Old 10-18-2011, 05:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

The thing about the C-MD2 vs. Axis thing is that the Axis is a great neutral finesse mid, whereas the C-MD2 is a fantastic neutral power mid. The stabilities are similar (flat, gummy C-MD2, the stiffer domey ones are more LSS at first) but the Axis powers down better whereas the C-MD2 powers up better and won't even take notice of 30 mph headwinds with a clean throw.

P and D-MD2's are closer in the glide department and great at finesse shots when seasoned. I'm not really a fan of the current P-Line plastic (the old one was better) and use an Axis instead of it, but I still keep a C-MD2 in there for wind and non-finesse neutral mid shots, as well as a seasoned D-MD2 as an understable mid.

And about the MD2/Mako thing, while they're similar the MD2 is just that much more HSS, so that you don't really have to worry about ripping it. I like the Mako but compared to the MD2 it's just plain touchy without being that much straighter finishing.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2011, 10:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to New013
i'm not saying their similar in flight, i'm saying in the hand they feel the same so it's a good combination of discs. the mako is definitely less HSS than the md2 and that's why their is a trend of beating them in and then using them as an US disc.

once you get used to the mako the turnover problem goes away if you have clean form. i rip mine on slight anny lines and almost never turn it over unless i'm trying to; and if you really want to get it out there you just hyzer flip it and it goes crazy straight for D. the advantage the mako has over the axis or md2 is that you can shape sharper left to right lines because the md2 and axis want to stay stable.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 10
I am really impressed with the axis it by far is my heaviest disc at 177 but man you get a good snap on it and the thing takes off. I would love to get my hands on a lighter one the thing might just fly to the moon just saying.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 199
So far my Axis flys in a similar manner as my Ions. It glides well when I put the proper spin or power on it. And it stays on whatever line I put on it. But like others have said, if you make an errant throw it keeps going that direction. It is also a little less stable than I hoped. It flys like a heavy Opto Fuse to me. That is not a bad thing. It's a compliment. But I already have a heavy Opto Fuse so I'm not sure if it fits in my bag. I need the lighter one also to try out.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
So far my Axis flys in a similar manner as my Ions. It glides well when I put the proper spin or power on it. And it stays on whatever line I put on it. But like others have said, if you make an errant throw it keeps going that direction. It is also a little less stable than I hoped. It flys like a heavy Opto Fuse to me. That is not a bad thing. It's a compliment. But I already have a heavy Opto Fuse so I'm not sure if it fits in my bag. I need the lighter one also to try out.
Yeah, this is starting to concern me. I don't need anything to overlap with my Fuses. Same thing goes for Cores though. Makes me think that maybe the Vector is the disc I really need after all to get me those straight flights and be a little better in the wind.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:23 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
Yeah, this is starting to concern me. I don't need anything to overlap with my Fuses. Same thing goes for Cores though. Makes me think that maybe the Vector is the disc I really need after all to get me those straight flights and be a little better in the wind.
If you need something in the vein of the Axis but more stable and can handle wind, get a flat C-MD2 (or beat in a domey one).
Old 10-19-2011, 09:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubuttib View Post
If you need something in the vein of the Axis but more stable and can handle wind, get a flat C-MD2 (or beat in a domey one).
Do those come in P-Line? (I know I ask when I will probably go search after this)

Basically the only thing my Fuse "can't" do; is perform great in a wind, or fade hard. I can add hyzer only so far and generally make it do whatever I want otherwise.

EDIT: And I searched and see they are indeed in P-Line. Guess the question is then "How do they perform in different plastics?"
Old 10-19-2011, 09:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Unfortunately I lost my beat Fuse last week...Hopefully I'll get it back, but in the meantime I'm Fuseless because the new ones I have overlap with my main Axis almost 100%. When I get some lighter Axis I'm thinking the Fuse may be in trouble, but only time will tell. As it is, that Fuse glides flat with less effort than my Axis, but only because it's lighter and beat.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
Do those come in P-Line? (I know I ask when I will probably go search after this)

Basically the only thing my Fuse "can't" do; is perform great in a wind, or fade hard. I can add hyzer only so far and generally make it do whatever I want otherwise.

EDIT: And I searched and see they are indeed in P-Line. Guess the question is then "How do they perform in different plastics?"
I've been going on about them for quite a while in the MD2 thread over at DGR, check that. The first run P-Lines were different from the current ones, they have a different top and some other differing properties. Check towards the end for stuff on newer runs.

The short version is that no, they're not quite as HSS as the C-Lines, and will turn a bit in heavy headwinds. They're still more reliable than the Axis in similar conditions. The main problem however is that all of the new ones I've seen have been domey, and headwinds slow them down quite harshly. The flat C-Lines are they best in windy conditions and when powered hard, the baselines are better for more finesse type shots.

Whether you should be throwing a neutral mid into heavy headwind though is another question... =)

Old 10-19-2011, 11:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubuttib View Post
I've been going on about them for quite a while in the MD2 thread over at DGR, check that. The first run P-Lines were different from the current ones, they have a different top and some other differing properties. Check towards the end for stuff on newer runs.

The short version is that no, they're not quite as HSS as the C-Lines, and will turn a bit in heavy headwinds. They're still more reliable than the Axis in similar conditions. The main problem however is that all of the new ones I've seen have been domey, and headwinds slow them down quite harshly. The flat C-Lines are they best in windy conditions and when powered hard, the baselines are better for more finesse type shots.

Whether you should be throwing a neutral mid into heavy headwind though is another question... =)
lol Yeah; if it gets really windy, I probably would just disc up.

The big thing of it having the P-Line is; although it isn't a 100% must for me, I sure do like a base plastic or 2nd level plastic option available to go with the premium plastic. Its the only downside to Lat and MVP IMO. If it flies close to the premium plastic version when fresh is a plus, but not necessary.

Thanks for the link. I will read through it throughout the day.