Disc Golf Center
Old 07-20-2011, 07:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Why No Relief from Harmful Plants?

Quote:
B. Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are in the stance or run-up area: casual water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, people, or any item or area specifically designated by the director before the round. The player must first attempt to remove the obstacle. If it is impractical to move the obstacle, the player's lie may be relocated to the nearest lie which is no closer to the hole, is on the line of play, and is not more than five meters from the original lie, as agreed to by a majority of the group or an official (unless greater casual relief is announced by the director).
The rule allows relief from harmful insects and animals, but not poison ivy or this giant hogweed thing? It just seems wierd that player's can get relief if they see an ant, but not if there is poison ivy or briars.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 40
I think the reason why is because those things mentioned in the rule aren't there all of the time but the poison ivy or hogweed is there and could be considered an obstacle. However I know that many clubs really do try to take care of any poison ivy issues that could pop-up but they are not going to be able to get every single bit of it. if that makes sense...
Old 07-20-2011, 07:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
Though I'd favor adding harmful plants to the description, some of the drawbacks are:

* Not everyone can identify poison ivy, etc., so rulings are open to dispute.

* Not everyone is allergic to the same things. Most are allergic to poison ivy but if I'm not, do I get relief to? I played with someone recently who claimed to be allergic to Virginia creeper as well; does he get relief? If he does, do I?
Old 07-20-2011, 07:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 82
Quote:
Most are allergic to poison ivy but if I'm not
Are you saying that you have no reaction at all to poison ivy? I thought everyone had a reaction to it, while people who are actually allergic to it blister and scar (me for example) instead of just getting a rash.

Quote:
those things mentioned in the rule aren't there all of the time
The insect nests can be permanent, or more so than a plant.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 40
Yeah, I am not allergic to it either. However I won't ever roll around in it...I don't want to take my chances.

I really good course with really good course maitenance crew will try to eliminate the major spots of any poisonous plant.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:21 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 572
The simple difference is that animals are mobile and can directly attack you whereas plants have fixed positions which can be seen.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
Are you saying that you have no reaction at all to poison ivy? I thought everyone had a reaction to it, while people who are actually allergic to it blister and scar (me for example) instead of just getting a rash.
Yes---some people have no reaction at all. They are in the lucky minority.

I was immune for much of my life, in it all the time and never a reaction. About 10 years ago I weedeated a big patch on our disc golf course, aerosoling it, and ever since I've been allergic to the touch (itchy rash level allergy).
Old 07-20-2011, 11:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 78
my situation is similar to david's- i never got it until i was 28 years old despite growing up on a farm and being around/in it quite a bit... all of a sudden i was severely allergic... that seems to have tapered off some at this point but i'm still somewhat allergic...
Old 07-20-2011, 11:34 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
my situation is similar to david's- i never got it until i was 28 years old despite growing up on a farm and being around/in it quite a bit... all of a sudden i was severely allergic... that seems to have tapered off some at this point but i'm still somewhat allergic...
That is exactly what happened to me. I hiked and camped throughout my whole childhood and never got PO until I was in my 30s. I got 3 or 4 really bad cases within 2 years. I haven't gotten it since. Maybe because I always have Tecnu when I golf.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 55
Isn't it an unsafe lie?