Old 10-02-2011, 07:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooler Will View Post
What course is that?
Taylor Park in Largo, FL. It was hole 12.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Taylor Park is so much nicer than Cliff Stephens not as challenging but unique non the less my personally favorite park in the Clearwater area
Old 10-03-2011, 09:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: LHBH
I got three yellow/green flat axis and threw them a bunch this weekend at Hawk Hollow during the mid atlantic meet, everybody there threw them quite a bit as well. I should state this is the first time i've held any MVP disc.

Let's talk about the weather, friday was 70+degrees and steamy. The proton plastic had some tackiness to them and felt very grippy. my first 3 throws had very nice controllable high speed turn out to 250 feet with an 80% power throw, just like a beat GL core. Picked them up later in the night when temps were down to 55, they felt very slick. Same throw power and release angle these things no longer had any high speed turn and flew like hornets. The rest of the weekend was in the 50s and low 60s and they never flew like they did in the warmer temps on friday.

So, my question is mainly a general question about the proton plastic... is it relatively common knowledge that this medium proton plastic acts differently at various air temps?
Old 10-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 21
not gonna lie the buzzz might be going back in the bag...the axis and jokeri are in the same boat when it comes to me - i WANT to love them, but i just dont think i can. i have 3 fyi (just in case i do get rid of them, two 10/10 one 9/10)

3 more rounds sounds fair, then ill decide

EDIT:: @jrawk, ive noticed the grip change but not the HSS change...havent read much about it though so no its not like the "stable pink axis" rule of thumb i THINK

Last edited by GripEnemy; 10-04-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:27 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 11
Played a round yesterday with the Axis, and did well. I hit some blame putts for a change, which is something I am working on. Anyway, also got some field work with the Axis. I like it. It feels much lighter to me, than other discs I have of similar weight. It holds lines very, very well. I struggle to get an S flight out of it. It has no fade. It is easy to throw and powers down well, which helps me in the woods. I do not throw far anyway. Using it is more like using a Comet, than my S Scout or Z Buzz. The scout and buzz are more power mids, I think. I think the Axis is more of a finesse disc. To me, it flies like a Mako straight, but works lines much better. When was experimenting in the field, I got the impression that when I miss with the Axis, kinda like the Comet, I am going to miss big. I had a couple of early release issues on the course. I am going to keep working with it.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripenemys2k View Post
EDIT:: @jrawk, ive noticed the grip change but not the HSS change...havent read much about it though so no its not like the "stable pink axis" rule of thumb i THINK
well the HSS change would be proportional to grip strength, i would think.

so less grip = less snap = less disc rotation = stability loss = less high speed turn and more/quicker fade upon deaccelleration.

..... what?
Old 10-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post

so less grip = less snap = less disc rotation = stability loss = less high speed turn and more/quicker fade upon deaccelleration.

..... what?
Less spin = less stability = more high speed turn.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubuttib View Post
incorrect.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 21
Quote:

..... what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubuttib View Post
Quote:
incorrect.

jubuttib is correct actually, less spin does equal more high speed turn.

as for the grip/HSS, when my disc is WET and has worse grip i lose stability - but thats because i lose power definitely. when a disc is just less grippy than a counterpart i can still throw it fine, other then the occasional slip up which is completely user error.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripenemys2k View Post
jubuttib is correct actually, less spin does equal more high speed turn.

as for the grip/HSS, when my disc is WET and has worse grip i lose stability - but thats because i lose power definitely. when a disc is just less grippy than a counterpart i can still throw it fine, other then the occasional slip up which is completely user error.
wrong.

a disc flying stable when released flat is a disc flying horizontal to the surface of the earth (no hyzer, no anhyser). When a disc loses it's gyroscopic rotation from a stable state it will naturally angle hyzer aka LSS (low speed stability or fade measured in positive number). We say a disc is overstable when the majority of the discs flight path angles toward hyzer during flight.

The gimmic behind MVP overmold discs is the extra mass at the outer edges of the disc, allowing for greater gyroscopic rotation during flight, increasing the discs ability to hold parallel (or whatever release angle) before fading out.

High speed turn is primarily accomplished through disc aerodynamics and the discs ability to overcome fade at high speeds.... hence high speed is generally measured in negative numbers. Gyroscopic rotation is important for low HSS (turn) because it will keep your disc from flipping over and over barrel roll style. But when that rotation and disc speed slows down, low speed fade will increase.