Old 06-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Step by step instructions for dying discs

I've been meaning to do this for a while and finally decided to get it done.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a dye master. I do however know the process and am capable of putting out some fairly decent dyes.

Step 1: Removing stamp from disc.
This is what you need. 1) Acetone. get the 100% stuff. It's cheap at wal-mart or most home improvement stores. 2) cotton balls. These are soft enough they won't scratch your disc unless you scrub really hard or for a long time to remove a deep stamp.

Soak cotton ball with acetone. (Probably want to wear rubber gloves. Acetone is nasty.)

Rub off stamp.

Here is a clean disc.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Eagle Member

Step 2: Prepare vinyl.
I use 24" oracal 631 vinyl. This has been fine for everything I have dyed. Vinyl can be purchesed locally from a sign supply shop or online from ebay or signwarehouse . com among others. Cut the vinyl to the size of your disc. with some overlap.

Use your disc to draw a circle on the vinyl so you can put the image where you want it and also helps in centering after you cut it out.

Tape your image to the back of the vinyl. Use a light table of some type so you can place the image where you want it on the circle you have drawn. This is my ghetto light table in action. A section of glass from my glass coffee table a banana chair and a desk light shining up. Whatever works. Right?

Image on vinyl.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Eagle Member

Step 3: Cutting out.
By now you have probably figured out I don't have a plotter. If you want instructions for plotters.......Talk to someone else.
This is simple cut out everything you want dyed. Words of advise. Use a sharp xacto. Many people use a new blade for every dye. Limit lifting as much as possible. The more you lift the harder it is to connect your cuts causing problems with weeding. Or making overcuts that cause bleeding. The more you do the easier it gets.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Eagle Member

Step 4: Weeding.
This can be done on or off the disc. I typically weed off the disc. If you weed on the disc go to step 5 and then weed after the vinyl is on the disc.
Remove all the areas you want dyed. I use an exacto to lift the vinyl. I recently was told a dental pick works awesome and so I just bought one to try out but haven't tried it yet.

This is a weeded disc.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Eagle Member

Step 6: Placing image on disc.
Remove backing from vinyl

Using circle drawn on earlier or if it's a clear disc use light table and look through the disc and center the image on the disc.

Get as many air bubbles as possible out. You want to remove all that are touching any of the cuts.

Remove transfer tape.

Vinyl on disc ready to dye.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Eagle Member

Step 7: Dying the disc
The equipment. Rit dye. I mix my dye 1 package to 1 quart dye. And store my dye in 1 quart canning bottles. (All new formula dye is marked with nd. This will not work for dying discs. You must find the older dye. There are a few topics in this forum where this is discussed.) Pan and your disc.

Heat dye until you can just touch side of pan without burning yourself. Should be steaming.

Place disc in pan. You will want to check regularly to get the color you are after and also to check for air bubbles under the disc.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Eagle Member

Step 8: Removing vinyl
Remove disc from dye and rinse with running water

I remove the vinyl while running the disc under warm water. Seems to help the vinyl to release easier.

And this is the finished product. You may wish to freeze the disc for 24 hours to set the disc. Then throw the Dang thing. That's what they are for.

Hope this has been informative and helpful to all you wishing to dye and maybe some of those who already do.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Eagle Member

Crap Just realized I missed step 5 Don't suppose it's possible to move this one up where it belongs. Stupid 5 picture forum rule.

Step 5: Transfer tape.
I purchase transfer tape at the same place I purchase vinyl. Place transfer tape over the cutout image. This holds all little pieces in place while transferring the vinyl to the disc. I have found removing the transfer tape from the middle to the edge of the disc helps with preventing bubbles and makes it easier to get closer to the edge with the image.

Get as many bubbles out as possible and make sure transfer tape is stuck to the vinyl. I use a credit card. There are squeegees made just for this.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Eagle Member

OOPS! Missed the finished product

Old 06-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 35
This is awesome! Saw your Dye's at DGR and they a sweet! Thanks for Sharing.