Old 01-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 32
Default Roc3 flight

I don't see many people talking about the flight characteristics of the Roc 3, probably because most people are waiting for the production run to start throwing them.

Those of you that have purchased a Roc3 to throw, what kind of shots do you typically use it for? Do you find that it covers a shot that you previously lacked? Is this a disc that will be valued for it's flight, or will it be known primarily for its collector appeal?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 69
Throwing Style: RHBH

There is an entire thread dedicated to the Roc3 and people talk about the flight and the collector appeal.

But this thread can help weed out some of the BS and really answer your question.

Okay this is what I think of the flight:

This thing is stable. Not understable not over stable just stable. It can handle power and it can ride on less power. The disc is fast but not very far. It shoots out of the hand but slows very drastic at the end of the flight. Speaking of the end of the flight, the fade is very minimum. The disc to me has really good glide and control over any shot at 300ft or less.

The disc earned a spot in my bag, but it also didn't boot anything out. I can trust that it will do exactly what I tell it to and not to worry about breaking it or turning it.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 1

^^So, it's an Axis.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Birdie Member

^^^^^No, its a Roc3
Old 01-13-2013, 01:53 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8URZ28 View Post
^^^^^No, its a Roc3
Sounds very similar to an Axis.

(And a Z Buzzz)
Old 01-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaFrenzy View Post
There is an entire thread dedicated to the Roc3 and people talk about the flight and the collector appeal.

But this thread can help weed out some of the BS and really answer your question.

Okay this is what I think of the flight:

This thing is stable. Not understable not over stable just stable. It can handle power and it can ride on less power. The disc is fast but not very far. It shoots out of the hand but slows very drastic at the end of the flight. Speaking of the end of the flight, the fade is very minimum. The disc to me has really good glide and control over any shot at 300ft or less.

The disc earned a spot in my bag, but it also didn't boot anything out. I can trust that it will do exactly what I tell it to and not to worry about breaking it or turning it.
This is an excellent and accurate description - so the Roc3 does not end up an all purpose mid, it is not going to be your overstable mid for big hyzers, and it will not replace your turnover mid, etc.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
Sounds very similar to an Axis.

(And a Z Buzzz)
I've seen several people call the RC3 a "Roc that flies like a Buzz." Mmmmm, not so sure. I think it CAN fly like a Buzzz, but not with the same throw. Side by side comparison to my CryZtal Buzz, very similar cross section except for the bead.

A beaded Buzz is a better description. Where my new Buzz will turnover just a bit when thrown hard, the RC3 really won't. Compared to standard champ Rocs, the fade is more forward penetrating than stubborn dump, but for me it always fades if thrown level. 176g. Nose up I get a pretty big left turn, but not a spike.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 29

Mine is 180g and flat and it fits right between my 175g gator and 178g buzzz. I think its a lot more like the gator than the buzzz though but different enough from both to keep all three.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 29

Mine is 180g and flat and it fits right between my 175g gator and 178g buzzz. I think its a lot more like the gator than the buzzz though but different enough from both to keep all three.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmattoon View Post
Like a gator? More stable than a Z buzzz? that sounds pretty overstable. haven't been able to throw a heavier one yet, but my lightweight one was pretty nice (166) it flew like you would expect - a little bit of turn if I cranked it and a decent fade.