water repellent.

If you're looking to treat the bottom of the bag, nothing beats the brush on Plasti-Dip. Not only does it water proof the bottom, but it's quite tough and fairly abrasion/wear resistant - it will really extend the life of your bag if you do it early (i.e. before fabric shows significant signs of wear). Flex Seal and Plast-Dip Spray work well, and are are easy to apply, but simply don't provide as much wear resistance as the brush-on's thicker coats. 3-4 coats should give you lots of ptotection and truly water proof the bottom. Plus, it makes it easy to clean mud and dirt of the bottom.
I think he said he already coated the bottom and he was looking for water resistance for the rest of the bag.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankeye View Post
Yeah I have some of that for the bottom but I was talking about the whole bag :-)
missed that post...
Old 01-07-2013, 11:13 PM

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergz View Post
Hey Yang,

What are those dimensions of the PVC?
I used larrod's dimensions for the basic setup. discdognation posted a youtube with dimensions at the end of his vid. I think he did a full box if I recall correctly.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...&postcount=385

For the setup I changed to:
4 x three way elbow
4 x 90 degree elbow
4 x tee
4 x 10 7/8 inch
4 x 3.5 inch
2 x 6.5 inch
4 x 1 1/4 inch

All doable with one 10 ft pvc pipe.

Not sure how it'll go with the larger backpack.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:26 AM
The Perpetual Putter

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 31
Could someone with the deluxe bag post the dimensions of their internal frame?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:07 AM

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 34
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYang View Post
I used larrod's dimensions for the basic setup. discdognation posted a youtube with dimensions at the end of his vid. I think he did a full box if I recall correctly.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...&postcount=385

For the setup I changed to:
4 x three way elbow
4 x 90 degree elbow
4 x tee
4 x 10 7/8 inch
4 x 3.5 inch
2 x 6.5 inch
4 x 1 1/4 inch

All doable with one 10 ft pvc pipe.

Not sure how it'll go with the larger backpack.
Yeah I watched the discdognation vid and was going to use that frame but I'm not sure it will fit in the X-treme version. I sent a PM to Younggunlefty to get his dimensions since he has the same bag as I.

Thanks again!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:10 AM

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 34
I'll be testing out the Cabella XPG X-TREME version today, on my lunch break, sans PVC frame or sealant. I'll report back. It was nice to be able load my discs as well as my cold-weather clothing, including shoes, all in one bag for a change.

Hooray for Hockey!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:50 PM

Courses Played: 15
Has anyone tried painting the bag at all? I am looking to paint the dark green panels. I am trying on a small section now with acrylic paint, but its not looking so good so far. Anyone suggestions would be awesome. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 63
I made mine at the start of the 2012 season and here is what it looks like now, at the start of the 2013 season. Got it for $49 and free shipping. Have about $5 worth of pvc pipe in the frame. I can fit 18-20 in the main compartment, two putters up top and probably another 10-15 in the top compartment if I wanted to, but I don't. I can fit a hoodie, 5 towels, snacks, extra water bottle and gateway stash bag in the top compartment. All in all a pretty reasonable bag.

** One thing to note, when making your pvc pipe frame, I recommend going a bit short than most on the dimensions(I can get the measurements of everything I cut for anybody that wants to know them). It will make it easier to get it in and out of the bag if you want to actually use it for a tackle box(Which I do).

Old 01-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTigers View Post
Has anyone tried painting the bag at all? I am looking to paint the dark green panels. I am trying on a small section now with acrylic paint, but its not looking so good so far. Anyone suggestions would be awesome. Thanks.
I have toyed with the idea of using a bleach pen to bleach the green area and then re-dye it with a different color to see if it will hold.