Old 07-05-2011, 09:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: RHBH
Putting Practice

I'm sick of being a crappy putter, and I started trying to expand my practice to include longer puts. Instead of recording how many of 100 putts I sank at 15 feet, I made myself sink 27 putts at 5 meters, 9 putts at 10 meters, and 3 putts at 15 meters. It took FOREEEEEEEEEEEEEVER. I'm so tired.

I found I had to transition to more of a Feldberg style pitch putt at 15 meters to get any chance of sinking one at that range, but I can't imagine that style working well in significant wind. Anyway ...

What is an effective and proven daily routine to become a real putting machine? How many styles do I need to master to be able to handle various ranges in various conditions? What styles make a good combination, and which overlap?

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHFH
I just start out warming up about 10 ft. out then keep moving out till about 20-25 ft. and just putt from that distance. It's not about how far you can make putts it's about how consistently you can make your putts. I usually practice between 20-30 minutes any longer than that i loose concentration. I use to be a horrible putter since i started doing this i hit most of my 20 footers. I usually only practice my normal putting style and my straddle putts. I occasionally do a handful of turbo putts just in case i have to use it. Hope this helps
Old 07-05-2011, 09:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: LHBH
just do the mark ellis putting confidence video thing, and then maybe work on some jump/long putts so you know what to do in those situations, even if you don't sink them a lot.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.1
Courses Played: 80
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
I always disagree telling a new player to practice jump putting, it's not needed, could be illegal if you don't do it right and makes your aim lousy.
Others will disagree but it's still a dumb thing to do much less practice. There are better ways to be more accurate and consistent without jumping from any distance.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 76
The main reason I am trying to incorporate jump putting practice is becasue Feldberg says that the motion inside the circel is the same as outside, just less of it. But the stuff that I have been doing inside the circel doesn't even come close to working outside the circle. So I am trying to find that motion that works for jump putting and for inside the circle.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
I always disagree telling a new player to practice jump putting, it's not needed, could be illegal if you don't do it right and makes your aim lousy.
Others will disagree but it's still a dumb thing to do much less practice. There are better ways to be more accurate and consistent without jumping from any distance.
If there are better ways how come people like Climo jump putt? If it really is dumb, I don't see why successful pros would do it. It's gotta do something

What jump putting essentially does is take your stroke that you use for close putts and extends your range via a more powerful weight shift. Same putting motion for up close, but with more power behind it.

I do agree that it is not the best idea for new players to practice it, but they should be aware of what it is and what it does.

It also depends on the style of putt you use, mainly whether or not your shoulders are parallel or perpendicular to the basket.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 34
I won a basket in a raffle about a month ago, and have since DRAMATICALLY improved my putting...
What I do is pretty simple.
I start out around 20ft, just to get loose maybe 10 putts...Putting out any misses
then I go all the way out to 30ft+ (sometimes out to 100, but typically 50ish), to work on pitch putts... and I putt out if I miss for about 10 minutes mixing inhyzers and anhyzers to break up the monotony. Trying to make the long ones, not just laying up.

when I first started this, my misses could get out to around 20+...and I did a lot of "3 putting"
Now I'm pretty consistent on getting the disc inside of 20ft which has now become my "butter zone"

I then repeat the process with straddle putts (for awkward lies when I cant use my pitch putt stance).

Grand total... around a half hour...sometimes longer if I get into trying some trick shots... sometimes shorter if I'm having a bad day.
I try and keep it fun.

Last edited by RichMeade; 07-05-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
The main reason I am trying to incorporate jump putting practice is becasue Feldberg says that the motion inside the circel is the same as outside, just less of it. But the stuff that I have been doing inside the circel doesn't even come close to working outside the circle. So I am trying to find that motion that works for jump putting and for inside the circle.
I don't think that is quite right. I think he said that he is comfortable push putting out to 40, and after that he switches styles to a spin putt. He will also do jump putts and walking putts with the spin putt.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 83
My practice usually incorporates combining approaching and putting at the same time. I usually start around 100 feet out and try to take runs at the basket. During this practice I am looking for the combination of power, aim, spin, nose angle, etc where I can take a run at the basket but still land close if I miss, not dramatic blow-bys. From there I putt in the misses. The theory is that this best represents what putting will be like in real situations. Taking a stack of putters to 30 feet does not help past the third or fourth putter because by then you have already zeroed in on the necessary power and accomodations for wind. By playing where you land from your approach, you really do not have a grasp of the actual distance and must rely on instinctual distance like how you would on the course.

Is this the best style of practice? Probably not because it does not dial in the repetitive motion necessary to become better, but I have talked myself in to believing it is a good form of practice because it simulates a real approach and putt. My overall putting has not actually got any better from this practice, but my approaches are right on and easily the best part of my game. Sometimes I feel I am more accurate from 80-100 feet out than I am at 40-45. The amount of pars where I used to get bogeys has dramatically increased, and now in most cases I am getting those bogeys because of the bad close putts and not from missing a long put to save par.

However, I do make sure I get in my fair share of practice in the 25-30 foot range, of just taking that stack of putters and working on form. Hopefully someday I will be better.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 66
There's no "proven" method to becoming a good putter. The best advice is to make sure your practice putting confers benefits to your round scores. It doesn't matter if you can sink 100 putts in a row from 10m during practice, if you miss 20 footers during rounds.

You either need to focus on nailing down the precise mechanics, a scientific approach like Feldberg preaches, and then work on your mental game, or just putt based on "feel" and play more tournaments until you're able to hit clutch putts during rounds.

What is your specific problem? Flutter in your putts? Missing right?