Old 03-07-2013, 12:41 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 65
Throwing Style: RHBH
Not sure on the dimensions of the plexiglass, I did have to taper it since the front of the bag is is 1/2" narrower than the back. I just did a quick check of the internal dimensions, then tapered each side 1/4" to the front. I taped it since the edges are a bit jagged, I used a box knife and a crappy straight edge instead of clamps. A tight fit back into the bag, had to use needle nose pliers to close the top, but I don't suspect I will open it very often, if ever.

I also added adhesive backed rubber footing things (not sure of technical name, you can see them in the plexiglass picture on the frame) to the frame so the plexiglass would not rattle.

BTW be careful when cutting plexiglass without clamps, I had to be very careful as to not cut myself.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knarfks View Post
Not sure on the dimensions of the plexiglass, I did have to taper it since the front of the bag is is 1/2" narrower than the back. I just did a quick check of the internal dimensions, then tapered each side 1/4" to the front. I taped it since the edges are a bit jagged, I used a box knife and a crappy straight edge instead of clamps. A tight fit back into the bag, had to use needle nose pliers to close the top, but I don't suspect I will open it very often, if ever.

I also added adhesive backed rubber footing things (not sure of technical name, you can see them in the plexiglass picture on the frame) to the frame so the plexiglass would not rattle.

BTW be careful when cutting plexiglass without clamps, I had to be very careful as to not cut myself.
Alright, thanks for the help.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfanatic7 View Post
Well done sir. Very nice review. covered everything. The one thing I wish I could see is how it looks on you. How high it is on your back, and probably how much it weighs fully loaded and how it feels personally to you. I have one in the mail and it can't get here soon enough. Again great review.
It's adjustable, somewhat, you can make it slouch or ride up high. I like it a little higher so I can just reach back and grab my putter for easy putts.

Unloaded it is surprisingly light, you'll be pleased. Loaded is all personal preference. 20+ discs plus easily 1-3 pounds of stuff I carry depending on the course. Personally, very comfortable, zero complaints in that department.

Quote:

I actually went to hobby lobby and got a piece of "craft wood", 40% off, and just stuck it in there. Could be another inch thick, but it works perfectly for me. It's plastic sealed so weathering isn't an issue. Plexiglass was my next choice if the wood would've been harder to put in.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwfromthewoods View Post

And for anyone interested, the Under Armour bag is scheduled to be here Friday, so I'll be building something new over the weekend. Pics to follow.
Can't wait to see the UA bag.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 164
Quote:
I also cut a piece of plexiglass to act as a base between the compartments.
I sacrificed a legal size clip board for that (letter size is too small); stiff, thin, lightweight, cheap.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I sacrificed a legal size clip board for that (letter size is too small); stiff, thin, lightweight, cheap.
Did you detach the clip or just leave it on?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfanatic7 View Post
Did you detach the clip or just leave it on?
No clip. I cut a piece 6" x 13" (13" is why letter size won't work) and just placed it on top of the fabric that forms the "floor" of the upper compartment. top with it in place, and realized "Who cares if it's above or beneath the material?" Not worth the hassle and it really doesn't matter.It's actually supported by the PVC frame, so the seams and zipper don't bear any weight.

Leaving the clip attached would be a royal pain. You'd have to make two long cuts pretty much the entire length of the board on either side of the clip (instead of just one). Personally, I see no use for the clip inside the upper compartment - would just reduce storage IMO. I thought about trying to place it directly on the PVC (under the fabric) but I couldn't re-zip the

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 03-11-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Sorry for double post - interrupted while editing. This how the previous post should have read:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
No clip. I cut a piece 6" x 13" (13" is why letter size won't work) and just placed it on top of the fabric that forms the "floor" of the upper compartment. I thought about trying to place it directly on the PVC (under the fabric) but couldn't re-zip the top with the shelf in place. Then I realized "Who cares if it's above or beneath the material?" Not worth the hassle trying to squeeze it in and it really doesn't matter. It's still actually supported by the PVC frame, so the seams and zipper don't bear any weight.

Leaving the clip attached would be a royal pain. You'd have to make two long cuts pretty much the entire length of the board on either side of the clip (instead of just one). Personally, I see no use for the clip inside the upper compartment - would just reduce storage IMO.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:08 PM

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 41
another under armour bag

I'm bound to a very low budget, so I'm all about d.i.y. gear.
I recently found this under armour soccer bag at a thrift store for $6:
http://www.soccer.com/review/index2....219447&site=01
Unfortunately, it appears to be long out of production.

The PVC frame cost me $9 to build and so far I'm enjoying this bag more than my cabela's xpg for a couple of reasons--better accessibility to my discs and the two side pockets hold a sizeable water bottle each (one is a 24 oz. kleen kanteen). As far as modding the bag, I simply cut out the front pocket backing to gain frontal access to the main compartment. All the things I carried in the top of my cabela's xpg are now kept in the bottom pocket of this bag safely underneath my discs. There is one slight downfall--no devoted putter pocket, though a putter fits in front of the discs as shown below. The frame is shown holding 3 putters, 4 mid-ranges, and 10 drivers with a little shimmy room so my discs aren't mashed together. I keep my blunt gumputt underneath with other stuff since I don't use it too often.

It has a couple other interesting features as well, including a 3.5 foot fold out waterproof mat that is attached inside a zippered pocket underneath. This easily comes up over and around the entire bag for rain protection. I haven't fiddled with how to modify it for that purpose...yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front view bag.jpg (20.3 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg frame.jpg (28.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg mat.jpg (64.2 KB, 64 views)

Old 03-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 112
Had to learn how to hand sew

The alteration shop guy looked at me like I was crazy, so I had to sew all these mods myself. All the pieces came off either this bag or an old Innova Deluxe I had stuck under the house.

The shelf is a scrap of laminate. We first tried securing it under the top PVC bracket but that interfered with removing discs easily so after a little scrollsaw work and it fits above perfectly and also creates a stash spot for flat items like a rulebook between the shelf and the fabric divider.

I added in interior zippered mesh pocket to the top back seem, it just hangs along the back. The mini-pocket was made from the backing to the sunglass case. I also water-proofed the bottom with plasti-dip spray, super easy.

I really like the seat and how easily removed it is for quicker rounds but doesn't add much weight when in place. I'm not sure Ill add padding as it is already pretty comfortable but you can't use the top putter pocket when seated. The stretchable clip over the disc access area makes that a non-issue as it holds things well and easy to get to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0539[1].jpg (108.1 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0540[1].jpg (129.6 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0543[1].jpg (139.0 KB, 92 views)