Originally Posted by prerube View Post
I used the search feature what else?
How Prerubian!

Quote:
It was in 803.05 Obstacles and Relief
Quote:
a spotter's chair can be moved. Anyone could have asked, just because they did not does not mean this guy can't

This just seems to make sense. I'm no rules maven, but ideally, a person (whether spotter, fan, or another player) or their belongings, really shouldn't have an impact on the game. It's one thing if you hit another player's disc, that's part of the game, but people or other equipment really shouldn't affect play in any way. If you think it's in the way, ask them to move it. Might not be in the other guy's way, or at the least, as Mr. Rube pointed out, they could have asked for them to move (it).
Old 07-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Spotter's should be on their feet and get the hell out of the way, they might need to hit one in the head to clear up this confusion. It blows me away that the spotted nut didn't move without being asked in the first place.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:46 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
I agree but OP stated that the spotter wouldn't move the chair and the TD agreed with the spotter's decision.

I guess some rules have to be very specific because some people lack your good judgment.
a TD has to look after his boys,he will rarely admit that a spotter he chose is wrong.

Last edited by prerube; 07-18-2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Overall motif joke deleted....'cause it was lame.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by giles View Post
he should have moved the chair, probably the same guy on 6 that told me the majority of my disc was out of bound so my disc was ob. He knows better now, but it was funny to me at the time. "this is a b-teir so if most of your disc is ob, you are ob, and I've spotted in 6 tournaments" I kept it to myself but I was think, "we play that game, I've played in 43 events including an NT."
Yet another reason why everyone should have a rule book in their bag...
Old 07-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 59
Last time I remember this begin discussed. It wasn't a spotter's chair, but a spotter's car.

https://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=28228 (It may be down a couple of pages)
Old 07-18-2011, 01:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
I agree but OP stated that the spotter wouldn't move the chair and the TD agreed with the spotter's decision.

I guess some rules have to be very specific because some people lack your good judgment.
the joke is, the very same spotter told me I was ob because "most of my disc was ob" his credibility is lacking
Old 07-18-2011, 01:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 43
I just want to know what kind of a-hole wouldn't move his chair out of the way?
Old 07-18-2011, 01:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 29
that was some bull**** . ive played with the spotter before and hes not too savy on the rules. regardless if he should of moved it by rules or not. it should of been moved out of courtesy just like he moves himself from the players line. he knows better,it shouldnt of even been an issue. and worm wasnt bent out of shape for no reason,it was bs and he had the right to be upset about it. i would of moved the chair myself,regardless. call my ass on it or not,that chair is not imbedded in the ground so its not apart of the course even if it was there before the rounds. i doubt that chair stayed in the same spot all day long.

either way, jesus should of moved it instead of just being a dick about it.ive played with him enough before to know how he can get sometimes if hes pissy. i think spotters should have a rule book on had when **** like this happens. while its not a common occurance,it obviously happens. and that thing with the ob...yea thats a joke. i dont care if the disc is almost all ob and only half an inch is in bounds. its still in bounds and they get relief of up to a meter away from the ob.

it actually really annoyed the crap out of me at the fact that john had to deal with that.

Last edited by booter; 07-18-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 24
The chair is not part of the course. The chair should not have been placed in the fairway in the first place. If the spotter doesn't know that or doesn't have any common sense of courtesy, then that spotter shouldn't be a spotter or any kind of official. Players shouldn't have to deal with that sort of BS mid-round.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 48
All right PDGA fanboys, here is the literal reading of the rule.

Quote:
With the exception of casual obstacles to a stance as described in 803.05 B, a player is not allowed to move any obstacle on the course. No relief is granted from park equipment (such as signs, trash cans, picnic tables, etc), which is considered part of the course. A player is allowed to request that other people remove themselves and/or their belongings from the player's stance or line of play.
So that means that a player may not move anything on the course themselves. Check. That also means that a player may request for people to move themselves and their belongings out of their line. Check. Nowhere does it require that request to be honored. In this situation, the player requested that the chair be moved. Thats fine, it is in the rules. The guy didn't move the chair. Thats fine, he is under no obligation to. Now the player must play the hole with the chair in the way. It sucks but you guys love the PDGA rules so much, play by them!