Old 05-11-2012, 02:25 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
I wouldn't think there is enough dye in the pot to really change the color of a new dye. This being said I do use stainless steel, and I have 2 pans. 1 for light colors and one for dark colors. Bought them cheap at a goodwill store.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

It should be fine, and you can probably remove that residue with some elbow grease - mild scotchbrite pad with some baking soda. I use aluminum and it does the same thing but always comes clean. The residue is so minimal and if there's some left after hot water and cleaning, it's unlikely to come off in the next dye. The only time I'm anal about getting it super clean is if I'm going to be using a really light yellow or something.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to NorthernDisc
I use a magic eraser after dark colors to make sure they don't bleed into my lighter colors, but other than that if your dyeing all dark colors no need to worry.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:44 PM

Years Playing: 11.6
Thanks for the help guys. I kinda figured the dark to dark would be okay although going from black to say a semi-dark navy I didn't know if I should worry. Guess not. I boiled water in the pot two different times and it got a lot of the stain off. Then washed with hot soapy water. I'll try the magic eraser thing. Or I could quit being cheap and hit the goodwill for a couple of used stainless steel ones lol. Got a question about the actual dyeing. I used a packet of navy blue powder batch ending in 11. The disc took the dye so the batch was ok but it was uneven in spots. What could have caused this? I watched some youtube videos and found 10 minutes to be an average time to leave it in. Did my first dye for 10 minutes and wasn't as dark as I was expecting. This one I did 15 and for the most part it came out pretty dark. Its just lighter in some areas. I would take a picture but I'm not sure it would portray how it really looks. I put the powder in and filled the pot about half way up with water. Made sure it wasn't too hot or anything. Any thoughts?
Old 05-16-2012, 05:14 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to NorthernDisc
Don't know how big your pot is, but I use a stock pot with 32ozs of water mixed with my dye pack. Sounds like you just used too much water if you filled it up halfway.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:08 PM

Years Playing: 11.6
man you got some really cool designs. did you cut all those out yourself? some of that stuff is intricate. i've never been very good at drawing so it took me a couple of times just to do a simple yankees logo. i guess when i watched the youtube videos it looked like their pots were filled up farther than they actually were. i'll use the one packet of powder for 32oz of water next time. thanks. any other tips or tricks feel free to pass them along.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 43
I had never checked out dyes before, but when I went to JoAnn's today to buy some I noticed every single box/bottle had the dreaded 'ND' on it. I know this thread is old and most people have moved on, but there is still so much talk about RIT that others might find these pics helpful. Here's what the ND looks like: