Old 07-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 68
Bardu's Bag

I am new to disc golf. I have played casually for the last seven years or so. Only played a few times a year. This summer, I have played almost every day. I have a small bag, here are my discs:

Star Leopard 168
DX Roc 166
DX Aviar 166
Medium Wizard 165

Those are the main discs I use. I also have:

Pro Wraith 175- I can't really throw this yet, so I don't use it.
Champion Rhyno 170- I like this disc, but I like my other putters more.

I was thinking about getting a Buzzz. What additions or improvements could I make to my bag?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHBH
How far are you throwing each disc?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 66
how far are you throwing each one and how do they fly for you? are you throwing forehand/backhand/both?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Eagle Member

I am guessing I am throwing both the Roc and the Leopard approaching about 200 ft on a good shot. The Leopard goes a little longer (than the Roc) when I really get a good shot with both. My putters I have been mainly using for short distances (30 feet or less?) and I have been using the Roc outside comfortable putting range. I always throw backhand. There is a hole on my local course which requires me to use my friend's Chammpion Valkyrie and throw sidearm, but I am concentrating on working on how to throw backhand first.

I just ordered a Super Stupid Soft Wizards at 173 that should be my go to putter when it arrives in the mail.

I am really just learning to play. I am struggling to drive consistently. My midrange and putting is the stronger part of my game right now.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 18
Stick with what you have, those discs are pretty solid! Spend several hours in the technique forum though!
Old 07-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardu View Post
I am really just learning to play. I am struggling to drive consistently. My midrange and putting is the stronger part of my game right now.
If this is the best snapshot description of your game right now, I wouldn't be worrying about building your bag. Lots of new players go plastic-crazy thinking they just need to find that magic disc that's going to make them play better (not saying that's your mentality). But a Leopard/Roc combo is one of the best to just play with until you can get them smoothly out over the 300' mark. Grab an overstable mid or driver (Pro Wraith is not my ideal choice) for little technical shots or forehands, and just learn to throw. No sense in spending $$ on a bag you can't fully utilize yet. Don't worry, you will get there.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 66
work on throwing the putters more, they have a lot of distance potential. if you like the roc maybe get another one so you can practice throwing them. which disc do you feel you have better control with, roc or leopard? how are you gripping them for backhand?
Old 07-26-2011, 12:32 AM
Eagle Member

Yeah, I definately am plastic crazy. But seriously, I am just trying to make sure that the discs I spend time learning how to throw are going to be the ones I want once I know how to throw them.

I definately throw the Roc with more control than the Leopard. The Roc and my putters are very nice controllable flight patterns when I get a good throw. The Leopard sometimes sails, and then sometimes it goes straight up and the beelines to the left and into the ground like my Wraith would.

I have been working on adjustments to my swing (I'm thinking mainly drives here). I take a couple of steps before I throw, try to put my whole body into the throw, and I am working on my follow through. All of this is new this year, in previous years I concentrated on keeping it level through the throw and really whipping it. I also noticed that my entire throwing motion was taking place at almost my waist level. After watching some videos I thought that I should raise my throw to more chest level. This feels alot better, allows for better extension, and in the few days since I made this change, my drives have been longer.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:40 AM
Eagle Member

Sorry for the double post, I tried to edit my last post, but I can't.

I wanted to add some information about my grip. My grip for drives is the power grip I have seen online. All four fingers on the rim. I use this same grip for midrange shots. I try to grip tightly. For putts, I put my pointer finger along the outside of the rim. The first joint of that finger is on the edge of the disc and the rest of the finger isn't even touching. My middle and ring fingers are extended to the middle of the disc. Sometimes I use my pinky on the disc and sometimes I don't. I grip puts very loosely.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardu View Post
The Leopard sometimes sails, and then sometimes it goes straight up and the beelines to the left and into the ground like my Wraith would.
This is because you are throwing the disc nose up...but you already said that you are working on throwing level across your chest. That will cure your leopard problem.