Old 06-20-2011, 01:01 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: RHBH
I am by no means a dye expert, but when I messed around with it (just 3 to 4 discs). I tried this stuff called "Color right" and it worked really well. You can get it at bait and tackle stores or a good sporting goods store. I only used it once, but it worked very well.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
I was thinking the same thing about buying the pro level black.. (gonna go raid some Wal marts and such after work and root first for 10's).. thinking of contacting RIT and finding out if the only difference is the size of the container or if it's the formula.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 12
I guess I'll be looking through all the boxes I have at home after work today that haven't been mixed up yet. Guess it would be a good time to go hit up the local stores and stock up on what I can.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 29
This blows but I agree with others that theres other stuff.time to hunt for old boxs.

If you have a facebook look up mojo disc golf center. The guy was putting out gradient dyes and other stuff with another dye that wasnt rit. I tired to get it out of him what he used but he was being a dbag about it and kept telling me to keep looking. While I understand some people dnt like govong up secrets,i know damn good and well he learned to dye from youtube vids of chuck and others dying or even off here. most if not all dyers share techniques etc because thats just how the dyers community is. Maybe yall can bug him and try to figure out what he used. All I know is he said it was heated up much higher than rit and a different kind of dye
Old 06-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by booter View Post
All I know is he said it was heated up much higher than rit and a different kind of dye
Acid dyes that I use to dye Nylon have to be near boiling to be effective, I'll make some up today and stick a disc in it and see what happens. I've never tried it cuz the idea of boiling my disc for 10-15 minutes has never sounded like a good idea...
Old 06-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 20
Tintex dye works just take a little longer to get the deep colors. It's what I started with and their color selection is kinda small
Old 06-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 18
If you don't mind higher prices than Wal-Mart and the like, try smaller grocery stores. They usually all have Rit. And it's almost always older batches because they don't sell it as quickly as bigger stores. King Soopers and Safeway both carry it here. Checked Walgreens but didn't find any.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Howard View Post
Acid dyes that I use to dye Nylon have to be near boiling to be effective, I'll make some up today and stick a disc in it and see what happens. I've never tried it cuz the idea of boiling my disc for 10-15 minutes has never sounded like a good idea...
yeah, I baked a dragon trying to get it to take, no good, it turned into a roller for the most part. the plastic gets very soft about 170 degrees, at least that did, I also noticed if I boil a dye bath it develops flakes in it that I have to strain, and I don't have a great way of doing that yet.. can't find a coffee press at thrift store.

Just raped Michael's! lol.. had to do some digging but got all their old black.. 2 bottles is all no packets. got 2 bottles of old scarlet, 2 packages of old fuchsia, some old kelly green, and some other miscellaneous stuff. Have the day off cause of rain.. just got paid.. think I'll go hit the other walmarts in the area they are a LOT cheaper.. but the one by my house is completely picked over, grabbed a box of Golden Yellow and bottle of tan.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
yeah, I baked a dragon trying to get it to take, no good, it turned into a roller for the most part. the plastic gets very soft about 170 degrees, at least that did, I also noticed if I boil a dye bath it develops flakes in it that I have to strain, and I don't have a great way of doing that yet.. can't find a coffee press at thrift store.

Just raped Michael's! lol.. had to do some digging but got all their old black.. 2 bottles is all no packets. got 2 bottles of old scarlet, 2 packages of old fuchsia, some old kelly green, and some other miscellaneous stuff. Have the day off cause of rain.. just got paid.. think I'll go hit the other walmarts in the area they are a LOT cheaper.. but the one by my house is completely picked over, grabbed a box of Golden Yellow and bottle of tan.
So the bottles also share the anything until 11 on the last 2 digits is still okay rule??

Has any of the liquid pre-11 been bad yet? I dont normally buy liquid, but I am going to raid the craft stores/big box stores here on my day off tomorrow.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 18
I wonder how big of a hit their sales will take now?