Old 04-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredVegasDGC View Post
Everyone should know that on the Cabela’s main website the Cabela’s XPG® Pro is sold out due to the large demand with discgolfers. I had a Cabela’s exec find my blog post on my Cabela’s bag and sent me an e-mail on what I had to do to adapt it for DG. He wanted to know how many DG’ers I knew had a Cabela’s backpack and how they were holding up.

I told him how I built the lower section frame, waterproofed the botom, sewed in zipper stops, the top front pocket could be deeper so a putter could fit all the way in and the bag needed insulated side holders for 32oz bottles.Stuff like that.

My impression is that he was doing research in to either modifying the backpack for a Cabela’s DG version or doing it himself and marketing it on his own.

I told him he needed to get with the local DG scene and learn more about the sport and how DG wears and tears on a backpack.
I have one and it makes an absolutely fabulous disc golf bag. The problem is, once they customize/market it for Disc Golf, they will double or triple the price.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 109
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Everyone should know that on the Cabela’s main website the Cabela’s XPG® Pro is sold out due to the large demand with discgolfers. I had a Cabela’s exec find my blog post on my Cabela’s bag and sent me an e-mail on what I had to do to adapt it for DG. He wanted to know how many DG’ers I knew had a Cabela’s backpack and how they were holding up.

I told him how I built the lower section frame, waterproofed the botom, sewed in zipper stops, the top front pocket could be deeper so a putter could fit all the way in and the bag needed insulated side holders for 32oz bottles.Stuff like that.

My impression is that he was doing research in to either modifying the backpack for a Cabela’s DG version or doing it himself and marketing it on his own.

I told him he needed to get with the local DG scene and learn more about the sport and how DG wears and tears on a backpack.
Wow. That's pretty insane. Good on you!

I agree with the previous caller that the bag could double in price, but even at $120 - $150 with all the DG based mods (taken from advice from the DG community) it would still be a steal.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 28.4
Courses Played: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by theabacus View Post
I have one and it makes an absolutely fabulous disc golf bag. The problem is, once they customize/market it for Disc Golf, they will double or triple the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyCritters View Post
Wow. That's pretty insane. Good on you!

I agree with the previous caller that the bag could double in price, but even at $120 - $150 with all the DG based mods (taken from advice from the DG community) it would still be a steal.
I don't think the price would go up that much because I impressed on him the popularity of the back pack was in large part to the price and low investment in modifying it for DG. He said the bag would probably stay about the same price because some of the fishing aspects would be removed and replaced with DG options (like replacing the tackle boxes with a PVC frame). Basically keeping the production costs similar since the base backpack would not be modified.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Although I'm happy to know Cabela's might modify their XPG pro bag to a proper DG bag, I'm sad they are sold out now cause I really wanted to buy one.
Hopefully, this projet will see the light of day sooner rather than later...

In the meantime, anyone know of a place to get the now sold out model ? No luck in the Marketplace!
Old 04-18-2013, 01:26 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kp0c View Post
Although I'm happy to know Cabela's might modify their XPG pro bag to a proper DG bag, I'm sad they are sold out now cause I really wanted to buy one.
Hopefully, this projet will see the light of day sooner rather than later...

In the meantime, anyone know of a place to get the now sold out model ? No luck in the Marketplace!
Check out and post in some fishing forums. I used mine for fishing and gave it away to a member on these forums.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:00 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 166
Quote:

Am I going to get a cut of this???

A while back I sent a message to Steve Dodge suggesting he contact Cabela's to see if he could use Vibram's corporate connections with Cabela's to use this as the template for an actual disc golf bag. All the upfront work would already been taken care of! It would be just adding modifications to the existing process.

Seriously though, if we could get a major manufacturer to produce some relatively low cast bags I think it would be a win for everyone.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:21 PM

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tistoude View Post
Seriously though, if we could get a major manufacturer to produce some relatively low cast bags I think it would be a win for everyone.
A low cost bag is <$50 in my opinion

I generally believe that you get what you pay for in a bag like the Grip and others. There's more to one of those bags than a $200 price tag. Most of us just can't afford it.

But once you've modded your own gear, you've probably gotten a taste for it. Man, I've looked at some of my third graders' backpacks and said, "May I see your bag?" and I'm thinking, "This would make a sweet disc golf pack!" "Where'd your parents buy this?" I'm always browsing thrift shops and yard sales for them too.

There's a lot of appeal in improvising, modifying, and creating. D.i.y. is fun. Realistically, the amount of time spent tinkering, building, and testing some of the stuff we come up with could've been time spent making money somehow to pay for that nice $200 bag.

Okay, so we'd be doing the testing part anyway
Old 04-19-2013, 10:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 171
It'd be interesting if Cabela's does decides to release a DG version of the bag.
All the following mods should be close to net zero cost or cost savings:
1) swap plastic tackle boxes for frame (maybe they can find something cheaper than PVC)
2) swap real beverage holder for dry bag.
3) get rid of plier holder
4) eliminate the stiff rod holder and lake velcro loops about 1.5" longer to better hold camptime tri-pod stool
5) eliminate zipper on the "putter pocket."
6) More suitable external place for scorecard/pencils

6 is the only one I don't see savings or cost offset for.
I think they should be able to do it for about the same price it was selling for if they can get the mahufacturer to commit to keep producing it.

I also think they should reverse the botomm opening, so when iopen, you can tuck the flap in on top of the discs or fold it back out of the way, but that might take a more signifiacant change to the design of the bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tistoude View Post
Am I going to get a cut of this???
You should!

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 04-19-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:07 PM

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I also think they should reverse the botomm opening, so when open, you can tuck the flap in on top of the discs or fold it back out of the way, but that might take a more signifiacant change to the design of the bag.
Agreed

Old 04-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I also think they should reverse the botomm opening, so when iopen, you can tuck the flap in on top of the discs or fold it back out of the way, but that might take a more signifiacant change to the design of the bag.
THIS. for every backpack.

disc golf bag makers, this is one area you SHOULDNT try to differentiate from the grip.