Old 07-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 40
Wrist Roll with Mids but not with drivers

I don't know why but whenever I throw my mids I am more likely to roll my wrist over right before throwing which makes my mids either turnover quicker or go to the right when i was trying to throw straight.

This doesn't happen as much when I throw a driver...

Any tips on how to keep myself from rolling my wrist when throwing mids?
Old 07-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
First question I would have is what drivers are you throwing and at what distances? I would want to diagnose to make sure your drivers aren't just covering up the same problem.

With that said, it could be as simple as a grip issue. Are you gripping them differently?
Old 07-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 11
Send a message via MSN to drickanderson
You're most likely gripping your drivers tighter in anticipation of them ripping out of your hand. I personally have to focus on thumb pressure when driving with mids, or I get wrist roll which causes a ton of oat. For some reason I don't have to think about this when driving, but if I don't with mids/putters, then they're a mess.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoth View Post
First question I would have is what drivers are you throwing and at what distances? I would want to diagnose to make sure your drivers aren't just covering up the same problem.

With that said, it could be as simple as a grip issue. Are you gripping them differently?
I throw mostly predators, stalkers, xls, and a nuke for wide open holes.

I can get about 350 feet with the stalker and xl, a little less with the predator, and then about 375 with the nuke.

The XL flies as a long turnover and if I put enough height on it, it will do a very nice long S-Curve. The stalker gives me a shallow S-curve. The predator flies straight with it finishing to the left as it should. The nuke I throw different ways and it flies differently each way. I can hyzer flip it to make it fly straight with a small drop to the left at the end of the flight. I can throw it with a little anhyzer and it will hole the anhyzer line the whole way. I can also throw it as a spike hyzer but I would rather throw the predator as I can get the predator to get the same flight with less effort.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drickanderson View Post
You're most likely gripping your drivers tighter in anticipation of them ripping out of your hand. I personally have to focus on thumb pressure when driving with mids, or I get wrist roll which causes a ton of oat. For some reason I don't have to think about this when driving, but if I don't with mids/putters, then they're a mess.
I have thought about this as well. So I try not to grip as tightly with my mids but when I do that, they tend to slip out of my hand.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

No other ideas?
Old 07-09-2011, 09:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
Stop throwing mids...or learn to throw them. I'll bet you are still doing it with drivers, but they are masking it better. Reachback low and finish high.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

You're simply rolling your wrist, nothing else really attributes to rolling your wrist. You either do it or don't. Grip really has little if nothing at all to do with it. It's mostly a mental thing. Go practice in a field throwing Mids hyzer till you can consistantly control them. Then begin to work your way to flat. Not like 12 throws. I mean you should dedicate a few hours to this. It will help a lot more than just with mids.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

The other thing I thought of is to slow everything down in my runup when I throw miss. I have noticed that I am more likely to roll my wrist with my buzzz and not with my wasps or hornets.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 4
I have to focus on my hand finishing with my palm slightly facing the ground when I throw under stable discs. it's the same when throwing an Ultrastar for Ultimate. When I release the disc I have to make sure that my palm does not in any way turn up...I actually err on the side of my palm slightly facing down.