Disc Golf Store
Old 07-10-2011, 07:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 152
Throwing Style: RHBH
OB disc

Let me start by saying that I like to think I know the rules pretty well and try to keep up with them. I have been an official going on 3 years now (even though I am not current so am not offically official).

I volunteered to be a spotter on an island hole with a drop zone this weekend which was something I had never done before and was an overall good experience. However, something routinely came up that has me questioning my own sanity.

I had at least 15 people throughout the weekend tell me (adamantly) that it is against the rules to re-use a disc that has just been thrown in the water OB. I was carrying a rulebook and asked all of them to show me where that rule is and no one even attempted to do so. I even asked a pro on the top card and a pro master on the top card and got the same response. I have never heard this before and the only thing I can think is that it could be a courtesy violation or a violation of the time limit if you take too long.

The only rule that comes even close to this that I can find is under the section for foot faults where it states that you can't reuse a disc if called for a stance violation.

Am I going crazy or is this all a made up local rule? It wasn't stated in the players meeting either, fwiw.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 126
So they threw in the water, ran down to you, fished it out, and used it again from the drop zone
Old 07-10-2011, 07:28 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 207
I have never heard this, I can only think this would be a rule if you have to go out and get your disc and return to the pad.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Well I was fishing most of the discs out for players (cause that's how I roll...) but the scenario was more like, throw a few from the drop zone until they finally make the island, then fish out a putter and putt with it from 15 feet. I heard a lot of complaints that this wasn't legal. It really wasn't a matter of time or courtesy.

I'm just interested in finding the rule if it exists, because I don't think it does.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
I have never heard this, I can only think this would be a rule if you have to go out and get your disc and return to the pad.
But is it a rule even in that scenario and why? I understand the 30 second rule and that one is in the book for a reason, but I can't find anything about not using a disc that went OB.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:30 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 207
How hard was it to make this island? a few attempts?
in that scenerio there would be more than 2 minutes between your drives. I would assume it is an etiquette thing also, but I do not fully understand the scenario.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Never heard of that before.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
How hard was it to make this island? a few attempts?
in that scenerio there would be more than 2 minutes between your drives. I would assume it is an etiquette thing also, but I do not fully understand the scenario.
It is definiltely an etiquette thing (which would be under the courtesy rule). It was very difficult to hit the island, however it was a par 4 and most were attempting to hit it from 100 feet or less. The drop zone was right at or under 100 feet and it was possible to land as close as 40 feet or so before attemping to make the island.

I wouldn't even be asking about it except sooooo many people were soooo certain about it, even though none of them had rulebooks or knew where it was in the rulebook.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl scott View Post
But is it a rule even in that scenario and why? I understand the 30 second rule and that one is in the book for a reason, but I can't find anything about not using a disc that went OB.
Time would be the only issue besides just a little courtesy

Old 07-10-2011, 07:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Also, many times you had to walk onto the island to see if the disc was in or out (like when it rolled to the back of the island). I often did this but often the player preferred to look for themselves. At this point I don't see the harm in picking your disc up from the water's edge and using it for your next shot.